Olympia 2016 - We're going to Rio (again)

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by icebreaker, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    For the first time since 1988 Germany has qualified for the Olympics from 5 until 21 August 2016 in Rio de Janeiro. I thought it would make sense to discuss the team and news around the tournament in a separate thread.

So far, Brasil (host), Argentina, Mexico, Honduras, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, Nigeria, Algeria, South Africa and Fidji have qualified. Players have to be born after 31 December 1992, i.e. all players born 1993 or younger, in addition three over-age players are allowed.

Team size: 18 players.

So, who do you think will go to Rio for Germany? Especially considering that the Euros will take place just before that tournament. Who would you like to see as over age players?

2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A lot depends on if the clubs will agree to let them go at the beginning of the new season missing out on preparation and a few games. If they could go as they like I think players like Tah, Süle, Weigl, Arnold, Stendera, Brandt, Meyer, Goretzka, Sane, Selke and Werner are already in.

NUFCBayern repped this.
  3. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Are the Olympics part of the FIFA calendar? I can never remember. If not, I can imagine many clubs blocking the participation of their players.

4. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #4 Epitome990, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Staying with relatively realistic options for this tournament, I'd go with a team like:

Forwards: Volland, Werner, Sane, Selke

Midfielders: Kramer, Geis, Draxler, Arnold, Weigl, Meyer

Defenders: Weiser, Süle, Tah, Plattenhardt, Ginter

Goalkeepers: Horn, Karius, Wellenreuther

Notables: Red Bull will unlikely let Selke go. So if that is the case I would send Maxi Philipp from SCF. Or possibly another midfielder like Gerhardt or Goretzka. If Wolfsburg doesn't allow Draxler, then maybe Amin Younes instead.

5. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #5 Epitome990, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    I've left out other eligible players like Emre Can and Rüdiger due to unlikelihood of being given permission by their clubs to participate. Same with Gnabry, who also has a serious lack of match practice. Mukhtar has completely fell off the radar since his move abroad and is not relevant right now anyways. Forgot to mention Kimmich, but he could be a yes or no decision depending on Bayern. An additional striker like Lasogga, Kruse, or Ginczek could possibly get a chance depending on how the over aged player spots are utilized.

6. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #6 Epitome990, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  7. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  8. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I don't think Leroy Sane will be in the Olympic roster, he should be in the senior squad for Euro 2016, Ginter too .

And I think Weiser has a slight chance of making the final roster as well(he is just one injury away, Howedes most likely won't make it to Euro)

The realistic roster:

GK) Horn, Karius, Wellenreuther

DF) Sule, Tah, Heintz, Philipp Max, Plattenhardt, Gerhardt

MF) Kimmich, Weigl, Geis, Goretzka, Arnold, Stendera, Max Meyer

FW) Volland, Lasogga

9. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Why does your team include 2 LBs + 1 more midfielder who could be suited for that position? Doesn't balance out when the other 3 defenders you mentioned are CBs. Yanni Regäsel at RB could be an option. Played some good games there for Hertha already.

10. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Does the Olympics allow 3 overaged players too?

11. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Yes. Three overage players. But I'm not sure if we really should. I'd like to see most of the U21 players who managed to qualify us.

12. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    If Pascal Stenzel makes a positive impact on loan at Freiburg, then he's worth considering for the Olympics.

13. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Levin Öztunali to the Olympics is a must. He's making really good strides lately and IMO should be MOTM in Werder's Pokal victory against Leverkusen. His dribbling has improved considerably, along with having exception speed that he has shown ever since being asked to play more of a wide position. He can provide that element of impact for this team.

14. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Good call, Stenzel has been a beast lately for SCF ever since he got a chance to start. :cool:

15. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  16. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    As the season progresses and tournament gets nearer, here's an overall pool of '93 or later born players who should receive consideration to be chosen for the Olympics. Leaving off Draxler, Can, Rüdiger, and Ginter because they've been with the senior team for some time now. Put an * beside Weiser and Tah as they also deserve a fair chance of going to the Euros instead. Left off options for over-aged players because that is pretty open.

Goalkeeper: Horn, Karius, Wellenreuther

Right-back: Weiser*, Regäsel, da Costa, Stenzel, Klostermann

Centre-back: Tah*, Süle, Stark, Heintz, Kempf, Baumgartl, Akpoguma

Left-back: Max, Toljan, R.Bauer, Günter

Central/Defensive Midfield: Geis, Goretzka, Kimmich, Gerhardt, Dahoud, Arnold, Christiansen, Weigl, Stendera, Kohr, Erras

Attacking/Wide Midfield: Meyer, Sane, Amiri, Brandt, Younes, Öztunali, Gnabry, Bittencourt

Forward: Werner, Selke, Füllkrug, Philipp

17. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    That looks like a very likely pool of candidates to me and certainly one that should be competitive at the Olympics, provided the players get released.

18. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Kimmich n Weigl probably deserve to go Euro too

19. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Maybe one of them, but doubt there's room for both on the senior team right now. They'll also unlikely get much playing time in the Euros. So I'd rather see them have a larger role on the Olympics squad.

20. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like the team but can't see how a Tah or Weiser deserves a shot at the EC instead guys like Weigl and Dahoud who play a even better season.

21. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Probably more to do with the positions that Tah and Weiser play in. The NT doesn't have much depth at CB, especially with some injuries atm, and RB has been a problem since Lahm retired.

On the other hand the squad is over loaded with talent in midfield, which makes it harder for players like Weigl and Dahoud to break in.

22. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Central defense and fullback are the big problem areas. Getting into the midfield or attack in this side will be very difficult. I don't think we will see any new midfielders until after EM2016 when Bastian will retire.

23. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  24. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    With the form he's been carrying lately, Julian Brandt should be a starter on this Olympics team. Another strong game having just scored against Wolfsburg. Also his 4th match in a row contributing with a goal or assist.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  25. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    #25 timh19, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016