OFI Crete?

Discussion in 'Greece & Cyprus' started by Mattbro, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Can anyone give me some good info on OFI Crete? The official site appears to be only in Greek, which I can't make head nor tail of. What kind of a history do they have? What does OFI stand for? And does anyone know when the schedule for next season will be released? I'm going to be on Crete from August 27 until about September 3, so I guess there's a 50 percent chance they'll be playing at home on the first weekend of September (provided the season has started).

I think I remember hearing they had a new stadium built for some reason, and there's a picture of it at World Stadiums. Would be sweet to catch a game there.

2. efexor

efexor Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Greece
    crete {KRHTH} i beleive you will be on vacations?
    what a place youll love it.i beleive you will be lucky and see a match there.no problems with the tickets.

well
    OFI Crete, or more commonly OFI (Greek: ΟΦΗ - Όμιλος Φιλάθλων Ηρακλείου - Omilos Filathlon Irakleiou), the Fans' Club of Heraklion, is a Greek association football club based in the city of Heraklion, on the Greek island of Crete.

The team currently competes in the Super League Greece.

OFI is one of just 5 teams (and the only team outside Greece’s two major cities, Athens and Thessaloniki) that has played continuously in the Greek First Division since 1976, (in 1979 Greek football was professionalised). The most successful period of the modern era was between 1985-2000, when under the guidance of the Dutch manager Eugene 'Egen' Gerard, OFI won its first trophy (Cup winners in 1987), came close to winning the championship a couple of times, (runners-up in 1986) and qualified for UEFA competitions several times. OFI always symbolised the love of most Cretans for their island as a whole, not just a local city, and that is the reason for its official name OFI Crete, not just plain OFI. The club is also known for several homegrown players that have gone on to play abroad, such as Nikos Machlas, Nikos Nioblias, Giannis Anastasiou, Georgios Samaras and Mahamadou Diarra.

cheers

3. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Thanks for the info my friend. So in other words, they've been relatively successful for a less-than-huge club.

Yes, I'll be there on vacation. I was on Crete last summer with friends and I loved it! Absolutely terrific. The lifestyle is perfect - I could definitely see myself living on Crete. We were there during the summer break, so there were no games. That's why I was hoping to catch a game this time. We're kind of hoping against hope that Panathinaikos will be there that weekend so we can watch Andi Ivanschitz play.

4. efexor

efexor Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Greece
    yep OFI is going ok.
    hope mate you do catch a game with panathinaikos,and see Ivanschitz play..
    also check out a young talent 16 year old ---NINIS<---..PANATHINAIKO.
    anyway great and congratulations on you for thinking that way on different countrys soccer and especially when your on vacations .;)
    Oh and we would be glad to hear that your shifting over in KPHTH.

cheers

5. Choupana

Choupana New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Ednilson, a portugues midfielder, plays in OFI?
    http://janeladecontraste.blogspot.com/

6. matador4

matador4 New Member

May 31, 2007
    Hersonissos Crete
    Take a look of OFIs recent history through my eyes at:
    http://www.myron4hersonissos.blogspot.com

I havent finished my blogging about OFI so stay tuned to see the best part.
    The OFI fans...Normaly i would publish about that by the end of the week.

7. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Thanks man, I will check this out. Do you know whether the schedule for the new season has been released yet?

By the way, I will be in Chersonissos in August!

8. matador4

matador4 New Member

May 31, 2007
    Hersonissos Crete
    No,it is not scheduled yet.It is going to be scheduled on mid of july.In my blog,which is like a Hersonissos report,but not only ,you ll be able to see everything that is going on here.I hope you can make a clue through my greek-english,and be in touch,more are coming...about Hersonissos and about OFI

9. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    So to give you an idea of how clueless I am: we arrived on Crete last Monday thinking we'd missed the first game. Turns out the entire first week's matches were postponed due to the fire and the first OFI home game was played last Sunday - which we didn't figure out until the game was already over.

I'm also so clueless I didn't realize there was another team from Heraklion in the first division. Anyway, I got two OFI shirts, the black one and the white one, and they look pretty sweet.

I wasn't too impressed with Chersonissos though (as I wasn't specifically there to party). I preferred the area we were in last year, Istro on the eastern part of the island.