Official U.S. Soccer web torrents thread, Part 4

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Saeyddthe, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    OK:
    MLS: Chicago Fire v NY RedBull - (9/3/06).mp4
    Toyota Park
    MSG broadcast
    Two halves
    704x536
    Mp4 (h264/Standard AVC)
    Up @ HPI now...

YiS

2. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official U.S. Soccer web torrents thread, Part 3

...not to throw a wrench into things, but I haven't checked this thread out recently...

Attention dsp87260 & Saeyddthe :
    Since Saeyddthe is willing to help you convert your old ISO's, dsp87260, I will repost my original US vs Swiss '94 Divx from HPI. I realize I postponed it before. It will be up again within the hour, just gotta dig it out. I'm working on a 12GB torrent folder, so I should be online often. Please be patient with the upload, though. Rock on....

Edit: Repost on HPI >>> USA vs Switzerland WC 1994

3. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005

Thanks to Saeyddthe for getting back to me via PM. and thanks to Newtbomb for reseeding the USA-Switzerland game...it looks like it's not just me that wanted this one (I'm jumping on it right now, and there's already 11 leechers ahead of me).

4. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it really helped to advert on Maxxed (a 1st for me). I didn't want it to be only two guys with my lack of upload to offer. I have realised with experience that I need help with my releases.
    Here is the NFO file on it:
    NEWTBOMB presents
    ÈÍÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄͼ
    World_Cup_'94_US_vs_Switzerland_(Eng) ³±
    ²³ ³±
    ²³ ReLeaSe World Cup '94 US vs Switzerland (Eng) ³±
    ²³ GeNRe Sports ³±
    ²³ LaNGue English ³±
    ²³ ReLeaSe DaTe Dec 27 2005 ³±
    ²³ STReeT DaTe June 18 1994 ³±
    ²³ RiPPeR Newtbomb ³±
    ²³ ViDeo ³±
    ²³ auDio Layer-3 128Kbps ³±
    ²³ BiT RaTe Approx~1500 ³±
    ²³ CoDeC Divx 6.1 ³±
    ²³ FRaMe RaTe 29.970 ³±
    ²³ ReSoLuTioN 640x464 ³±

²³ Length : 46:40 & 49:47min ³±

²³ My apologies beforehand as this was my first DIVX. ³±
    ²³ Recorded from broadcast TV in 1994 on SLP VHS>Captured in Mpg2>Vob>Divx. ³±
    ²³ The 1st half audio is slightly off, but hardly noticeable during play. ³±
    ²³ The 2nd is better quality, but is missing 15 seconds due to tape damage. ³±
    ²³ ENJOY! -- NEWTBOMB

5. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J

Was going to PM, but I thought I'd share, since I got kinda carried away...ummm...yeah. ;)

As I mentioned, one cool way you can convert that VOB file is with VLC...which is sooooo much more than just a "great video player"...
    Try this:
    (oh, wait!)
    *ahem*... Saeyddthe's Complete Chimp Guide™ to converting files using VLC (v0.85): :D

1~ Open the VLC player.

2~ Select "File" > "Open File"

3~ In the 'Open' dialogue box that pops up, the "File" tab should already be shown.

4~ Next to the "Open:" dropdown, click the "Browse..." button... navigate to, and select, the file you wish to convert.

5~ At the bottom, in the "Advanced Options" section, tick the box next to "Stream/Save"... (This should enable the "Settings..." button right next to it.)

6~ Click on the "Settings..." button.

7~ In the "Stream Output" dialogue window that pops up, and in the "Output" section, tick the box next to "File". (This should enable the dropdown and "Browse..." buttons next to it.)

8~ Click on that "Browse..." button. Navigate to the folder where you want to SAVE the new file to, and type in a name for your new file. *NOTE: If you already know what type of file you'll be converting it to (mpg/avi/mp4/divx/etc), you can add the file extension to the name now (filename.mpg/avi/etc), otherwise, you can still wait until the file is done, and rename it then...

