Official: Union's Eleven - Part II

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by ChefJim27, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i personally wouldnt want emilio if i were you guys.....GOD, for a braziian his touch is SO bad, his finishing has been degraded, hes not as fast anymore, hes not too bad, but definately doesnt deserve to be a DP anymore....he was great when he first came, but is awful now......pontius is so much better thats why i think they will protect chris and expose emilio

2. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly needs to look at these 4 keepers.....Hahnemann, Friedel, Gaudette, and Steve Cronin

who knows who they will pick though

3. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Luis Gil

This thread is now a fustercluck of different topics that were moved for some odd reason. How is anyone supposed to navigate this thing?

Thank you, mods :rolleyes:

4. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    just passing through.

want to keep up to date, might be switching fandom if tommy stays.

Looking forward to the home opener at the linc. The family will be there.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hahnemann - Probably can get way more money in Europe, and no way he is in the USMNT picture anymore, so he won't care to come back to the US for playing time.
    Friedel - starting GK for a decent EPL team, doubt he even cares (except maybe to go back to Crew).
    Gaudette - Sure he has had a good run in PR, but he was pretty bad as a backup in MLS.
    Cronin - he had a great season in Portland, but he was way over matched in LA. I know, LA's d-line failed him too, but I doubt a expansion team defense will be much better, so Cronin has already proven that he can't take charge.

So I say 99% sure we don't want/can't have these GKs. Try again... Maybe RSL will unload Rimando or Seitz and you take one of those.

The other topic was "Who should be Union's first pick?". This stickied thread was created to discuss what players Union will choose. Sounds like the Mods correctly merged the appropriate threads. Don't get all excited and please ADD to the conversation. Thanks.

6. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have to disagree with you on both. When they were in MLS, both were young and inexperienced and had bad defenses playing in front of them, like someone said both were thrown to the wolves.

There time in the USL and playing big games and gaining experience has really made them a lot better and I doubt they would have bad collapses now that they are older and wiser.

But I do think that neither would go to MLS full time unless they had a shot at the starting job or were the starters. It's hard to to improve on the bench.

My 2 cents ;)

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Perhaps Gaudette has proven himself. But Cronin was playing in LA just 1 year ago. I wasn't that impressed in his one time at DC. Of course, that also means DC might want to keep him, so little chance Union gets him.

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, take Tally Hall in the expansion draft. He's only seen limited action in Houston because Onstad is a stud, but in the games I've seen him in he's always done a great job in the net. Not only that, but he's an offensive threat too. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5cu3Qwxcs&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Houston Dynamo goalkeeper Tally Hall scores a goal[/ame]

9. Harrisand11

Harrisand11 New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hall would be a smart pick.

Y'all are gonna be getting something decent out of my Sounders I bet. I'm guessing a solid defender. Gonzales - Marshall - Hurtado - Riley have been starting, but Ianni has been great as a sub. I can't see Seattle protecting more than 4 defenders, so I guess one of those is in Philly next year, Marshall or Ianni likely.

I remember I was stoked with the expansion draft last year, but it wasn't so important. Another MLS fan gave me some thoughts, so I thought I'd share them.

If you have 7+ expansion draftees in your lineup you're in for a long season.
    If you have 4+ then you should be decent.
    Less than that and you got a chance at the playoffs.

Sounders expansion draftees in the lineup: Jaqua - Riley - Evans

Looking forward to y'all joining.

10. JamesonSoB

JamesonSoB Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've seen that over the years in MLS as well. teams loaded with their expansion draft players (see the new earthquakes) were horrible their first year. it has to be free agent pickups and overseas scouting that yield a great first year team a la seattle.