Offsides calls

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Hugh DeMann, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Hugh DeMann

Hugh DeMann New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    As a relative newcomer to soccer, I am having trouble with the offsides rule. How is a linesman supposed to watch not only offensive player "A" who may or may not be offsides, but also another offensive player "B" who may be 50+ yards away, who may or may not pass the ball to offsides player "A"? If, as I suspect, this is often an impossible task, there are bound to be many incorrect calls made. Am I missing something here? How does the soccer world reconcile this?

2. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In theory at least, the officials are quite experienced and skilled at what they do, but I think you are basically right, and the answer is "very carefully."

3. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hugh, you've got it all right - except its called offside.

4. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    They look down the line at the positions of the offensive and defensive players, and listen for the boot striking ball.

Same as a first base umpire, really.

5. mannellaice

mannellaice New Member

May 8, 2001
    KC, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask Earnie Stewart about this rule...

6. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Typically the Field Referee has two linesman to assist him. It is their job to watch for offside in their half of the field and it really isn't that hard - they have a very good vantage point of they stay roughly even with the last defender.

Despite the very dubious lack of call on Earnie Stewart, linesman get it right an amazingly high amount. Sometimes what looked like during "live" play as being one way, turned out to be different as I was watching the slo-mo replays on TV... and it's not unusual where I am surprised by how good the linesman are.

Besides, the offside call is to prevent "cherry picking" and it does that very well. In some cases, too well... the offside trap is a little boring in my opinion. It would be fun to see what would happen if they treated the offsides like they do in Hockey where once the ball moves in "on-sides" into the final 3rd of the field... "off-sides" goes away. This would prevent offensive players from camping around the goal but would elminate the boring "off-side trap"... hey, food for thought.

7. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    I heard about it, I saw the MLSnet.com vids on it, but they were inconclusive. Anyone have a vid w/ a better angle?

8. NeilB

NeilB Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Didn't the NASL have a rule like this?

9. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    No, he has it right. He's referring to multiple (all) offside calls, so an 's' added would be correct.

10. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Actually, the 's' that makes the noun plural is on the word 'calls.' This is like writing 'I have 5 blues shirts.' The word describing the noun, in this case, 'offside' does not need to be made plural to match the noun. ;)

11. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop with the trivial semantics arguments, please, you attorneys general in the making. ;)

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is difficult to do correctly 100% of the time, and virtually impossible if the referee's assistant is poorly positioned. But, they get it right most of the time.

13. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Well, I am conviniced you can put an 's' at the end of offside in some cases. How about, "There were many many offsides." --dropping the use of 'calls' altogether.
    ;)