Official: Union's Eleven - Part II

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by ChefJim27, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sccaflagger74

sccaflagger74 Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Media, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The English press seems to make a lot up but from from the Daily Mail comes this about Sol Campbell:

2. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he doesn't have a reality check after our first game.

3. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the plus side, if he does we'd probably get enough allocation money out of MLS to sign pretty much anyone we wanted. As opposed to Notts County, who just got screwed.

4. Philadelphia City

Philadelphia City New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. dcsoccernukka

dcsoccernukka New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    agreed, good article. It's too bad the A-10 schools don't get the exposure of a Wake or BC. Noone's on pace to be a top D1 assist leader again with 5 in '09, he was like 2nd nationally last year from what I've read. I'm really interested to see where he'll fall in the draft.

8. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still hoping for the polish connection now it is more possible b/c Hamburg doesn't see him in their future.

9. ventur514

ventur514 Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like the Superdraft thread was closed, so I'll add this here:

Per the NSCAA website the Superdraft will be from 1:00-5:30 in the Ballroom of the Convention Center on 1/14/2010. Subject to change of course.

10. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some news for you guys... after the disaster in the playoffs the PR Islanders FC are going to be rebuilding for next year and a part of the reason is that many of our players are probably going to leave due to contract expirations.

A few of the players have mentioned to some of the fans that they already have offers from Europe and MLS.

Bill Gaudette are awesome keeper, is said to have offers from 2 MLS teams, 1 in Spain and 1 in Denmark.

Jonny Steele also has an offer from an MLS team.

For both cases we suspect the Union, in Steele's case it's because he wants to be closer to his son. (His other choice was DC United)

I would be happy for you guys (and gals) but this is pretty sucky news for me and the rest of the Islanders fans.

Also it's going to suck having to get their jerseys if they do end up with the Union... oh well I love the players, your team will still suck! hehe :p

11. Dbird76

May 12, 2009
    Buggytopia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong, it's nice to get names for us to ramble about, but we might as well say everybody from the USL is on the board, right?
    Just to start another rumor: I'll be looking for Mo Odour in a Union uniform since he's been playing in Harrisburg...

12. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well not really, these 2 players have confirmed to the fans directly of the interest from MLS teams... and Steele has said he wants to be closer to his son, so he wanted to play for the Union or DC United, these aren't rumors, these are facts (about them moving to MLS)... but I will admit that while they may want to go Philly it could be any team in the league. And both are good enough for MLS... Steele needs a bit of work but I'm sure Nowak could help him far more then Colin Clarke.

The rest of our players will probably stay within USL-1, except Fabrice Noel who should be going to France soon.

Bill Gaudette

Jonny Steele

13. ventur514

ventur514 Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched Steele play a ton of times for the Baltimore Blast, decent indoor player. But my favorite memory of him is receiving a huge suspension for getting into fight with a teammate in the locker room after a win.

14. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 is Mo Odour...

15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And one actually made some appearances for an MLS club a few seasons back.

Hmmm, Steele ... Northern Ireland ... Nowak's jaunt to Europe?

16. Dbird76

May 12, 2009
    Buggytopia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

#2 is Mo Odour...

17. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Dilly Duka decides to come to MLS should we select him up with our first pick or knowing Nowak will probably be running a 3-5-2 should we draft Ike Opera the strong defender of the class?

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union could trade a allocation to NY for the 2nd pick. RB's will want it and Union might not be interested at this time in using a allocation.

That way Philly get #1 and #2.

19. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be nice. I also hope we get Corey Ashe from houston he has looked good for them in the Concacaf Champions League.

20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to get a Houston player, go for Talley Hall. He's the backup GK for Houston, but based on the USOC and CCL games I've seen him in he's better than most MLS starters.

21. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but corey ashe has been called a mix of david beckham and gary coleman what's better than that?

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wha' chyoo talkin' 'bout, Victoria?!

23. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have similar concerns with Steele, seems like everytime I've seen him play on FSC he's always getting chippy and gets some really dumb fouls. I don't know if it's just knowing that the national cameras are on him but that can't continue at any level. I believe there was a match against Minn. or Cleveland this year where he was totally ineffective for the final 30min. as he just ran around looking to hit someone. Now, Gaudette I'll take no questions asked, that guy is a big-time shot stopper.

In fact, if I had a choice between him and Hall as a GK pickup, I'd take him and grab Corey Ashe from Houston instead. Problem solved.

24. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His play, at times, seems too predictable. He has a strong tendency to take the ball up the wing towards the byline only to then automatically send it into the box. Sometimes it does work (his ability to cross the ball is not all that bad), but after a number of times it gets repetitive. He'll improve his game when he starts cutting the ball back towards the middle for a cutback pass or run a little more often. Just a little more variety from him, that's all.

25. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States