Official Red Bulls offseason thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by tigersoccer2005, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Player transfers, front office personnel, coaching---anything and everything Red Bull worthy of mentioning during the offseason.

Woodrow repped this.
  2. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    ------------------------BWP--------------------------------
    Oyongo----------------?------------------------------Sam
    ---------------Alexander---Dax--------------------------
    Miller-------?--------------Olave-------------------Duvall
    -----------------------Robles---------------------------------

need a creative attacking mid, cant count on Peguy to be the guy at his age

3. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peguy is a warrior, but he's better up front. Also if Henry leaves, Peguy may not have as much incentive to stay.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @kokoplus10

Please sticky this topic and unsticky the D.C. bus trip topic.

Edit: And the New England game topic and the 2014 Have a ticket/Needs a ticket topics can be unstickied, or you could remove the 2014 from the title and continue using that topic for next year.

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My offseason plan from another thread obviously will need to be revamped after the expansion draft:

Alexander Eric $ 128,750
    *Bitolo Ambroise Oyongo $ 36,500
    *Bover Ruben $ 36,500
    *Bustamante Michael $ 48,825
    Cahill Tim M $ 3,625,000 ($387,500)
    *Castano Santiago GK $ 36,500
    *Christianson Ian $ 48,825
    Convey Bobby $ 147,500
    *Duvall Chris $ 36,504
    Eckersley Richard$ 373,333
    Henry Thierry $ 4,350,000 ($387,500)
    Kimura Kosuke$ 105,000
    Lade Connor $ 61,963
    Lozano Armando $ 130,000
    Luyindula Peguy $ 90,000
    McCarty Dax $ 242,500
    Meara Ryan $ 69,500
    Miazga Matt$ 71,250
    Miller Roy $ 200,000
    *Obekop Marius $ 41,500
    Olave Jamison $ 290,000
    Perrinelle Damien $100,008
    Robles Luis $ 125,000
    Sam Lloyd $ 136,500
    Sekagya Ibrahim $ 219,000
    Sene Saer $163,683
    *Stevenson Eric $ 36,504
    Wright-Phillips Bradley$ 372,500

*Off-cap players

28 players. $3,100,000 salary cap. HOWEVER, the total value of the team is $3,801,487!!! How Foxy Roxy managed this I have no idea. Obviously we're paying little to none of some of these guys' salaries.

Obvious off-season cuts unless salary renegotiated:
    Convey Bobby $ 147,500
    Eckersley Richard$ 373,333

2 players
    Total: $520,833

Probable cuts:
    Cahill Tim M $ 3,625,000 ($387,500)
    Henry Thierry $ 4,350,000 ($387,500)

2 players
    Total: $775,000

Tougher to make a decision on:
    Kimura Kosuke$ 105,000
    Lozano Armando $ 130,000
    Luyindula Peguy $ 90,000
    Olave Jamison $ 290,000
    Perrinelle Damien $100,008
    Sekagya Ibrahim $ 219,000
    Sene Saer $163,683

8 players
    Total: $1,470,191

If we totally blew up the roster and all 12 of these players came off our books that would be a savings of $2,766,024. Our salary cap spending would be at $1,035,463. I doubt all these moves happen, but I'd guess at least 6-9 of these guys go.

Another thing to think about is that we currently have 8 players off the cap out of a possible 10.

*Bitolo Ambroise Oyongo $ 36,500
    *Bover Ruben $ 36,500
    *Bustamante Michael $ 48,825
    *Duvall Chris $ 36,504
    *Obekop Marius $ 41,500
    *Stevenson Eric $ 36,504

This might be a year where we can load up on some good young homegrown/college players. However, if we bring in more than 2 then someone has to get a raise. The obvious choices here are Duvall and Oyongo. I'd also have no problem letting go of Bustamante and Bover. So if we made those 4 moves we'd have space for 6 developmental signings (college and/or academy guys).

I'd sign homegrown midfielders Sean Davis (Duke, Sr.) and Dan Metzger (Maryland, Sr.).

