Oktoberfest

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by JohnnyCash, Aug 11, 2004.

1. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    Hey, I've got some vacation time and was thinking about going to Oktoberfest this year. Anyone ever been? Tips or advice?

2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    From a Bavarian friend, advice if you decide to go:

Ok, here is my advice: Best tent: Schottenhammel (avoid Loewenbraeu - too many tourists). You need to be there early (before 4 - 5 pm, otherwise the tents will close). More advice at http://www.toytownmunich.com/lofi/index.php/f42.html

3. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Book a place to stay in Munich or closeby ASAP.

4. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    Well it starts September 18th this year. I'm not sure i'll be able to dig up the cash for airfare and alcohol though. I have a friend that lives there so i could stay with her for free.

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    save the money for beer and start swimming now!

6. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    its the time of your life- whether you are going solo, w/friends, girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband/whatever.

i went 2 years ago, and it was the time of my life. all the tents have different kinds of people. i went to 'em all and have to say i liked the hofbrau tent the best. they uniquely had 'pen' tyoe area in the middle of the tent where there were high tables with no chairs. it was right in front of the band too. it made it easier to go around and meet lots of people.

well, i could go sooo much further into this but i will say book in advance for your hotel if you are staying in one. go for a cheap place, like near the main train station (especially since you will be taking the subway/u-bahn to the 'fest). eat before you go to the fest or before you go into the tents, b/c its very easy to forget to eat the rest of day/night :)

there are soo many great memories from the trip, one quick one- i still laugh out loud (like i am now as i type this) b/c as the night goes on, the german bands play american rock music, and i find it hysterical that germans know every word to "its my life" by Bon Jonvi and "Country Roads" by John Denver.

all i can say is go!