Official Thread: Kroenke Buys Rapids, New Stadium planned!!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by LuvMLS, Sep 23, 2003.

1. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I was watching the Sweden Nigeria WWC match and it appears that the HDC has bleachers and not seats. I would much prefer seats in the new stadium. What so you think?

2. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Definitly has to have seats, at least in the regular areas. Bleachers might be okay at the ends or something but not where I sit. I didn't realize how uncomfortable bleachers were until the USOC match against KC out in Wheat Ridge.

3. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    that was crew stadium on tv today.

4. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    "that was crew stadium on tv today."

Whoops - thanks for the correction.

5. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    RAPIDS are initially calling for new stadium with capacity of 20,000 like Dallas.

6. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Source?

A variety of media sources have been reporting that the Rapids are looking at a park that seats between 25K and 30K.

7. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I know I'm like the only one. But I'd rather see the inital size be more like 20-23K. I'd like to see a demand for season tickets. 30K and you wouldn't get that because the average game would still only be half full.

8. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    After dragging this deal out for so long, I wonder if the Kroenke announcement was sped up to counter the WUSA's folding.

9. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    Well, if the MLS owners can now count on their own women's league being the dominant women's league in the world, then it makes building a soccer specific stadium that much more attractive. Even if the women only draw 5,000. Unless the variable costs are much greater than I think, it would be better to have 14 more games at 1/4 capacity. I hope new owners like this are able to also get a W-League team playing in their new stadiums.

10. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20,000 is WAY too small for a stadium. 25,000 AT LEAST is much better in my opinion. 30,000 preferably.

Question for you guys....where do you think the stadium will be built?

Downtown?
    Westminster?
    Thornton?
    Littleton?
    Aurora? (I hope not)

And wherever this thing goes, they gotta make sure there's light rail access going there too.

11. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Depends on where they want to go with this project. If they just want the stadium and some parking? Downtown probably.

If they want a huge expanse of youth soccer fields and a training field, like what's at the HDC, then the suburbs without a doubt.

12. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium will be either aronud the Pepsi Center/Auraria area or in southern Westminster. There are a few deals on the table centering around those locations.

13. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Downtown (my first choice) is fairly easy to figure out. But Southern Wesminster? It's all residential except for maybe Hidden Lake. Do you mean maybe Northern or Western?

14. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Coming around for lap 3...

15. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    This discussion reminds me of a NASCAR race.

Circular and repetitive. :p

16. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Problem is, the Rapids' matches won't be the only thing that the stadium is used for. Concerts will be a big draw for this stadium and 20,000 is too small for that. 30,000, or close to it, is better.

17. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Yeah I know ... and that is pretty much THE reason ... because even Columbus and LA rarely get the sell outs ... and they are what ... 20K and 27K respectively.

It's an unrealistic thing you're totally right ... but I want to hear ... tonights attendance ... 20,532 ... the 10th consecutive sellout of the year.

And with 30K ... we will NEVER (this decade) hear that ... unless there's a US game ... or they don't play 7/4 at Invesco. And it will still be only half full.

And actually ... what makes anyone think we should have a BIGGER place than LA which is at 27K?

18. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If your having a baby, you don't go out and buy a 2 seater sports car, you buy a minivan. Plan for the Future.

This is the only logic I can come up with for building a 30K seat stadium that will hardly ever use even 20K of them.

Oh and the concert thing.

19. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Man Schroeder ... and I thought we could have been drinking buddies at Rapids games! ;)

20. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Nah. Buy the Porsche.

Let the wife haul the kid around in the Volvo.