My guess at how next season's roster shapes up:
    Alexander Eric $ 128,750
    Bitolo Ambroise Oyongo $ RAISE ($ 100k?)
    Duvall Chris $RAISE ($ 100k?)
    Kimura Kosuke$ 105,000
    Lade Connor $ 61,963
    Lozano Armando $ 130,000
    McCarty Dax $ 242,500
    Meara Ryan $ 69,500
    *Metzger Dan $ 36,504
    Miazga Matt $ 71,250
    Miller Roy $ 200,000
    *Obekop Marius $ 41,500
    Olave Jamison $ 290,000
    Robles Luis $RAISE ($ 200k?)
    Sam Lloyd $RAISE ($ 200k?)
    *Sean Davis $ 36,504

*Stevenson Eric $ 36,504

18 players total. 14 on cap. 6 off cap. Estimated cap hit: $2,271,463. My conservative guess is that the salary cap is increased to about $4.5 million. Everyone on the Red Bulls roster will get a small % increase in salary so under the scenario above I'd guess we have about $2 million to play with.

New signings:
    IMO you should always have 3 clear choices each position. A starter, a veteran, and an upcoming young talent. There are of course exception. Robles and Meara are both starting quality IMO. Duvall and Oyongo are upcoming talent and starters.

That being said with what I wrote above this is how we would shape up:

GK: Robles, Meara, Castano
    RB: Duvall, Armando, ???
    CB: Olave, Armando, Miazga
    CB: ???, Armando, Miazga
    LB: Miller, Armando, ???
    LM: Oyongo, Alexander, Obekop
    CDM: Dax, Alexander, Metzger
    CAM: ???, ???, Davis
    RM: Sam, Alexander, Obekop
    ST: BWP, ???, ???
    ST: ???, ???, ???

So following that I'd spend the $2 million referenced above on:
    1 Starting CB
    1 Starting CAM
    1 Veteran CAM
    1 Starting striker
    2 Veteran strikers

$2 million split 6 ways is $333,333 each. Totally doable.

I would draft or sign from the academy 2 strikers and a RB and LB. I'd also look to get our hands on a big time CB prospect in the college draft in case Olave goes down with an injury. The guy is getting up there.

6. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #6 iced1776, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  7. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That's a damn good core of players to build a team around, and there aren't too many holes to fill.

Every off season fans think that the elusive #10 is the missing piece to a championship team, but if Petke wants to keep using the 4-2-3-1 then it honestly might be this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Peguy isn't coming back, but even if he does, he doesn't have the legs to play 90 minutes all season. Fingers crossed that they can find a Valeri/Higuain this winter.

8. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Yea I think the CAM and CB should be top priority. And if you can get a DP worthy upgrade to Alexander or Oyongo (a Jones or Henry level player), go for it

Maybe Armando can step up after a season getting used to MLS

9. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    You still doubt of Henry living?.....

Like I say before, the team is super old and we have to start shiping out all those 30ishes aou of town:

Olave, Lozano, Kimura, Miller(?), Sekagya, Cahill, (Where is Convey?, Him too if) Henry and Luyindula...
    (?) Miller for 130K could be maybe a safe risk to use him as a bench player....

This is the first move that the RBNY have to do before start the 2015 season and them some more during the off season if we can find younger and better players than: Eckeverry, Bustamante, Christanson and Alexander...

I back from my self impose retirement, because I know what was going to happen, but if they don't do this changes I'm going to go for good, is another team in Home and will not hesitate to join them if the RBNY continue with the same garbage.....

10. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sbisoccer.com/2014/11/offseason-changes-bulls.html

“I don’t think I’m ready to talk about that right now, but we have a very good plan for the future, and it is going to take understanding from our fan base, understanding from the media perhaps,” said Petke. “We want to build something, I want to build something, and I think that we have a good idea of how to do that.”

I'm fine with this. Likely means olave is gone too and our defense gets lit up like the Fourth of July for 1-2 years, but we need to overhaul the D. And with Henry leaving that means the offense needs a complete overhaul as well. I'm not sure how many chances BWP got this year but take henry away and he sees half of those or less.

11. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they still keep Olave to for a veteran presence but Sekagya, Pernelle will be gone for sure (unless someone makes a pretty good trade offer). I agree with changing the team up a bit now so they team doesn't age together as long as some of the older guys are kept to show the young guys the ropes. If we switch back to a 4-4-2 I can see the team pushing hard for Cubo Torres as a young DP. Experience in the league, good prospect and current player, not too expensive.

12. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need a new RB and a true DP caliper CB. Get some south american players for midfed;/forward depth and cut Convey, Sene, Kimura, Eckersly, Perinnele, Sekgaya,Armando and start to re-tool use all alloted DP slots and I guess kiss henry and Cahill goodbye......

13. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  14. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henry will be missed. Thanks for the memories, the leadership on the field, and the fiery temper that always demonstrated how he cared about the game. A gentleman off the field. I don think anyone will touch Henry for a very long time as far as what he's been able to accomplish in Red Bull team history.

I wonder what impression he takes away from his 4.5 years here? Does he think Red Bull as an organization is screwed up? Would he take an offer to work for Red Bull as a front office guy or as a coach if the position were somehow offered in the future (maybe 5 to 6 years time)?

At any rate thanks Titi--the fans wish you the best....

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's apparent to the fans how terrible red bull is then I'm sure Henry is aware of it.

16. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    You don't count that his first place is....Moneymaker.... I don't take anything of Henry, he is the best player we maybe ever have, but at this time he is too freaking old, period.... beside all that the team no look alike to be help it for this, his stile and mentality is out of the range of the other 29 players and don't understand each other and that don't bring any good to the team, his style and mentality isn't for this club...

Now, when we will hear de departure of Cahill.............

17. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unfortunately Cahill is probably next--seeing how he went from starter to sub this season.

18. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Tim lets us know before the expansion draft so we don't have to protect him. He seems like a class guy and would do so if he does not come back to us. For all the greatness of Henry I will not miss his walking on the field at times and demonstrative arms and face of disgust as his mere mortal teamates did not elevate their passes and vision to his level. One goal in 13 playoff games over 5 years, to me says something. i know he did get a ton of assists this season in the playoffs but still remember Roy Miller taking that free kick to end last season's playoff run. Hopefully our youth can contribute next year, tighten up our defenense and we can have a playoof run in us in 2015.

19. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Honestly, with the contract he's on and the year he's coming off of, I'm not sure its all that necessary to protect him. Is any other team in MLS going to pay him $3.5M a year? The teams that are willing to spend that much have filled up their DP spots, and at this point may think they can pull a higher profile player for that kind of money. Not to mention he's 34, going into the last year of his contract, and all but guaranteed not to stay in the league past that.

Its a bummer that there has been a falling out between Tim, the club, and the fans at the end of this year though, because he does seem like a stand up guy. He seems to have taken the criticism for choosing to play in the recent Australia friendlies personally, and I think our beat guys may have gone a little overboard dramatizing that situation. If he does leave, I hope he does so knowing that the fans will remember him more for what he accomplished in 2013 than anything else.

20. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Cahill, Sekagaya and Miller all need to go as far as I'm concerned. Miller had probably his best season ever only to ruin it with his typical lunacy at the end.

21. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Fullbacks are one of the thinnest positions in the league, are you that confident we'll be able to find a better replacement?

22. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Miller is probably one of the best LB's in MLS imo

23. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's try this. Here was the usual starting lineup late in the season:

GK - Robles
    FB - Miller, Eckersley
    CB - Olave, Sekgaya
    DM - McCarty, Alexander
    AM - Sam, Lyuindula, Henry
    FW - Wright-Phillips
    Sub - Cahill, Oyongo

Obviously Henry is gone, and that's a good candidate for a DP spot if we can find someone. Who are the weakest spots there? I would put Sekgaya there as well as Eckersley. Alexander is a good squad player but I think an upgrade there would work.

So that's four usual starters I'd look to replace. I wouldn't feel bad keeping the rest. Obviously you can only keep Cahill if he's going to start, which you could do if Peguy leaves. Some continuity is a good thing.

24. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Unfortunately.... Will be the best to happen to this team...... And I'm coumtimg in his departure, because if is true what Petke is saying he have to go.....

25. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he has a guaranteed DP contract and we may have to protect him, not want to....

iced1776 repped this.