X~ Here's where the Guide™ ends, and the fun part begins... You can experiment with any or all of the rest of the settings...and the very best part is: Once you "OK out", and let it start processing, you can click the stop button on the player at any time, and check out how the mess you just made turned out! :D

While this isn't the most efficient or desirable method for experienced users, I highly recommend playing around with this for beginners who are uncertain or unfamiliar with video conversion...or even better, for those who might want to try it, but don't want to bother downloading new software andtrying to figure that out... It's a great way to get acquainted with your basic containers and codecs, using bitrate and scaling...you can include any switchable audio streams from the original file...and it even has a basic function for coding subs!

Even better, you might want to try the same method for capturing streaming broadcasts...just select "File" > "Open Network Stream", instead of "File" > "File"... (Remember when MLS streamcasts used WMP last year? All you had to do was copy the address (in this case, 'MMS:blahbalhbalh') and paste it in VLC, using the "Network" tab instead of the "File" tab, then activating the appropriate field and pasting the address into the box, and then using the same "Stream/Save" - "Settings" to save the file...and you could watch it at the same time!
    You can even re-broadcast it to wherever you want.
    All in a "player" you already have!

OK, so as far as converting that VOB to a decent smaller file, the first settings to try would be:

"Encapsulation Method" : MP4

"Video codec" : h264 - "Bitrate (kb/s)" : 1024 (should be good enough, but it's up to you) - "Scaling" : 1
    "Audio codec" : Doesn't really matter much for this one...and I'd add that turning the bitrate down a bit would save you some small bit of filesize if that's un/important to you...
    "Subtitles codec" : Leave that unchecked...unless you want to create your own...

Misc:
    "Select all elementary streams" : You can leave this unchecked...there aren't any secondary streams (or tracks) in this one...if you want to rip a movie from a DVD, and it has multiple language or commentary tracks, then you'd want to use this.

Then, just "OK out"...and it'll start the processing... VOB to "mp4" will be an overnighter (btw~ naming the file xyz.mp4 should work just fine in this case)...so I'd suggest doing a few 15 second runs, and checking out the result until you have what you like...

I know this particular Guide is a bit impromptu, but I think maybe a lot of video newbies/novices might want to try some of these things, but are either afraid to, or just sick of more experienced people telling them to use this or that (or worse...these) program that they just swear by...when they have no idea what any of the damn words in the so-called "user-friendly interface" mean...
    When they're just starting out, they don't need to know the best way to do something...they just want the easiest...and preferrably using something they already have...

YiS
    Saeyddthe

6. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J

Niiiice...
    Street cred to the thread.... :D

EDIT: I really need to get an NFO together for my soccer caps...pretty stupid of me really...good call on your part.

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Split into the new thread, the fourth installment of this series.

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I never got to see the USA vs Swiss game before.

9. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then your life as a US soccer fan is not complete, my friend :eek: JK

Get it to enjoy now while the file has multiple seeds. I will be pulling my seed on it very soon. I have some multimedia to work on and high torrent action hogs all my processing speed. I really need a slave PC!

The tracker says 23 finished (which does not count the original posting last December...all my HPI torrents were reset to zero, for some reason). Anyway, I'm pleased the repost was this healthy. And how cool is it to share the match with (and get thanx from) Maxxed people located in Latvia & Paris (not to mention the across the USA)! It helps make the extra effort of posting worthwhile.

10. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    i was trying to play the torrent but my windows media player wont play it what do i need to play it with

11. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    VLC...

btw~ How's that FAQ coming along? :D

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    why don't I see thwe link to the USA vs Swiss game? Am I that stupid?

13. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Go to HPI and type Switzerland in the search bar......it'll be the only entry that's returned.

EDIT:.........or you could just see post #2 in this thread.

14. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    i dont know much about this but is a stream the same as a torrent? i cant seem to get that player to play anything

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    wow I do suck. thanx!

16. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Ignore all the technical mumbo-jumbo on the homepage... That's all for more advanced uses..

Use it just like WMP or whatever. It should play pretty much anything you got...right out of the box, so to speak.

