Official Off-season Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by FC5280, Oct 31, 2004.

1. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Time to look forward to 2005.............................

2. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire Tim Hankinson!!!!

3. #1Keeper

#1Keeper Member+

Feb 7, 2004
    I agree! We should also get some new forwards and midfielders.

4. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Cannon, Pablo and Nat can stay.

The rest of you, please clean out your lockers and good luck with your new teams or your retirement.

5. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add Henderson, Crawford, Kotschau, and Pedro to the list. If Hankinson stays, take Pablo off (By trade/transfer) as he can't be effective in Hankinson's system.

7. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    same list I basically posted in the above link. I'd keep Beckerman for the bench if he's cheap. Not sure if it isn't time for Henderson to retire. If he wants to play cheap on the bench, then his leadership would be appreciated

8. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    First don't even hint at Hanks being here in 2005. I'm not getting any younger and my heart can only stand so much.

Looking over the entire year, 30 goals in 32 games, which, I think, accurately reflects the sheer ineffectiveness of the offense. Why would I want to keep any of them?

Seriously, I wouldn't expect them to dump everyone like that. But I would protect those three. The remaining players would be "unprotected" and if I could improve the team, I would trade any of them in a heartbeat. At the top of that list is Pedro followed by Kotschau and Beckerman. Yes Beckerman. I know how Beckerman is viewed by many here, but I'll keep him over any of the other remaining midfielders. I think Crawford is the most improved player this year and has played solid. But I'll keep going back to the results. Thirty goals in 32 games and without Cannon this defense gives up maybe 7 or 8 more goals is solidly average. Plus when the team performs like they did tonight, the biggest game of the year, I'm looking for players who can bring more emotion, heart and intensity, along with their skills.

9. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is my evaluation of the team. I'll alphabetically go down the roster.

Kyle Beckerman - Yet again has underachieved for this club. He has squandered to many chances to prove himself. He has no vision, he is slow, and he is hot tempered. Its time for someone else to have a chance at his position.

Nat Borchers - Proved that his success last year was not a fluke. He performed far above par once again. He had a great year.

Joe Cannon - I don't even need to say anything about him. You all know his worth.

Mark Chung - Inconsistent. We at times saw his brilliance of old shine through, but he also was unable to produce when it really counted. He made many passes to nowhere, but it never helped that nobody on the team makes a run. His vision is to good for HIS own good. He actually fought for 50/50 balls and still has the best first touch on the team. Age seems to be catching up to him though, but he is still a good player.

Jordan Cila - Came out of nowhere and shows huge potential. Possibly could make a star striker/forward down the road. Still young. He performed above expectations.

Matt Crawford - Another surprise. Also showed potential. He was able to fill in the defense when we had holes.

Antonio de la Torre - He has both pros and cons. Pros, experienced, good long ball, good distributor, cool composure. Cons, slow, sometimes weak defensively, not terribly good at marking. It seems to me that Hanki played him in the wrong position. DLT skills are more toned to that of a midfielder rather then a defender. It looks like Hankinson tried to put in a screw using a hammer.

Alberto Delgado - Average performance. On the good side he can actually battle aggressively with defender while on the ball. His ball control is a mixed bag. He can have some fantastic steps, but he can also trip over his oven feet. He is a workhorse. He is a decent forward.

Joey DiGiamarino - Don't really know what to think of him. He is a space filler. Just fills in when a regular starter picks up an injury. Nothing really special.

Michael Erush - Since he played a total amount of 0 minutes, I have little idea of what he is capable of. Young.

Byron Foss - Backup keeper. Nothing more, nothing less.

Chris Henderson - Best midfielder we had this year. He has shown a good consistency. Was the biggest contributor in the center of the pitch. He has a lot of heart, but his age is beginning to be a factor.

Ritchie Kotschau - Solid in defense. His experience shows. He had a good year.

Ricky Lewis - Hasn't been here long enough to really show anything. Not that great, but not that bad either. Young.

Rey Ángel Martinez - He looked good, then he broke his toe. Then he fell out of favor. Regardless, he plays second fiddle to Pedro. He might be worth keeping, but I'm not really sure.

Pablo Mastroeni - He has talent and discipline. He has shown leadership on the field. Sometimes his head can run away with him, but that is rare. Arena likes him. Defiantly worth keeping.

Jean Philippe Peguero - Top scorer this season, nuff said. He is the best we have in terms of attack.

Darryl Powell - Uninspiring. He has the experience, but he has yet to deliver the goods. He just seems to be one more defensive midfielder we don't need. He can't stay consistently healthy.

Zizi Roberts - In the very few games he has played, he has been pretty good. The problem is he NEVER plays. His injury has kept him out of action for too long. He has the talent, but not the heath.

John Spencer - No comment. He is departing. He was the heart and soul of the team. It's a real shame that he couldn't leave on a happier note. Best of luck to him.

Jeff Stewart - The only time we have seen him play was at the beginning of 2003. I thought he was good. He got injured and was replaced by Borchers who surprised everyone. If his knee heals by next season, keep him. If not, ditch him.

Gary Sullivan - Young, big, strong, and aggressive. He could perhaps be the kind of presence that the Rapids need in the box, on both ends.

Seth Trembly - Haven't played much, but haven't shown much from the playing time he has been given. Roster filler and nothing more.

Scott Vallow - Backup keeper. Nothing more, nothing less

Keep:
    Nat Borchers
    Joe Cannon
    Mark Chung
    Jordan Cila
    Matt Crawford
    Chris Henderson
    Ritchie Kotschau
    Pablo Mastroeni
    Jean Philippe Peguero

Lose:
    Kyle Beckerman
    Joey DiGiamarino
    Darryl Powell
    Zizi Roberts
    Seth Trembly

Impartial:
    Antonio de la Torre
    Alberto Delgado
    Michael Erush
    Byron Foss
    Ricky Lewis
    Rey Ángel Martinez
    Jeff Stewart
    Gary Sullivan
    Scott Vallow

What the Rapids need:
    A new coach that actually likes to attack.
    A 10# midfielder that can distribute the ball.
    An attacking midfielder.
    Someone that can actually do set pieces.

10. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Kyle Beckerman - Don't protect him in the draft... Maybe the real Salt Lake can take him. Will make for an interesting rivalry.
    Nat Borchers - Protect him... Keep him here.
    Joe Cannon - If Cannon stays, I stay... he is the only thing keeping me watching while the Mr. Hanki fiasco continues.
    Mark Chung - Keep him. With the right team chemistry, this guy is gold.
    Jordan Cila - Keep him. Young and talented.

Matt Crawford - awesome, Bekerman is no longer needed. Crawford is head and shoulders above him. Keep him.
    Antonio de la Torre - Keep him.. He is getting a raw deal from Mr. Hanki. I would hate to see Chivas pick him up.
    Alberto Delgado - Don't protect him in the draft.
    Joey DiGiamarino - Useless. Don't protect him..
    Chris Henderson - Keep him.
    Ritchie Kotschau - Keep him
    Ricky Lewis - Average, protect only if slot is available.
    Rey Ángel Martinez - don't protect him.
    Pablo Mastroeni - Keep him.
    Jean Philippe Peguero - Keep him

Darryl Powell - Don't protect him.
    Zizi Roberts - What a joke.
    John Spencer - Too bad Mr. Hanki couldn't keep him.
    Jeff Stewart - Don't protect.
    Gary Sullivan - Potential.
    Seth Trembly - Don't protect.
    Scott Vallow - We need a backup keeper but why Vallow?

MR HANKI.... "YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!"

11. apetri

apetri Member

Apr 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I basically agree, we need to keep the following:
    Nat Borchers
    Joe Cannon
    Mark Chung
    Jordan Cila
    Matt Crawford
    Chris Henderson
    Ritchie Kotschau
    Pablo Mastroeni
    Jean Philippe Peguero

And I'd try to keep these as well:
    Seth Trembly
    Antonio de la Torre
    Rey Ángel Martinez
    Jeff Stewart
    Gary Sullivan

Rey looked really promising, so Hanki stopped playing him. DLT looks like a potentially dangerous wide midfielder, so Hanki played him at D. Stewart and Sullivan might be good defenders, so they're worth keeping for another season at least. And Trembly, as annoying as he is, is about the only Rapid besides Hendo and DLT who can serve the ball in the box. That was a huge problem last night, all the crosses were short, 50 feet in the air, or 20 feet behind the strikers. The Rapids need mids who can serve the ball, and Trembly can at least do that.

Hanki must go. He's done nothing, and he drove Spencer out of town. We won't replace Spencer, so we need to replace Hanki.

12. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Core:
    Joe Cannon
    Nat Borchers
    Ritchie Kotschau
    Pablo Mastroeni
    Jean Philippe Peguero
    Matt Crawford

Squad:
    Jordan Cila
    Antonio de la Torre
    Ricky Lewis
    Rey Ángel Martinez
    Gary Sullivan
    Scott Vallow

Trade - leave unprotected for RSL
    Kyle Beckerman - Other coaches will see his value so he's probably the best for a trade. I don't agree with a lot of posters assessment of him. I think he'll bring some value in return. He's a young player that needs to the challenge of a new situation.
    Seth Trembly - I've never been a great fan. He has a nice touch. Could be a good player, but again he needs to get outside his comfort zone, and be pushed.
    Mark Chung - At this point I wouldn't protect him. Chung may retire, may stay, but he when he's unhappy it shows on the field. Inconsistent is one description. Disinterested is another.
    Chris Henderson - Tough decision. I'd keep him, but protecting him to get a year or two out of him is a questionable decision.

Don't care list:
    Michael Erush - ?
    Byron Foss - ?
    Jeff Stewart - He's done
    John Spencer - OK I care, but it's a done deal.

Get rid of:
    Darryl Powell - Played out of position, and unimpressive.
    Zizi Roberts - Crap... all the way around. Big, but no heading ability. Feet of stone.
    Joey DiGiamarino - A backward move picking him up. Was never good to start with.
    Alberto Delgado - See ya

Doesn't leave much inspiration. KSE better find a new coach quickly, there's SI positions to be filled. We can largely keep in tact a very good defense, but I still don't know where the goals will come from.

13. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckerman...

Little problem with keeping the defense and Peguero, but of the debatables:

Pablo & Beckerman- I would keep these two as I have long felt that Beckerman was playing AS INSTRUCTED and has more skill/vision than he has been allowed to show. see his US under-whatever games. Ditto for Pablo with the US Men. Lucy, 'splain to me how these boys are better against the internationals than against the MLS!

Chung/Henderson- Hmmm. I think they have more in the tank. But next year we'll need to have others as they cannot play every minute anymore. They are great complementary players, needing a #10 and #9 (ANY #9 &#10!)to open the field for them.

DLT-I agree he played out-of-position (Jeez, how many poats have I made over the past few years about putting players in a position to struggle!!) so if cheap, keep. He has some scrappy intangables.

Lewis/Martinez-Frankly, don't think this choice matters much. Good, if replaceable, players to start/sub but unlikley to be impact players.

Powell/Roberts- This is the mother of all choices, to be honest. This is the MLS Cup GM gut check, right here. If these guys are 100% next year and show their worth elsewhere they'll be added to the Ex-Rapids Hall of Fame list. I hate when that happens. But I think Powell is physically washed up. I think Roberts needs a sytem designed for him. If we trade them in, can we get better? It's not like we've ever gotten much from SI signings on average. Let the new coach decide on Zizi. Get a #10, any #10 for Powell's SI slot, then the keeping of Chung/Henderson/Zizi who need to be fed make the coach look smart.

RLH

p.s. I expect to take some sheet for this, but remember the posts of schooling Beckerman ( or Paule, or whomever) under Carlos to be a #10 so when Carlos retired, we'd have someone that could grow into that role??? A good GM would have done that. We might , five years later, have a servicable starter or at least sub....this is the MLS, not the EPL, so yeah, some of our talent, for my money, has been good enough if better managed with time and experience. No proof of this, but read the next "Ex-Rapids excell elsewhere" threads. Lots of material there it seems.

14. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Beckerman...

Who do you guys have on your P-40 and Developmental lists? Those guys are automatically protected, so there's no use wasting a protection spot on them.

15. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Someone remind me... what draft picks do we have this year? Do we actually have a chance at picking up a high-quality player? Do we actually have a first-round pick this year? Or did we trade that away for a washed-up Frenchie, a net, some field paint, and a ballgirl?

16. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    or the MVP?

17. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Current Roster (End of 2004)

Beckerman
    Borchers
    Chung
    Cila
    Crawford
    DLT
    Delgado
    Digi
    Erush
    Henderson
    Kotschau
    Lewis
    Rey
    Pablo
    Peguero
    Powell
    Zizi
    Spencer
    Stewart
    Sullivan
    Trembly

GK
    Cannon
    Vallow
    Foss

18. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Broken Down

Senior roster (max 18, 3 SI's)

Domestic (13 of 18)
    Beckerman
    Borchers
    Chung
    Crawford
    DLT (dual citizen)
    Digi
    Henderson
    Kotschau
    Pablo
    Peguero (Green Card)
    Stewart
    Cannon
    Vallow

SI's (max 3, 3 of 18)
    Zizi (on Season-Ending Injury Reserve, doesn't count towards 3 SI's or 18 full roster)
    Delgado
    Powell
    Spencer

TI's (max 20 league wide, 1 of 18)
    Rey

Developmental (max 6)
    Cila DEV
    Erush DEV
    Foss DEV
    Sullivan DEV
    Lewis p40
    Trembly p40

so 17 of 18 senior spots used. cann was waived when delgado signed and roberts put on SEIR. that created the open spot. had to be done cause of salary cap. roberts salary still counts though he doesn't count toward 3 SI or 18 full roster limits. so to get salary for delgado, cann was waived (plus he'll be a SI next year anyway)

note that rey will be SI next year. Foss probably won't be DEV. Both Lewis and Trembly MIGHT graduate p40. Cila probably has earned a full roster spot. Erush and Sullivan CAN stay DEV (but don't have to)

19. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We're very solid in the back however we can't score on a consistent basis. IMO - our new SI's need to include an attacking mid and a strong/physical forward. I like this group of 12 as a starting point for our 2005 roster.

Cannon
    Borchers, Kotch, Pablo, Crawford, Sullivan (Dev) & Lewis (Dev)
    Chung, Henderson, Erush (Dev)
    Pedro, Cila (Dev)

20. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Senior Internationals you would like to have...

Personally I think Jason Roberts (big guy from Grenada) is the logical choice. He's 27? if I remember right.

The other guy (i know i'm going to get ripped for this one) is Mutu (provided he can even play by Fifa). Think Mutu would do well here.

21. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I say you protect:

Nat Borchers: best defender on this team and is young and will develop into one of MLS's elite defenders.

Joe Cannon: he'll win the goalie of the year award this year and should be mvp. enough said.

Mark Chung: I bet he'll retire. keep him for being the best colorado rapid of all-time.

Jordan Cila: promising forward who came up big when it mattered.

Matt Crawford: is a solid defender/midfielder and is only 22.

Antonio de la Torre: good attacking defender. one of the better outside defenders in MLS, which isn't saying a ton considering it's the league's shallowest position.

Alberto Delgado: had to shake off rust in his first pro season since 2002. i beleive he will be good next season.

Ritchie Kotschau: solid veteran defender.

Pablo Mastroeni: all-star defender/midfielder, but sufferes from injuries. should also keep him incase he moves to europe, so colorado would get an allocation.

Jean Philippe Peguero: young and promising. was the Rapids' only offensive threat this year. could develop into one of MLS's elite forwards.

Zizi Roberts: he's good when he's not injured and this team needs all the offensive help he can get. if he's injured in '05 dump him.

John Spencer: the only reason colorado should keep him is for his allocation. he's already said he's going back to Scotland.

o, and yeah, Fire Hanki!!

22. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Of course Mutu would do well here, he's got a lot of talent. But I think MLS would never touch someone who is an admitted drug user. Besides, if he's going to be blackballed by top leagues in the world, he could probably make a lot more money playing in Dubai or a league that has a ton of money and has no qualms about taking on players like that.

I want Dennis Bergkamp.

23. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when do you think Hanki will be gone? Will there be a big announcement or a little blurb in the Rocky?

Not soon enough IMO.

24. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See the Post today....

Hankinson interviewed and "wants" to be back. Sez he didn't have the players....his usual 'blame the players' quote after every stupid playoff loss that seemed mismanaged.

The Post also notes that ALL players are under contract except Beckerman and Spencer. This obviously makes the wholesale re-vamping of the roster a bit harder, eh? Trading for otherscast-offs.

We protect 12 for the draft. Does anyone know if after a Rapid is picked, the team gets to protect some more players?? (done to avoid a team with emerging depth from getting gutted right before their older players retire)? There is also some restriction on taking Project or developmentals, I think, but then the MLS makes up new rules as they go ("Double Secret Probation").

RLH

25. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was the ballgirl cute?