Ohio Stadium one of 70 Venues Being Looked at for 2018/2022 World Cup Bid

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Tyneside4life, Apr 9, 2009.

1. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the list of cities that are still in contention to be part of the bid that is due to FIFA in May 2010:

Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York City, Oakland, Orlando, Philadelphia, Glendale-Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa, and Washington, D.C.

2. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.gousabid.com/blog/entry/...t-of-27-cities-still-in-contention-for-inclu/

Link to a bit of the announcement

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Yup, Columbus and Cincinnati both dropped from the list.

4. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Detroit was one of the venues most complained about. The Silverdome didn't have air conditioning. During the USA vs Switzerland match it was so hot in there I bought a second shirt because I was completely soaked in sweat before kickoff. However, they did prove you can pull off games in a dome without a retractable roof and I'm sure MSUs turfgrass school would love to do the grass again.

Edit: Ford Field DOES have AC though.

5. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Having recently been to Detroit, I'd be embarrassed if games were held there, regardless of the stadium/field issues.

Urban blight is in no way attractive.

6. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bah. Downtown Detroit is perfectly fine. The Ford Field area would be a great venue for World Cup Soccer. And Michigan Stadium is in Ann Arbor and is the largest venue on the list of possible venues.

Besides, look at Detroit during the super bowl for a representation of how things would be if a World Cup match came to Downtown Detroit. The city can clean itself up for a weekend no problem. haha

Metro Detroit FTW.

I am now taking reservations for my floor and couch. ;)

7. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they do have Baltimore on there as well.

8. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Having not been to Baltimore, I can't comment.

I'll stand on my Detroit comment.

9. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come up here and hang out with me. I'll show you all the places to not get shot at. ;)

10. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be so suburban, square.

11. negativetouch

negativetouch Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Couldn't we just buy a couple of houses for the weekend instead?

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure we could just find a place to squat at.

13. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big house is one of the worst places to see a live sport, IMO. Sure it can seat 110k+, but it accommodations are a travesty. Miserable ingress/egress.

14. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

The one game I attended @ Michigan, we parked in the middle of a golf course (which seemed to be a good spot), and got inside a good 2 hours early, just to see the place. My buddy and I quickly realized we were sitting next to some rather large folks, so our 10 inches of seat quickly turned into about 8. I got up to go to the bathroom at 2:30 (3:30 kickoff), and was able to get back to my seat @ approximately the 6 minute mark of the 1st quarter, because there would seem to be about 3 ways into and out of the stadium to the 'concourse'.

It's a cool old college football stadium...which is what it should be used for exclusively.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did you go? IIRC, it underwent a huge renovation a few years ago.

16. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Four or five years ago. I know they've done a lot, but those seats didn't get any bigger, and there aren't any more entrances than before. The problem/issue is that it's a single bowl, and each section has one way in and out.

That said, it was a fun place to watch a game. The wave between the third and fourth quarter (iirc) is something to see.

17. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the f*ck is RFK on the list?:confused:

18. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    USSF loves that shithole. Same question applies to Oakland - a stadium the A's and Raiders have wanted to leave for years.

By my count, there are 27 stadiums, but only 22 cities left. Cleveland with a 50/50 shot?

(I'd guess only one from Cleveland/Indy/Detroit/Chicago, and I don't like Cleveland's chances)

19. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This list is just ridiculous. I cant believe they gave seatle two venues one better get cut. Just because they sell out a season doesnt mean its some wonderful place for the world cup. I also dont know why boston is on here they have horrible attendance and they had the worst attendace in the world fooball challenge i thiought that would have knocked them out but i guess kraft had something to do with it. The problem with this is probably money and dey just choosing based on money which is bad. I been to baltimore nice stadium, beautiful harbour the rest of the city is a shithole run downfactory after run downfactory.

20. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendence will not and will never be an issue with the World Cup, so I dont think thats really relevant. I mean, they could host it in a poverty stricken, disease infested, crime ridden desert with crappy tourist infrastructures and people will probably show up. Oh, wait...

21. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Phoenix?

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bold part is pretty much the same thing at Ohio Stadium. After the renovations there, they took out the way to go from A deck to the B deck concourse. IIRC, if you're at the top of A deck, you have to go all the way down to the bottom of the section.

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baltimore stands a much better chance. After all, isn't there a reason why the summer exhibition matches are played there and not RFK? ;)

24. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Right, but there are 3 decks at Ohio Stadium. Take an OSU game, add slightly more people, and have them all trying to get to/get from their seats with 1/3 the number of gates.

25. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    well done!