Oh, Heather Mitts....

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Marchetti, Oct 21, 2004.

1. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Shes delicious BUT...Shes no Laurie Fair

2. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    the sexy lady with chinese flavor ? ;)

3. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mitts is in a tough spot. Because she's attractive, people assume she can't play. She has to be the best defender or people will scream that she doesn't belong. She's a solid, developing player that happens to look good. Where is it written that female soccer players can't also be attractive women?

4. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no rule that they can't be attractive women. Mia is very attractive, but when she was on the field her attractiveness was the furthest thing from anyone's mind. There are many very attractive women on this soccer team. But they are also better soccer players than other women who are trying to make the team. In my opinion, Mitts is not a better player than other people who were in camp for the Olys. Her effort and desire is not in question here. It's her skill and, for me, her instinct. She doesn't seem to have the ability to know when to go forward and assist in the offense and when to stay back. An outside back has to be able to feel that, it can't be coached, and it can't be learned...it just has to be inate.

5. hackattack

hackattack New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    U.S.
    I can't believe how many people know how to type with no hands!

6. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    There's a thread in Rivalries concerning cliches and this post is going to be my nominee. Anything can be learned, some people just learn more quickly or better. In your world of soccer, we wouldn't need coaches or trainers - just fortunetellers.

7. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, in my world of soccer, politics and personal grudges would have no place in the inclusion and exclusion of players. I believe that coaches can only do so much to teach and train. There has to be something intangible in that player to make them reach the next level. Mia had that intangible, so does Boxx and many others on this team. There was no reason on earth for Michelle Akers to be able to control a game the way she did...it is just something inside that person that they just KNOW what to do, almost like instinct. I have never seen that intangible quality in Mitts.

I have never doubted her desire. I have no doubt that she's a very nice person. But, I've seen her beat so many times because she didn't sense when it was time to get back. That sort of intangible quality is something that a coach can not teach.

8. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Take the time to view Jape Shattuck's outstanding coaching tape, " Individual Defending ". Pay attention to the discussion of visual cues. Anyone can be trained to improve their game. Perhaps the "intangible" that you are speaking about is talent.

Heather may not have the talent to play at the international level, but she's played on enough championshipship teams to get a look.

I don't think that Heather should be on the team b/c of her looks, but her looks should not be an excuse to kick her off either.

9. yophilly

yophilly New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Here we go again.Yep that it Heather the only one i have seen beat not Repone or Cat or Kate and can i say maybe Brandi too.HEATHER MITTS DESERVES TO BE ON THIS TEAM.

10. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Especially Brandi, just a few years ago. Thanks for putting the Mitts haters in perspective.

11. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    This thread needs to be moved to, Women's Fans and More. Heather Mitts doesn't deserve all this attention. It seems more like her little fan club members are posting all of the content.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ditto!
    Isn't it amazing that only Heather Mitts gets beat according to some people. It took some players years to develop on the National Team but yet "Mitts Haters" are unwilling to give her the same. I have gone to many NATs games and sometimes I specifically focus on Mitts during warmups and during the game just to see her skill level, etc. Trust me, this girl has a better touch on the ball than Kate or Rampone. But she is relatively new to the team. It's going to take a little time for her to get rid of the "happy feet" she sometimes gets when she has the ball. April is right in giving her a spot on the team because she will be worth the investment. IMO she is by far the best athlete on the team. She's been a champion at every level and does deserve to be on the WNT.

13. yophilly

yophilly New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    6th fan you must be a Bivens or Grubb fan onnce again HEATHER MITTS DESERVERS TO BE ON THIS TEAM

14. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    You make my point exactly. This thread needs to be moved to the fan posting area, not with the serious soccer threads. And really Yosilly, how can you use the the words "serious soccer" and "Heather Mitts" in the same sentence anyway?

15. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    A better suggestion would be to close this thread - it's been chewed to death.

16. yophilly

yophilly New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    6th man i must of hit a nerve and the name is yophilly if you want to take a pot shot at my name take were we can talk one on one and leave every one else out of it.Get over the fact that Mitts is on this team it look like the people who know real soccer as you say thinks my way.

17. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    Mitts should prove it this year, and i think she will.

18. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Amen!