Olympiacos v. The Arsenal, Thursday February 20, 2020 2000GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Feb 18, 2020.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So it's Europa League time again, and off the back of a quite good (if anxiety inducing) win. London to Athens is a three and a half hour flight, which is less than I thought it would be and about as long as Boston to Miami. Quite a few good teams are still in the Europa League: Roma, Wolves, Leverkusen, Wolfsburg, Sevilla, Frankfurt, Salzburg, Inter Milan, and the Portugese clubs. Should be interesting to see the lineup for this one: I'd expect Lacazette and Douzi to start this one, though Arteta seems determined to send a message to Douzi. Also, would like to see Kolasinac get a game and have Saka playing further forward.

TV: in the US, BR Live and something called Galavision TV
    Time: 2000 GMT/1500 EST

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On my DVR guide it shows up as on Galavision, which is a relative of TUDN/Telemundo/Unimas/etc. En espanol of course.

As for personnel, when I saw who was missing from our last XI, I assumed that we might see Laca, Martinelli,Torreira & Sokratis start in Athens. And Martinez of course. Guen maybe, but it seems he still may be in Mikel's doghouse.

I hope we can skirt any match-fixing (or worse?) by their lovely owner, and get in and out of Piraeus with a win, or score draw.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I expect we see a lineup change and torreira back

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Torreira and Ozil are supposed to miss this. Team pretty much picks itself then?

5. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any new news on Guen? With reports of him having an attitude over the weekend about not being picked for Newcastle, I wonder if it might have been part of Mikel's plans to play him in this one, or if Arteta is trying to make a bigger point with him. Ceballos certainly earned a spot if he wants it, and not sure if Willock gets a start if Ozil is out.

Frankly, I'd be open to seeing Nelson or AMN get a crack at an attacking central midfield as well, but don't think this is the game to try them in that role.

6. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, guys, I'M BACK!!!

I have been putting the finishing touches on my new subsidized 1-bed-1-bath apartment here at Sporting (for football reasons) Bishop Park here in Port Townsend, and back last week I got myself that Roku Ultra box for my newly-reconfigured (more compact for a smaller dwelling obviously) home theater/audio system, so I WILL be able to catch this crucial EL match tomorrow afternoon at noon PST on BR LIVE!!! I've got the $2.99 for the match, it'll be taken out by PayPal through my Roku account, so this should be no problem. why didn't I do this earlier, it sure is great when you can watch almost anything ON DEMAND instead of waiting for it to air!!!

COYF'n'G!!!

BTW, will Liverpool ever lose a goddamn match for Christ's sake??? I want our Invincibles' legacy to be safe for yet another year (preferably another 100 years, that'll make it 116 years total), I guess if Norwich (or anybody else for that matter) can't do it, I guess we'll have to when we next get them at The Emirates.

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -------- PEA ---- Laca --------
    Martinelli -------------- Pepe
    ------- Xhaka --- Dani -------
    Saka - Mari - ??? - Bellerin

Don't think it would happen but that's what I would do. Have Laca & PEA take turns dropping back in the 10 role on defense.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see you back man.

I guess nobody around here suggested to you the idea of streaming? ;)

As for Liverpool's run, I hate to break it to you, but they are 6 games away from tying our record. And we don't play them until 10 games from now... too late I'm afraid. But within the next 6 games they go to Everton and Man City... those may be the 2 best bets to kill their streak. Pray!

BIGHMW repped this.
  9. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only hoping they at least LOSE a match, any match, that in itself will guarantee The Invincibles' legacy (part of our legacy was that we went unbeaten in 2003-04, don't forget about that) to be safe for yet one more year, but at least we get another shot at them, although they may be crowned champions by then.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna have to miss this match in real-time today. As a result somebody else may have to make a post or two here during the game. ;)

11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What strange sorcery is this.

12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little surprised that Mari isn't getting a start. Very surprised that we are playing Mustafi at RB.

13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Huh

14. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love our Starting XI, Laca and Auba up top, Guendouzi gets a chance to earn his job back and get out of Mickey's doghouse, but I don't know who's on the bench, is Nicolas Pepe available or did he skip the trip, I've heard awful good things about him, I hope we see him in action later on.

We are confirmed for B/R LIVE at noon, I already set up my account with them, and am paying per match as I only will be watching The Gunners so no need to do the monthly thing quite yet with only 9 days left in the calendar year, so COYF'n'G!!!

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hope Mustafi plays well. That's a big risk to play him there.

Willock doesn't belong in any starting XI, but I'd like him to prove me wrong.

16. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me or is Sokratis playing RB???

17. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laca should've buried that chance, blown opportunity there

18. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is Sokratis

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He is.

AMN must have ticked off Arteta in some kind of way.

20. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great chance on that free kick if it doesn't hit Martinelli

21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Willock just had one of the most ill-timed jumps I've ever seen. He probably should have scored, but instead missed the ball underneath him and to his left, and committed a foul trying to overcorrect.

He's very involved in the game though.

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Meanwhile, I completely forgot Aubameyang was playing. He's completely wasted on the wing.

23. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got some spunk that's for sure

24. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    interestingly, arteta appears to like/trust sokratis at RB more than mustafi. he's already been out there once before.

25. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xhaka off Ceballos on