If you don't know how to set file associations:
    Right-click the file (or folder) you want to play, scroll down to "Open with", then select "VLC media player"...if it isn't listed yet, select "Choose program", then look for it there (probably under "Other programs")... If you want VLC to always open that type of file, check the box that says just that before you click 'OK'...(so all you have to do is double-click a file of the same type, and VLC will automatically open it from now on...)

or

If you're still confused...open VLC, select "File" > "Quick open file", then browse for whatever file you're trying to play...

...Just so there's no confusion there...

17. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    intreasting that exactly what i did but it wont work for my downloaded torrents

18. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Wait.
    Tell me they're not .rar files...?
    I should have asked what the file extension was in the first place anyways...so that's my bad again.
    RAR files are a newer and more efficient alternative to ZIP files...they just compress data to conserve filesize...makes uploading stuff a bit easier and quicker, you understand.

Just in case they are RAR files (and I think they are, based on clues in your posts), download and install WinRAR.
    (btw~ I'd suggest letting it be associated with everything except ISO and something else that I can't remember :eek: , and let it embed in the shell...just my own opinion, and not a necessary step, though obviously RAR files must be checked ;) ).

Then right click on the first file in the sequence and select "Unpack here" or "Unpack Files" (and select the target destination)...

Then it will unpack all the seperate files into one single file that will be what you were expecting to download...
    (at which point, you can safely delete the RAR files)

IF the files aren't automatically associated with WinRAR, it'll probably be because they're listed as ".001, .002, etc"...
    ...just follow the same file association steps I outlined in the previous post.
    (this is necessary for the first file only, btw...You don't need to associate every single number from .001 to .999 for it to work...all you need is for all the files to be present, but once it starts unpacking, and as long as all the files are in the same folder, it will know where to go and how to unpack it, because all the information for it to do so is in each seperate file already)...

...Then right-click the first file, and 'unpack' it the same way as before...

Sorry I don't have time for a truly Chimp Guide™ for this, but it's pretty complete anyway.
    If, however, you have a different file that's giving you problems, let us know...

YiS

19. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Don't sweat it ;) .........not too long ago, over on MaXxed, I asked for the date of a certain video clip and it was pointed out to me that it was in the thread title :eek: ...

20. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saeyddthe, we may be overlooking the obvious...
    That Switzerland match that was downloaded by kronz21 was Divx encoded with a Divx extension (shell). It was not a RAR. It will play in Real, WM & VLC players, but only if the Divx codec has been updated. I think I used the 6.1 codec on that release. After updating, it should also play in the free Divx player as well.

I don't think we can assume that kronz21 has been reading these threads faithfully. We have repeated common solutions so often that we may forget that our little community always has a few newbs (no offense meant, kronz21). I guess that's why we need a FAQ for video compatibility & issues related.

Anyhow, try doing this Divx update, kronz21. If you can't remember the last time you updated it, it's been too long.
    http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/

...and I love the avatar, Saeyddthe. Very hoopy!

[​IMG]

21. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OOOPS!

I'm in Florida at the moment, but I'll be back in town on Monday night.

THIS WEEK, I promise :D

I don't know if it would be better to have a Mod edit the first post or have a link to somewhere...

22. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    that one is yes but i got others that are mp4 files,dvd files,vob files etc.

23. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    i dunno whats going on here i just did download the divx player and i still and that player still wont play ive redownload it like 3 times already. i dunno if it supposed to be like this but for some reason the file is much smaller than what is says and theres only 1 file and it says there should be 2. 1 for the first half one for the 2nd half

24. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now that info is significant. An incomplete torrent "batch" usually WILL NOT PLAY properly. The data does not come in linear form (like other download methods, even if it looks like it does). If it does play, it will be digitally choppy. VLC is a little more forgiving in this respect, but my experience is that unless you have 100% of a torrent batch, you don't really have any of it. In fact, being stuck at 99% on a torrent without seeds, is a common and frustrating situation for all torrent users.

Are you being patience enough to finish 4GB of Vob files ?
    Damn, I don't know what else to tell ya...

25. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    i believe so but i guess ill try it again....um to download you can either click on torrent of you can click on the name of the match go to that screen and than click downolad torrent at the top of the screen right. than after that a window will pop up asking me if i want to save or just open and i click save and than i choose were to save than it downloads and i wait for it to be done