Oklahoma City in design stage of MLS soccer stadium:

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Laramie4OKC, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Laramie4OKC

Laramie4OKC New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Oklahoma City area officials (interested parties) will be in Edmond, OK on Tuesday, August 27 to meet with stadium design companies who will be making stadium design presentations and the public is invited. Lamar Hunt who owns MLS franchises in Kansas City and Columbus will also be present.

That and this report from the Daily Oklahoman:

Meeting to address soccer stadium possibilities

http://www.newsok.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=906927&pic=none&TP=getmoresports

2. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    good news indeed... but remember McKinney?????...

3. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    The difference is that in this case a stadium WILL BE BUILT...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but McKinney was going to be part of a soccer complex.

An Edmond project would involve a Div II college with a small stadium already and high schools that need a good facility.

The wild card in this one is: how much $$$ would Express Sports and possibly Hunt be able to put into the kitty to give the stadium the right seating capacity and get it up to MLS specs?

Answer that question and you could also find out to what extent an MLS team would be the first option in dates, revenue, etc...

Keep in mind Wantland Stadium already exists with a capacity of over 10,000... Dig up that worthless asphalt track, and with a few other little renovations and increased seating and you very definitely have a wide enough field for MLS...

Wonder if Mr. Hunt has ever gone on the big soccer boards?

4. clevfutbol23

clevfutbol23 New Member

Feb 15, 2002
    Ohio
    would MLS really go for this sharing the stadium thing.

maybe the facility that is presented includes a high school feild near by the main faciluty so that the MLS club wont have to be bothered by a high school team(s)

5. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If any of the Oklahoma people are lurking here,here's a good web site to get ideas for stadium designs WWW.EUROSTADIUMS.COM

6. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    this one is nice:
    <a href="http://www.eurostadiums.com/stadiums.php?id=4&lang=eng">rapid vienna</a>

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Don't forget to push for seats at or near ground level right behind both goals so your supporter clubs can make the most noise.

Also, a roof is great for keeping the noise in.

Sachin

8. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    ask for a moat for the visiting fans' section

make that a moat of fire or raw sewage or both

9. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also ask for ziploc bags in the bathrooms, so you have bombs to throw at the other team

10. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    BULL... that is nothing compared to this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry... i just wanted to put those pictures...

11. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Won't happen that way. There is no question that MLS will share a stadium with other entities, as long as

MLS controls the dates
    MLS controls all the revenue
    MLS doesn't actually own it, but has exclusive management of it
    MLS gets a 20 year minimum lease

After that, everything is negotiable. For MLS to get enough votes to win a bond election, they will have to promise to share. The issue is the quality of the turf. People throwing around ideas about 3 or 4 football teams scare me. Right now the football season is starting, and there are 6 to 8 weeks left in the MLS season. Maybe they can keep the turf in good shape, but I'm doubtful.

If they are smart, they'll use the tray system they used at the Swamp, one field for all the football teams, the other for the soccer team.

I still think Nexturf is viable in that scenario, as long as the texture is better than Naperville's, which seems to be a problem.

12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that tray system, (1) incredibly expensive and (2) a dismal failure as far as soccer is concerned at Giants Stadium?

I could be wrong, but I remember reading that replacing sections of worn out grass due to football being played at Giant's Stadium and other events being scheduled there has meant that the playing surface for soccer ends up being rather rough: i.e., the new trays and old trays lead to an uneven surface.

Also, while this is no longer an experimental system, I know it cost the MetroStars a ton of cash to develop it and install it each year (before the Jets and Giants bought into it). I'd be concerned that a tray system would just be too expensive as compared to a grass field or, dare I say it, some sort of artificial surface.

13. Laramie4OKC

Laramie4OKC New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Viking64:

It's great to see someone posting from Fort Worth, Texas my 2nd hometown. I own a duplex there in Fort Worth in the Green Oaks area near Ridgemar Mall and I lease out the other side, it is my home away from home.

The situation in Edmond, Oklahoma in which three high schools would share a stadium with an MLS teams is a very sensitive one.

Edmond voters will be willing to build an MLS specific stadium, the survey conducted by the Edmond Sun shows that the people there are in favor of financing a stadium if it is going to benefit all five; however, the three high schools and university definitely will not be slighted. They currently have a situation in which they try to avoid having no more than two of these teams playing on the field on any given weekend.

Oklahoma is noted for its red clay and there hasn't been a problem with placing black topsoil and canadian sod above it.

14. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i don't think a better textured next turf is going to matter much... it'll still retain heat as well as a frying pan, it'll still make players go down left and right because they can't dig in for cuts (i don't mean injuries, just wiping out).... it's not much of a problem for football because of the north-south aspect and that it is played in colder periods of the year (and they aren't out there 45 minutes at a time... just a few seconds here and there)

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Any artifical grass solution would have to be FIFA-approved. And so far, there is only one -- FieldTurf or something like that.

It's used in Seattle.

That's the only way OKC can get international matches such as friendlies and World Cup qualifiers.

Sachin

16. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  17. djwalker

djwalker BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back from the meeting at University of Central Oklahoma. Preliminary artwork of a proposed Wantland Stadium project looked GREAT!

Mike Segroves was taking pics with a digital camera, and will be posting them soon, I suspect.

Mr. Hunt was in attendance, which to me is a very encouraging sign. Who knows what a billionaire's schedule must be like, yet he took a day to come to Edmond to attend this meeting and speak.

Mr. Funk of Express sports was there as well, and sounded very enthusiastic.

Good turnout as well. Probably around 100-150 people. The room was filled. Lots of representatives from the UCO student leadership. They're behind the project it seems, that can't hurt at all.

Very exciting stuff for soccer fanatics in this area.

One video camera, though I couldn't determine if it what media outlet it represented. Several print reporters and a couple of photographers. I'll update if I see TV or print reports in the next few days.

18. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the report, dj.

What's Mr. Hunt's connection to this project? Is he acting as an MLS representative, or would he be a prospective investor/operator for the team should Express Sports bail out?

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that he's there representing MLS. It makes sense to have him there because he's sort of local and because he's a major investor in the league. If he speaks, it'll have some serious authority.

20. SoonerSoccer

SoonerSoccer New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    Channel Four

that was Channel four, I think a Oklahoma reporter was there not for sure if he was there as sports fan or a reporter.

21. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Re: Channel Four

hopefully both

22. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    pictures! pictures!... i want pictures.....!!!!!

23. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    only made it there for the last 20 mins or so... slide show was nice... think it was a KC constructions company... they assured the folks that construction could be done DURING the football season since they did renovations/additions for Nebraska's stadium...

actually, according to Tulsa World, there is to be a meeting this Thursday the 29th in Tulsa with officials, potential I/Os including Hunt-- wonder if Lamar's on the "Puddle-jumper Express" as we speak...

Should be a fun week...

I thought for sure Segroves woulda posted those pix by now but maybe he's afraid "the process has become ENTIRELY TOO PUBLIC!"

NAH!

Anyway, I think the Tulsa meeting is more of a "behind closed doors" affair...

But I hear Cartman's bringing "pie & punch..."

Viva La Resistance!

24. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    sorry... meant to say Hunt is supposed to be at the meeting... Tulsa World quoted Hunt as saying he would not be an O/I...

25. djwalker

djwalker BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was also a guy there from Hunt Sports Group, though I'm not sure the significance of that.

Could just be he was with Mr. Hunt as an assistant, could be they're interested. Pure speculation, though.