Official Portugal Forum Other Sports Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by jec1, Oct 7, 2016.

1. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    Who says chops don't play hockey.

2. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Funny thing is that some guys I went to high school with have played in the "Ball Hockey World Cup" somewhere in Europe representing Team Portugal. We used to play this in a fenced in school parking lot in the old city York before the amalgamation. Even the Eglinton West Jamaicans would play with us.

3. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    #53 vaiamerda, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Would that parking lot be at Silverthorn public school off Kane right??? The parking lot was off Scott RD, no?
    I use to live on Caledonia and we had tons of games around the neighbourhood and at that same parking lot too.
    http://wayoutinthemargin.blogspot.ca/2010/07/heritage-york-township-walk.html

Street vs Street, old school. I spent 20 something years in that neighbourhood. There was a guy, forgot his name, that use to run the league. He even had a hall of fame in his basement and a trophy too.

4. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    That is exactly it. :D I hated playing there because I was a skinny kid and used to get body checked left right and center by the older guys when they could catch me. I had a few games At Silverthorn PS but used to have neighborhood battles at the old West side Mall side parking lot which has been long demolished.

The older guys never ventured north of Eglinton, they thought we would rob them in the ghetto and they liked the "Cage" more. :D They were probably right, outsiders wouldn't make it out of the area unless they were "allowed". We lived in a building and had about 20 kids in our age group.

I think I remember the guy you are talking about but I don't remember the names. One of my buddies who I haven't talked to in a while would know for sure since he was playing there everyday.

I spent about 15 long years in the Caledonia/Eglinton area then Keele/Eglinton, then Jane/Lawrence.

vaiamerda repped this.
  5. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    Small world!

6. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a number of Portuguese decent in the NHL

Mike Ribeiro
    John Tavares

Probably more but those are veey well known

7. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    I know there's a few.

8. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    That neighbourhood was a tad rough around the edges.
    The old City of York always had a reputation of being the other side of the tracks.
    We moved in when there were no chops, just Italians.
    Now, it seems like there are only chops.
    I haven't lived in that neighbourhood for about 20 years, however this summer I found myself in the old hood getting a haircut at Mike's Barbershop and I decided to take a walk around. It was quite the emotional moment for me thinking back to my youth, the first house my parents bought in Canada, the parks I played footy in, my old schools (Hughes and St.Nicholas), the lane way where I had my first smoke and so on.
    Geez I'm getting all nostalgic.

BatatasFritas repped this.
  9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yeah, that whole area was rough but it was quiet compared to north of eglinton. Too much violence and gang activity when I was growing up. Glad I got out but stil miss the area too.

I still have friends that live on Gilbert Avenue.