OKC a part of possible spots for relocation for KC

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by Wallydrag, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
  3. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 45 posts and yet you already have negative rep. Well done.

4. Brilliant Orange

Brilliant Orange New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    TX

Spoken like a true Texan! All hat no cattle. :rolleyes:

5. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Having lived in both cities, the Texan is right. San Antonio would be a better market. More people, more culture and the city is prime for another major league sports team. Plus, San Antonio's mayor is doing everything he can to get a team. It's gonna happen.

6. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    I must concur with seadonkey on this one, while i would love for both cities to have a franchise, for the good of mls san antonio would be a better city. that being said soccerpro is still a douchebag and he had neg rep after about 10 posts

7. OKCmetalhead

OKCmetalhead New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Well regardless of which city is better for an MLS franchise, Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett recently spoke about a few sports related topics at the 2005 State of The City presentation. Here is a quote taken from the Journal Record: "Cornett also noted three sports-related developments he would like to see started this year: a motor sports entertainment complex, a major-league sports franchise, and somehow helping Oklahoma City University's basketball team get back into Division I college sports." While this could be directed at any of the major league sports or just a general comment, it's nice to think that maybe when time comes around for '06 expansion he will be pushing hard for OKC to get a franchise and maybe helping to get some funding.

8. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    A little perspective, folks... IF Oklahoma City AND San Antonio have owners with deep pockets and a REAL COMMITTMENT to the future of soccer and MLS, BOTH cities will get a team. In the expansion sweepstakes, it's not the best bids that win, just ANY bids that will make for a feasable team.

Gee, the last time OCU had a div I basketball team, I was going to school there... the glory days when they played at the Myriad-- ah, the sound of crickets and squeeking sneekers and another 5-25 season... can't wait.

Wow, "Mayor" Mick Cornett just sounds odd... how long's he been in the mayor's office???

9. OKCmetalhead

OKCmetalhead New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Yes, he is quite strange. I had the opportunity to sit down with him and a few of my fellow students and discuss with him some things he could do to improve the city. and well, he is a raging idiot. He doesn't know the population of his own city, and further more he told me that there is not a parking problem downtown. enough said.

10. RHMCW

RHMCW Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    After visiting OKC last fall I had to take back all the rotten things I had said about it. If they can build a soccer stadium as nice as their baseball stadium they will be in good shape. Architecturally, at least. I suppose it is kind of important to put butts in the seats as well. :D

I was really impressed with what I could see of the ballpark. I did not get to see a game during my visit. Unfortunately, my buddy that lived there moved away. So, it is unlikely I will get the opportunity to see a game there.

11. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, the only major-league sport the OKC would be in the running for is an MLS team. The only other sport we had a chance in was NHL and no one wants to touch them with a 10-foot pole now. Basketball isn't moving any teams any time soon and it's just too expensive to start an expansion team, this even if the NBA wanted to expand which I'm sure they don't. What's left? Baseball. No way, Jose. And pro football would be the last sport to make it's home here. That's the most expensive of all.

Mick Cornett by trade is a sports guy. Thinking about it just now though I have this fear in the back of my mind that he might consider AFL a major-league sport. He used to do radio for the Wranglers and covered the team. But surely not, right? :rolleyes: