Official: Union's Eleven - Part II

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by ChefJim27, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The starting 11 you want to see for the Union(realistic)

Donatelli, Parke, and Valentin are all local guys as are Jim Curtin and Chris Albright. That might work.

Bernardo is playing cryptic PR games with twitter, but depending on how much is hype and how much is actual football skill, he might be a good fit here. Recent tweet said "I love cheesesteaks". Follow him @vb10

2. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nowak was in Europe for 15 days and has been globe trotting in general to other destinations. Just because no players have been announced doesn't mean contact hasn't been made. I would expect that if a marquee player isn't present at the unveiling of the jersey, the January transfer window will make Union fans smile.

3. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the point of this thread was to make our own starting 11 so here is mine.
    ----------------------------Condoual-------------------------------
    --------Ike Opara---------Eddie Robinson-----------Namoff/Parke----
    -----------------Appiah-----------------Olsen(I love the beard)------
    Ashe/Gaven------------------------------------------Seedorf/Mapp
    ---------------------------Bernardo(if he is even good)-------------
    ------------------Smolarek-----------Espindola/Kandji/Gaven-----

Wow this is fun. I would like to see who other people have in their 11 so make some people

4. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

im not critisizing philly here Z010......there havent been many rumors either

where did you here that from? great news

5. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sol campbell,eddie robinson,ike opara?

sol will be looked at by seattle,NY, and other places as well though

6. sara_laughs

sara_laughs New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While I like Olsen and I know he's "local", I've read he's happy at DC, having spent his entire career there (where did I read that? Or did I totally make that up?) and his injuries make me nervous.

7. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

but he is the beard :)

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Future Uncertain for United Players, Coach

9. sara_laughs

sara_laughs New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

His wife is gay?

10. sara_laughs

sara_laughs New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks Dills, I knew I read that somewhere.

11. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seriously though people make some line ups

12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Parke still has to work off the six games left in his drug suspension and was cut by Vancouver at the start of the season. I wonder what kind of shape he is in right now... Also, his MLS rights are still owned by the Sounders, so Philly would have to take him in the expansion draft or trade the Sounders for him.

13. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i actually made a different lineup after taking more consideration
    there dont seem to be many options in the world right now at midfield for them so that was tough
    look up the players on wikipedia or something if you dont know them,:)

GK-Marcus Hahnemann
    CB-Ike Opara
    CB-Eddie Robinson
    CB-Bryan Namoff
    CM-Jonathan Dos Santos
    RAM-Cesar Eduardo Gonzalez
    LAM-Eddie Gaven
    RM-Justin Mapp
    LM-Bobby Convey
    ST-Ebi Smolarek
    ST-Chukwudi Chijindu

P.S....
    yes these players would be available by 2010 ESPECIALLY since MLS is taking the world cup break

14. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

I think it would take a lot to pry away Namoff from DC. He won't be exposed in the expansion draft, so it would have to be a trade. Considering he's DC's best defender and leader on the defensive line, I just don't see it happening.

However, a player like Olsen or MacTavish would be more likely to be picked up in the expansion draft, and both did well under Nowak's system. I could easily see one or both heading elsewhere in the offseason.

15. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

No offense, but never take the words of a player (or agent) seriously. I believe Goff and his information over a player that a team may have passed on.

But this thread is about realistic line-ups so I'll throw mine in here. This is based of a 3-5-2 with 2 defensive mids since I think this is Nowak's preferred formation. It also assumes certain players will be left unprotected in the expansion draft. Some of the MLS international players I list may be passed over in favor of cheaper American talent since Nowak has obviously scouted international players I would never have heard of.

GK: Gaudette. I think Cronin is another possibility, but I'm not sure if his communication would be good enough for a 3 man back (though I don't know if Gaudette's is either). Wouldn't be surprised if Hannehmann or Friedel would be picked up if they were to come back stateside next year. And I am serious with Friedel because there was a few rumors floating around at the end of the last transfer window.

D: Ike Opara. If he goes GA and is as good as hyped I can see him going with the first pick. Gonzalez this year showed a GA player can transistion straight into a MLS backline.

D: Osman Chavez. Was looked at by the Galaxy last year but the loan never materialized. Staring CB for a Honduras team that allowed the fewest goals in the Hex. He is rumored to have been training with Tottenham so this all may be a moot point.

D: Jim Curtin. Decent centerback with local roots. Not the best defender in the league but certainly capable of starting at least part of the season.

M: Pablo Ricchetti. Already cut loose (well still on the team but told to stay away from practicies) by Dallas for being extremely upset by the way the team handled the Drew Moor trade. Is a good MLS defensive type midfielder that can distribute well and lead from the midfield. Also proved this year that he can spot start on the backline.

M: Amadou Sanyang. Young (just turned 18 in August) defensive midfielder. Very raw but seems to have a lot of upside. Played extremely well in the TFC games I saw but he is prone to some bad decisions (due to his age). Alongside some veteran presence and with Nowak's discipline I think he could play an important role. He has supposedly already attracted interest from some French clubs so the talent is there.

M: Justin Mapp. Expensive by MLS standards but still extremely talented. He would do well on the offensive side but may not cut it on the defensive side for Nowak. He still has a chance to be picked up if he is available despite that defensive short-coming.

M: Chris Klein. Again, not the best player in the league but he can be an effective wide player still. He also has the kind of hustle that Nowak likes and he can play both sides of the ball since he has been used by LA as a right back in the past.

M: Clarence Seedorf. If the team goes for a DP, I can see it being at the attacking midfield spot. Seedorf would be able to be the focal point in the midfield for this team. Nowak's 3-5-2 would need someone to call the shots from midfield and Seedorf would certainly fit the bill.

F: Emilio Renteria. So far has not tallied a goal in a league game but is a forward I think can thrive in MLS and would be the kind of forward Nowak would like. He is tenacious and constantly puts the defense under pressure. Probably wouldn't be a pure goal scorer but he would create chances and cause havoc for the opposing defense.

F: David Suazo. This (along with Seedorf) is a long shot. However, he is returning from a knee injury and has only played one game with Inter this year. If he wants to be ready for the World Cup he is going to need some playing time. If he finds his form he would be one of the best strikers in the league. He would probably command a DP salary though and that would be a problem.

So..... F (instead of Suazo): Pat Noonan. Not cheap and a little overrated. However, if paired with a good forward he can still be dangerous. There are probably better and cheaper international options but I'm not a full time scout so I'm including American talent.

16. JamesonSoB

JamesonSoB Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

is pele still available?

yeah, i'm not really going to even conjecture because thats basically like wasting your time arguing with your siblings about what you are going to get for christmas. either way, you will love what you get and be excited. and i plan on being those things when the signings come!

17. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is more like dreaming of what you are getting for christmas which I guess you have never done.

18. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh no when did he say that? The twitter saga continues.

19. JamesonSoB

JamesonSoB Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i'll make a line up come the day we have an actual roster to make a line up from.

20. The Square FC

The Square FC New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just out of curiousity, what do you think this line up would cost salary wise per year?

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, that piece in the Post made me think that Moreno was getting tired of DC and might look to see if Nowak is interested in working together again.

[​IMG]
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/s...r-United-players_-coach-8446290-66716027.html

As for the potential increase in the MLS salary cap, I am not a big believer that it will double after years of minimal annual increase. MLS has always been a "slow and steady win the race" type of business.

Even if it goes to $4 million (again doubtful) I seriously doubt Philly Union is going to be one of the bigger spenders amoung MLS clubs.

22. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where is the dislike button?

23. sara_laughs

sara_laughs New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What's wrong with Jaime? I wouldn't want him to be our DP but I wouldn't cry to see him rockin' Navy & Gold.

24. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's 500 years old, his knee only works when he sees a witch doctor, and he and Emilio haven't exactly been making it rain in DC. DC can hold on to their legends for 3 extra years, but I don't want our offense slowed down because of it.

Also, at some point, you are going to have to give up having Union be DC North. Support one or the other.

25. sara_laughs

sara_laughs New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL! I know, I know but do you know how long I've cheered for United? It's hard to give up your first love, and even when you do, that love is aways sorta there, hovering in the background. :eek: