Oguchi Onyewu: Named in Jupiler Leage 2005 Best XI

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by OmiKell, Jan 19, 2006.

1. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    Great news, he's one of the top Belgian League defenders.

The team:

GK: Runje

DF: Kompany, Vanden Borre, Onyewu, Carlos

MD: Janssens, Boussoufa, Geraerts

FW: Conceiçao, Wilhelmsson, Tchité

2. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Good for Gooch

3. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Goochmeister!!!!!

4. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goocherific!

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    who picked? Media or players or coaches or fans?

6. lobtuf

lobtuf New Member

Oct 13, 2005
  7. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, this is the second year in a row for Gooch. As Tom Petty says, "It's time to move on, time to get going." Gooch is ready for prime-time.

8. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    2 years in a row mentioned along with Kompany. How dare we? :)

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kompany didn't get the props in the last six months of 05 that he did in the first six month, according to the player of the year points deal. He looked like a sure winner after the first half. Of course, this post means I'm trusting my French, and that's never a good thing.

10. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    Other than Conceciao (sp), are there any other WC-bound players on that list ? With the Red Devils not making it to their northeastern neighbor, I gather not.
    Other than Friedel and TH, have any other Americans ever been named to a European seasonal Best XI ?

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Gooch is just a bad-ass.

And to say it's time to move on is pretty obvious. I think he's just biding his time so he can be guaranteed of PT before the WC and afterwards he'll field offers from the Big Leagues.

His agent has to be pretty jacked right about now. This kid is going places. It's funny, when Gooch first went to Europe there were a lot of posters here lamenting it, saying he should have signed with MLS to get PT, etc... But he has handled his career about as wisely as most Americans who go to Europe ever have and he is now in position to play for a very good team and get a lot of experience, glory and cash in the process.

12. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    The key phrase here is "handled his career".
    When he first attracted interest from French teams, he held off until he was sure (and until he could convince his mom that he'd graduate from Clemson).
    When he got stuck on the pine in Metz - he hit the weight room and got into great shape rather than whining.
    When he was fit and still couldn't get game time, he managed a loan to La Louviere one year and Standard Liege the next - finally signing a contract with Standard.

People may forget but Gooch starts off a little slowly. He did with Metz, he did with La Louviere, he did with Standard Liege, and he did with the national team. But once he feels comfortable (a game or two) he really opens up his game.

What's more is that if he stays in Belgium a little while longer - he could qualify for a Belgian passport which would be HUGE for his career.
    (is it 3 or 4 years in Belgium).

Gooch has handled his professional career very well to date - he's a smart guy and a hard worker in addition to an incredible physical specimen and talented soccer player. I suspect he'll do just fine in the future. How could he not when "God fights for him" :D

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Sergio Conceição is very unlikely to make the Portuguese squad but his main rival - and the best buddy - for the Jupiler Player of the Year Christer Wilhemsson is a shoo-in for the Swedish squad.

3 years but it won't matter in England or much in Germany.

14. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

actually im pretty sure conceciao is not WC bound, though his country sure is. i cant remember the last time i saw his name on a portugal team sheet or lineup. so it looks like gooch is THE man. works for me

forza inter

15. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    What do you mean it won't matter much in England or Germany?
    If he gets a Belgian passport, that removes the need for a work permit, or am I missing something?
    Granted I think he'll eventually be a shoo-in for the 75% rule needed in England, but wouldn't the passport still be a good thing to have?
    (or am I missing something)

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, as a regular US international, the UK work-permit is no longer a problem for him. Additionally, fees that it would take to acquire him would pretty much guarantee his WP in England.

And Germany is doing away with their foreign player limits (it would have helped him to have a German passport a little) anyway.

17. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
  18. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    My recollection is that Gooch does not yet meet the 75% requirement and would have to go thru the appeals process, so it's not yet "no longer a problem", but it is getting better!

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  20. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, those two guys are English, which pretty much doubles their price tags.

21. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    Congrats to Gooooooch!!!! I can't wait 'till he moves to a bigger club. The more high-profile Americans in Europe, the better for U.S soccer.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    But halves their value.

24. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I remember when Gooch was playing at Clemson and I said they were mispositioning him, using his athleticism to just burn up the sideline rather than where he was best suited, center back. Yes oh yes I got a lot of flack for that. Okay I baited the argument a bit by saying that his control in traffic wasn't so good and sometimes he stumbled as if the puberty fairy just visited but still, I think he's best suited for marking speedy forwards and enforcing a no-fly zone around tall ones.

I think Gooch deserves a lot of credit for his work at centerback. Switching to such a position in the pro's is remarkable. I don't think it has come naturally, I never thought he had the mentality of a center back but if he had any bad habits, he's certainly overcome them.

25. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't think of another American who's made a seasonal Best XI... however, Kasey Keller was once named to France Football's monthly European Best XI.