News: Official: Ricardo Clark Signed by Dynamo

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Art Vandaley, Jul 28, 2012.

1. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude ... stop talking that way. Your going to Jinx it. Your from El Paso or something?

2. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think he has brought even more as a CM player because of his defensive/possession ability, but with Rico in the middle and having a possession guy like Camargo in there we very well may be able to move him to the wing. Although, I don't think that is as much his natural position as what people have been saying. Right now he seems really comfortable and he doesn't really beat people off the dribble all that often because he's more inclined to keep the ball than take those chances. I could definitely be wrong though and I could see him garnering quite a few assists with his speed and unselfish nature.

CeltTexan repped this.
  3. DavidLikesToWin

Apr 30, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's a 4-3-3 on attack, a 4-5-1 on defense. But that's what's supposed to happen when you're playing in a 4-3-3.

Soccergodlss repped this.
  4. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know when we first started this formation we were defending a lot as we were learning the system. Over the last several games we've gotten confidence and are attacking a lot more. It really has gone from primarily 4-5-1 to an outright 4-3-3.

JC507 repped this.
  5. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to argue with anyone who wants to call it a 4-3-3. It is just not that important what it is called.

But to pursue a useless academic exercise anyway, here is why I call it a 4-5-1. I saw it as that the first night. I see is as that last night.
    - Defenders are the players who will form the defensive line. The guys who move back and forth to trap offsides. Some might go forward to attack -- but if they form the defensive line they are defenders no matter how far forward they roam.
    - Attackers are allowed to stay high at midfield and wait for the ball to be won. They are not expected to stay inside the ball on defense.
    - Midfielders are the rest of the players. They have defensive responsibility and do not stay above the ball.

Under those definitions the Dynamo, SKC, and just about everyone else running around saying they play a 4-3-3 are playing a 4-5-1.

With the Dynamo only Will Bruin stays high. Only Will Bruin is playing like a forward. Kandji and Carr are expected to track attackers all the way back to the defensive end line. Now you can call that a forward all you want but that destroys any meaningful distinction with a midfielder.

If you watch the second half again last night you will see NYRB actually employ a real 4-3-3. Henry, LeToux and Cooper would all stay above the ball and not chase back while the Dynamo attacked. It is much different than the Dynamo with 9 players behind the ball.

But if anyone wants to call it a 4-3-3 be my guest.

6. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I gave up trying to figure formations out when they gave up the 2-3-5

El Naranja and *rey* repped this.
  7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    We are not far off on our understanding. However, if the Cameron deal falls through Clark cannot join the roster until something happens. That could (read could) include having to trade Clark before he takes the field. Obviously I don't think the Cameron deal falls through and secondly I don't think they would want to trade Clark, but they would be in the situation of being forced to trade someone and that requires takers. I was just pointing out the risk of parading him out in front of the fans on Friday.

8. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Again, I have no thought that he would be traded this year - so we can set that aside. Next year is year two of his contract and he is likely on the standard 2 + option contract. MY point is this: if the Dynamo are going to stick with a 4-3-3 (you can call if whatever you like) there is only one starter between Clark, Camargo, and Moffat given the other guys on the team right now. Sure minutes will be spread thin and everyone gets there chance, but will he find the field in a regular way next year? Camargo may (again may) find himself on the outside looking in next year if Clark is in form mainly because he costs 135k more than Moffat. While I agree with you that 200K for the vision and skill he brings is a decent price, it is a terrible price for a player relegated to the bench. I don't know but I find it unlikely the team will have 550k+ in defensive midfielders on the roster.

9. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. You're old.

10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    dang dawg, that's before they 'inverted the pyramid'.

a million cool points to the person who best lines up the current Dynamos in this formation:

[​IMG]

11. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    um.... hmm ok I'll play.

Kandji - Ching - Bruin - Boniek - Carr

Davis - Camargo/Clark/Moffat - Hainault

Taylor - Boswell

Hall

12. ethan

ethan Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Hyde Park, HOU
    Ashe - Kandji - Bruin - Carr - Boniek

Davis - Camargo - Creavalle

Bobby - Hainault/Taylor

Tallyhall!

With that said, I'd rather have Geoff here as a Libero.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two quick thoughts: (1) the MLSsoccer.com article by Darrell Lovell states that Clark is signed thru the end of the 2014 season, probably meaning this half year plus 2 years and then we go into option years and (2) while it would seem unlikely for the Dynamo to have $550K tied up in DMs, last year the Dynamo had upwards of $350K in backup fullbacks riding the bench for a long stretch last season and Freeman & ERob rarely played after about August 1st at all so the Dynamo will eat dollars at times at certain positions, although that situation developed during the season unlike the Dynamo going into next year with $550K tied up at one position.

Moffat is a good value but I think is limited into how much better he gets.

14. DavidLikesToWin

Apr 30, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Trade Clark? Ricardo Clark? The guy we're thrilled to have just signed? Why wouldn't we trade a couple other players like Colin Clark and Nathan Sturgis?

JC507 repped this.
  15. ra azua

ra azua Member

May 10, 2009
    houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    2-3-5:cautious:
    -------------------hall----------------------
    ------------bb------------taylor------------
    hainault-------camargo--------------ashe
    carr------boni---bruin---davis------kandji

16. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Never said that would be the desire. But you have to have takers for other players. Then you have to trade for non players (draft pick..allocation) to clear cap. If Cameron doesn't go and we have no takers we may be forced to trade him. None of it matters if Cameron deal goes through.

17. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I think you hit on the difference in that Freeman was expected to start. But all the money on the back line was for four spots. In this case it would be all the money for essentially one spot. Now in a 4-4-2 I think the math changes as Camargo is our primary option for attacking mid at present.

Moffat brings too much toughness at a ridiculously low rate to cut.

18. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GREAT. ********ING. BOOK! I actually know about formations and stuff but I'm usually too busy chanting and doing other stuff to pay attention at home games. The only time I actually enjoy soccer for soccer's sake is away games. lol

PS

how'd you do that? :/

19. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  20. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  21. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clark reminds me of Ricky Bobby; dosn't know what to do with his hands during an interview.

anderson, JC507 and Levy2k6 repped this.
  22. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am thinking now we integrate Rico slowly into our lineup. Let him get settled and integrated with the team. No use in messing with a good thing.

The_Ponce, anderson and Levy2k6 repped this.
  23. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  24. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Maybe...but at that one position we have had Moffat, Camargo, Creavalle, and Cameron all start during the streak. I bet if he us in form it is his spot by game two.

25. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been a fan of Rico Clark since his time with the Quakes. Your Houston team just got a lot better with him returning.