Official ReAL SaLT LaKE @ DC United (9/12) Pre-Match/PBP/In-Game Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Bootsy Collins, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedAndBlack

RedAndBlack New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Maryland
    It's not... that ref was an entity

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    What is it about DC area sports team and taking the path of greatest resistance?

3. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, RSL almost took it too us. Fortunately Tommy was able to ream the team into more inspired play in the second half.

If these two teams could spend the season playing each other it would be a pretty exciting one. DC United seems to bring out the best in that team from Utah.

Just a side note about the decency of the RSL fans. Since there hadn't been a play by play thread started here, I went over to the RSL boards and let them know that I was there and stuck in a hotel room in Boston, depending on Arelius' match description.

Along comes a PM from an RSL fan, giving me his logon and password to the MLSnet video feed. Because of that, I was able to watch the match. They've supported us in our stadium quest with e-mails to Fenty and been respectful when they've come on our forum. It's a damned decent bunch and I wish their team all the best (with the obvious exceptions).

4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I don't think I've ever attended a professional match where both teams failed on PK's. I also don't think I've ever attended a professional match refereed by an alien life form. This guy made Abbey look like Esse Baharmast. Wow.

A very "professional" win by a DCU team clearly hung over from 90 minutes in 90 degree heat and humidity on Sunday. Some very substandard play, but just enough to get 3 points, you really can't ask for anything more under the circumstances.

5. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Do the games in the ethnic leagues in NYC only last 60 minutes? Because it seemed like that's about when he completely lost his head. I disagreed with some of his decisions earlier, but that's what judgment is all about. He called a pretty consistent game, and kept play flowing smoothly. Late in the game, though, he seemed to panic, or get flustered, and didn't seem to handle the extra chippiness that crept into the game.

I think he could become a decent MLS ref w/ a little more experience.

6. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Didn't we also think that about our game in New England?

that worked out pretty well.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Just back from the game. The second half was pretty intense. RSL is playing much better than in the early part of the season. Their new Argentine players are an improvement (though hacking, clutching, diving and faking were also evident skills). The ref did indeed stink. The quiet side had a pretty good chant going -- the blue team sucks! Despite inconsistent and incompetent decisions, DC came out on top, which is what counts. As for the Chicago game without Olsen, Fred and Gomez, . . . . It's time for the reserves to show they're part of a championship team.

8. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England