Olsen and Kovalenko Extend Contracts

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCU9ted, Oct 16, 2003.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    This is great news.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So how much are they gettig paid? We've got cap questions to consider here ...

3. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    :D

Excellent! Our two most active and productive midfielders will be back.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Any idea how long their new deals are for? It would be nice to have them both around for 3-4 years.

It's certainly a big worry removed for United management - losing these two would have been tough replace.

5. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I am very happy that Ben is coming back!

He is one of my all-time favorite DC United players.

“I’m very, very excited to re-sign with D.C. United,” said Olsen. “The people of Washington, DC have made it easy for me to call the Nation’s Capital my home and I hope to remain with United the remainder of my playing career. I started here and I want to end here. I love this team.”

We LOVE you BEN!

I still think he has the talent to be playing in the EPL, Serie A or La Liga.

As to Dema, I was not impressed with him at first, but he seems to be a happy-go-lucky type of guy who happens to be very intense on the field.

I do like the fact that he has put the team first and played the position he has been told to play, i.e. a more defensive midfield type role. Any player who has that attitude is okay in my book.

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Great news! But to underline what Sandon and Benjamin said above- for how much and for how long? Hopefully Stephen Goff can get us some news....

7. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good

this is hudge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WAIT we want benny to stay here

9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, but if he leaves now, we at least get an allocation.

How does this fit in with the conspiracy to keep Ellinger from being a coach next year? :rolleyes:

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Smart moves by both of them. No chance Ben was getting any offers from overseas and now if he can get healthy and put a solid year in next year, then MLS can get some money for him.

11. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    trask told a bunch of us before the season at the exchange that we would love dema. i didn't really believe him at first but man you have to love his intensity and effort. i like a guy like that in our kit.

of course ben has always been special here and always will be. i am so delighted he is staying.

its great that two of the most intense guys on the team will stay with the side.

12. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    What a great friecking day.

My favorite player is re-signed, and Pedro blows it for Boston.

:D :D

13. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Olsen is getting much of a raise. Wasn't he at 175,000?

I'd imagine Dema is close to that as well.

I can't see either being at the max salary.

Deals are probably for 3 or 4 years.

That would be fair value for all involved, IMO.

14. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    It is great news both of them are staying. At the same time, I wish DCUnited management had put negotiations on hold until the end of the season.

I guess that wouldnt affect Ben so much since he is injured, but at the same time, other players on the team now will want a resolution to their contract situations.

My guess is that they signed for 2 or 3 years, but that means nothing if a club overseas makes a big offer (unlikely scenario).

15. To Paraphrase Benny:

“I’m very, very excited to be a fan of D.C. United,” said The Far Side. “The team of DC United have made it easy for me to call the Nation’s Capital my home and I hope to remain with United the remainder of my soccer cheering career. I started here and I want to end here. I love this team.”

I am very happy that Benny and Dema will be here for a few more years to come. I love both of these guys and thier attitude of never say die. Viva la DC United!

-The Far Side

16. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
  17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote both articles:

"As per league policy, terms were not disclosed and the length of their deals was not specified, but United technical director Dave Kasper said both contracts go beyond the 2004 season."

"Per league policy, specific terms of their agreements were not released."

This is why this league continues to have credibility issues. If you don't want to disclose the salaries that is one thing. But to not give specifics on contract length, come on. This is again further proof of the Mickey Mouse nature of this league.

Rant over, great news for Benny, Dema and United.

18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I agree with you in theory that it would be nice to at least know the legnth of MLS player contracts.

But I hope the league hq has some defendable reasons for keeping these facts private.

Perhaps someone with some legal training could shed some light on the subject of the legal benefits of a single entity structure such as MLS wanting to keep these employee contracts as private knowledge.

But it sure does suck from the fans' perspective, to be kept in the dark on these types of issues. But I don't think we need to be listing this under Mickey Mouse type behavior. Fake grass and OT, that's the MM sh!t to be upset about.

But yes, it's great to have Benny and Dema signed to DC past 2004.

19. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So each player has signed on for at least one more season. Maybe there are league options for following years. Usually, they announce when they have solid 2 or 4 year deals.

I wonder if this is for each guy to prove that they can perform consistantly for more than one season (Ben is coming of 10+ years-or so it seems of injuries, and Dema is coming off of a bad year last year).

20. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like every other league sends out a press release with contract details. Some do, some don't. Sometimes the union lets it out, which is what I would expect a union to do when it gets going here.

But right now the league holds the cards and usually has a lot of option years, which is why length is a prickly subject. And the players have nothing to gain by talking about it to be honest.

Sure, I'd like to know, but it's not something that makes me think any less of either side because it's not in a press release. I can think of a load of things I'd rather know before contract lengths.

21. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Great idea. Ask the Baltimore Orioles how it goes waiting too long to start contract talks with star players.

22. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    And with Mike Mussina went any and all of my ties to that crap team...

23. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    This is great. Both these guys are key to our team. Olsen has solidified his place as a United icon.

Way to go Uncle Phil!