Old fart Paul Gardner rips the U-17's......

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Cweedchop, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Sorry that I can't provide a link, but in this month's issue of Soccer America, our favorite douche bag Paul Gardner absolutely hatchets the U-17 World Cup team, coaches and the overall effort in Finland..

With that being said, the US didn't exactly play inspiring soccer, but he fails to realize that these are kids and we simply don't have the finances and the ability to play the type of soccer that he desires, which is beautiful flowing soccer with a minimum of 5 to 6 Hispanic players on the field, because apparently they are the only players who have any technical ability whatsoever..

This man really does grate on my nerves..

Again, sorry for the lack of a link, but if you get the chance to read this article at your local book store, do it..

What a tool he is.. He makes Jamie Trecker look like a genius....

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  3. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    I have not read the column but I totally disagree with anybody talking about our u17 soccer players, they are highly motivated althought I can say the same about some of our coaches and the directives....I think Paul is barking at the wrong three...

4. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    sorry but

I know it annoys lots of people in US Soccer but the "old Fart" is right this time. The 17'S underachieved and we must question the whole process. The first class in 1999 was outstanding and we assumed the Donovan's and Beasley's would graduate from the program each time but it hasn't happened. Lots of money is being invested with very little return on the field.

5. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Re: sorry but

Very little in return?

Adu will most likely be a world class player..

Spector is already signed by ManU

Szetela is being looked at major European teams

Probably anywhere from 5 -10 of those players will be full-time pro's in MLS in less than 4 years, not to mention the following players from previous Bradenton camps, including the Donovan team:

Donovan
    Beasley
    Countess
    Convey
    Onyewu
    Yi
    Akwari
    Beckerman
    Quaranta
    Johnson
    Stone
    Capano
    Mapp
    Magee

Hell, that doesn't even include the college kids who undoubtedly be good pro's including the concencus #1 pick Chad Marshall from Stanford as well as Ryan Cochrane, Chris Wingert, Jordan Harvey and C.J. Klaas among many many others..

It's one thing to be disappointed with our finish (oh, by the way, the two teams we lost to were in the final, but you probaby didn't notice that as well as back in 2001 we were in a group which featured finalists Nigeria and France.. We were the only team by the way to score more than one goal against eventual champion France losing 5-3), but to dismiss the talent that has come out of that program is just plain wrong.....

It's not about winning meaningless youth championships (which would be great no doubt), it's about developing talent for the big boys and I dare you to say that Donovan and Beasley had nothing to do with our great showing in Korea..

Paul Gardner is a dinosaur in soccer circles.. Looking at what he wrote is correct in that the team didn't play well after the South Korea match, but his indictment that the system isn't working is based solely on his ridiculous notion that free flowing football is the only way to go..

6. Isisbud

Isisbud New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Encinitas
    Every one of the players you cite were very good BEFORE Bradenton.

Why do you think that they were "made" there? SUre, they develop there TOO, but just as any 16 year old would develop.