Okay I finally give up WPS, so I live in Los Angeles, what teams can I support?

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by sisterluke, Apr 28, 2012.

1. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay so the time has come where I'm craving some women's soccer and WPS apparently going to fold, I've decided to support the lower division women's leagues now.

I live in Los Angeles/Orange County area, so I noticed a few teams reside in the area. Can anyone fill me in on the history of those southern california teams and which ones I can easily support?

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reviewing the websites of the two leagues reveals:

W-League:
    - Pali Blues. Play at Palisades Charter High School, Pacific Palisades. They underachieved last year but won the W-League championship their first two years of existence (2008 and 2009) and contended in 2010. They have one of the most storied coaches in women's amateur club soccer in Charlie Naimo and even have their own supporter's group, the Tony Danza Army. Players signed for 2012 include Whitney Engen, Christie Shaner, and Cami Levin.

- Santa Clarita Blue Heat. List two high schools in Santa Clarita and one in Canyon Country as their home venues. Won the Western Conference in only their second year.

- LA Strikers. Play at Occidental College. Finished in the middle of the Western Conference standings last year in their first year of existence.

WPSL:
    - Orange County Waves. Won the WPSL last year (under former LA Sol coach Abner Rodgers) but apparently disbanded as their website has been abandoned, and they're not listed on the WPSL website. Mentioned in case I'm wrong.

- LA Vikings. Play at HDC. Mediocre last year.

- Ajax America. Play at Nansen Field, Rolling Hills Estates. WPSL champions in 2008, mediocre lately.

- Beach Futbol Club. Play at Long Beach State. New team this year.

- San Diego SeaLions. Don't know if you want to go that far, but they were the #2 team in the division last year.

(As you might be able to tell, if I were in the area, I'd probably be a Pali Blues supporter.)

3. ZiggyG2000

ZiggyG2000 New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Been a while since I've been on Big Soccer, but saw this thread and couldn't resist. I'm Zack Goldman, co-founder of the Tony Danza Army and the new Director of Operations for Pali Blues Soccer Club.

We'd love to have you guys at a game. Send me an email to zack (at) bluessoccerclub (dot) com and we'll see if we can get you guys some tickets.

-Z

ceezmad repped this.