Official W.C. withdrawal poll. Mexico or Portugal?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by BallStateMiddie, Aug 1, 2002.

1. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    O.k., I want to know, now that we have time to look back on it all, which win are you guys more proud of, or which one makes you more happy? On the one hand, of course Portugal was one of the favorites (at least going into the Cup), and boasts a couple truly world class players. On the other hand, Mexico is the proverbial cross-town rival and the win came later in the tournament. What do you think?

2. soccer_addict21

soccer_addict21 New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    America
    personally i feel the win over portugal was bigger bc no one was expecting it. I mean NO ONE. They were the 5th ranked team in the world and had the '01 fifa player of the year. we always beat mexico.

3. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    That might be true, but you have to admit, a win against any team to put ourselves into the Quarterfinals (for the first time in however many years) gains a lot of sentimental value at least, if not even historical.

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I go for the Portugal win. The win started everything else.

5. timmy409

timmy409 Red Card

Apr 3, 2002
    Georgia
    mexico because we get to troll :)

6. Melloblkmon

Melloblkmon Member

Sep 11, 2000
    At Home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Portugal game was classic and it just happened so fast and there was so much anxiety involed. It was wonderful!!!

I knew we were gonna spank Mexico after 25 minutes. They were our Biaaaaatch before the first half was over!!! :D

7. Gandalf21

Gandalf21 Member

May 22, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I go with the win over Portugal. We play Mexico alot and are very familiar with them. So I knew it was entirely within the realm of possibility that we could beat them. No one, expected us to beat Portugal. NO ONE

8. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I was happier about the win over Mexico, but more proud about Portugal.

Alex

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico, because of the total showing. Tactically with Il Bruce, Renya out of position, LD threatening all day, JB with his defensive immitation of Maradona, and the red card.

Plus that glory about trolling. Hope toot86 understands...

10. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I was far more nervous about the Mex game and I feel that US soccer had much more riding on that result. The Portugal game was a lot more fun but we needed to beat Mexico.

11. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Mexico, because I daily get to shove it in the face of Mexicans on these boards and elsewhere.

12. Hey Waft Man

Hey Waft Man Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Colchester, CT
    Mexico, because of the way the US came back after getting hammered by Poland in the previous match. Past US sides would have folded up and gotten smacked in the next match as well. This time, the US passed the gut-check with flying (red, white, and blue) colors, and then came back and deserved the win vs. Germany as well but for the Wrath of Kahn.

13. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    definitely Portugal, they were a heavy favorite to win the WC and our track record w/ Mexico said we would win against them.

14. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the fact that the Portugal win was TOTALLY unexpected, that Portugal is one of the top 5 teams in the world (or should I say was??), & that that win over Portugal gave us the confidence & belief that we could play with anybody, my vote goes to Mexico.

Pour & simple, beating those ******* on ANY day is reason enough to party. But beating them ON the world's biggest stage & with a Q-final spot on the line?! NOTHING tops that.

15. thacharger

thacharger New Member

May 19, 2002
    Southaven, MS
    Germany should be added if its our proudest and most emotional. Every pass of the ball I sweated and clung to my seat. When we missed our chances I let out loud moans and put my head in my hands.

16. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    My vote has to go to Mexico. It couldn't have happen to a team that deserves it more. I'm sick of Mexico playing dirty (Mexican player kicks Lalas in groin, another one injures Meola for like a whole season, and another flips McBride over in the US Cup in which we lost 2-1. I forgot which year it was, but Hejduk scored one for us.) Then having to hear Aguirre, diss out just about every team he plays. Nothing can be more satisfying than defeating Mexico and Aguirre in the World Cup.

17. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both games were so important and fun to watch. The win vs Portuagal opened the soccer door up for the United States, and the win over Mexico sent the United States into the quarterfinals.

18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The mexico game was business as usual.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great poll. For a "binary" poll, a close result.

I voted for Mexico, because that game, combined with the Gold Cup, makes us undisputed heavyweight champions of the confederation.

Portugal was one game in three.

Here's an interesting thought, for those of us who voted for Mexico...if we had beaten Poland, would you change your vote? I think I would, as the Poland result sort of negated the pride in the Portugal win, if you know what I mean.

20. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Of course I was proud so proud when we beat Portugal, but at that point you still had to wonder if it was fluky. Against MExico we played a very professional game under the highest of pressure situations. It was with that game we came of age. If we lose that game, some might have suggested that our showing was a fluke, given the Poland debacle.

21. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    portugal, i expected to beat Mexico

22. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I loved the Mexico game, but the Portugal game was better. The feeling when I saw McBride diving at the third goal in 37 minutes was utterly otherworldly. Indescribable. Words don't do it justice.

23. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    Im Portugeuse, but i say the win you should be proud of the win agfainst us. I knew the US were going to give Portugal a hard time but the players didnt! portugal played Bad the USA played there best. Its as simple as that. The USa outplayed Portugal and deserved to win!
    But if Portugal played good................ The score would have been different!

PS what the hell happned to the USA in the Poland game, i thought you guys were going to kick there *ss.
    Then i saw the game and realized USA didnt play there best cause they played better agianst Portugal!

24. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    By the way, this poll is one of the best I've seen.

25. rufus55

rufus55 Member

Sep 1, 2001
    My favorite game was the Germany game. I liked it because I actually felt disappointed the US didn't get to the semifinals. Beating Portugal was amazing and beating Mexico was deeply satisfying. But outplaying Germany to the point the Germans admitted we should have won the game means we finally earned respect on the world stage. This happened about 10 years before I thought was possible.