Official: NYC Soccer Stadium

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by napolisoccer, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't say that the capacity is fundamental, but I hope that this stadium will have at least 5k more that Red Bulls Arena. Moreover it can be important also to have important games of the national teams ( do you know that the Copa America in 2016 will played in USA and that will there be 16 teams ( 10 of the CONMEBOL and 6 of the CONCACAF ? ). However this is only my opinion.

2. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I did the walk the other day in about 5 - 7 minutes

3. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knew I couldn't trust Google Maps.

4. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

im a bit faster of a walker but i cant see it taking more than 10 minutes at an average speed lol

The LIRR is closer too

5. C'mon. COSMOS!

Mar 22, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...what came from that meeting last night?

6. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not to much - i just talked about some of the things the Assemblyman was telling us and the league discussions we have been having.

I dont put to much detail on the public forums for many reasons. Try to come to hte next meeting or US game

7. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sure wish we could get some people in Miami to understand this. It shouldn't surprise anyone that tons of people will come out to watch big time European, Mexican, South American clubs, or national teams. But that does not at all translate into support for American club soccer. Granted NY is its own special case, the league is going there with a second team no matter what they have to do to get it done. I just wish casual soccer fans or just general sports fans would stop with the "oh, that area has a lot of latin or european people, of course American soccer will work there too."

PCFC and SYoshonis repped this.
  8. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance at the friendlies in Miami is about as similar to week-to-week reality as was the score of that all-star game there a few weeks ago: 7-7.

Smoke & Mirrors and SYoshonis repped this.
  9. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just take a look at what happened right next to RBA during the Euros:

I wonder how many of those come out to Red Bulls games.

SYoshonis repped this.
  10. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whos fault is that though? Thats the clubs fault for having no marketing or community reach out.

Im sorry but you have a better chance filling seats when you build next to that then if you build next to an area that doesnt care about soccer.

There are a lot of factors that come in - Stadium location is only one of the factors. Placing a stadium in a community like this is a good first step - the rest is on the league and the club.

Unak78 and Yoshou repped this.
  11. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I almost put a question up here earlier asking if any of you thought the Cosmos might consider playing in NASL for a year or two prior to getting into MLS..... According to Grant Wahl and SBI on Twitter a few minutes ago, the answer is yes. Good news short term for the NASL, and I'm guessing great news long term for you guys. If someone is putting the Cosmos into the NASL, it can only be as a precursor to MLS I'd imagine.

12. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Look this comes down to a very simple thing.......

Euro snob south american snobs and so on will give MLS a chance IF THEY Really want to....it comes down to each person...

I could go to red drink arena I CHOOSE NOT TO I DONT WANT TO me they could give me free tickets and fly me there in a helicopter and i still wont go....

when NY2 comes around its up to them to reach out to the community make a mass marketing presence have a presence on tv radio and print ad,reach out to NYC soccer clubs both kids and adults reach and make the hard core feel welcome and the casual fan as well... make themselfs accepted be good neighbors in the community and just put them selfs out there..... the snobs and band wagoners will come around when they feel like and thats that....its just the way things are in the world today....

13. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah but it's something we must all consider. The "Build it and they will come" theory applied to RBA...and definitely people pointed to that. I hope NYC2 (NASL...whatever) will learn from RBNYs mistakes.

14. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

YEP ITS CALLED NOT NAMING YOUR TEAM AFTER A JUNK FOOD ITEM...

15. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying that Kearny, which is next to Harrison, is an area that doesn't care about soccer? But maybe you're right. Maybe Kearny's day as a soccer hotbed is decades ago.

16. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    They way I read that is that to build near a soccer loving area is a better way to go. I don't believe he was making any comment on RBA or it's surrounding area.

17. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your putting words in my mouth- im saying that Redbull is not doing the marketing.

RBA is in a good location - there are 300K soccer mad people in the direct surrounding area. If they are not filling seats, thats not the locations fault.

MLS1FAN repped this.
  18. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. My bad.

I did say "Are you saying...?" because I wasn't sure what you meant.

19. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the confederations have control, they just want the most revenue possible, so they find the biggest venue in the market. Houston would never host a WCQ because it would be a road game for the US, but sells out for the Gold Cup regularly because CONCAF chooses the venues. When the big boys come to NYC, they'll likely play at MetLife. It's hard to turn down a chance at selling 82,000 seats.

Houston has a similar set up with our new park. The Astros and Dynamo play blocks away from each other and share many parking lots. It has been interesting so far. No real snafus yet. Although the Astros suck now; when their attendance improves, I'd like to see a similar arrangement to the one proposed in Queens.

How common is this concept world wide? Sports architecture fascinates me, but cricket has always escaped my grasp (probably because I know little about it as a sport). How different are the pitch dimensions? From my limited understanding of test grounds, it always seemed like cricket needed a massive playing field.

20. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no worries - all good

21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cricket fields are pretty large. They have to be a minimum diameter of 150 yards, with an additional 3 yards between the edge of the playing field and any signage or walls.

22. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I thought. The stadium would have to be very modular to accommodate that. Not a bad idea in theory; the market is obviously there, however it does not seem doable. We're not just looking at 2000-3000 seats; it'd have to be a Shea Stadium/Astrodome situation.

23. Bariaga

Bariaga Member

Jul 9, 2008
    That's the ICC rule for Test cricket I believe. Many Twenty20 fields (including in the IPL) are reduced to around 130 yards or so. But I agree, given the size and dimension of most SSS, it's not workable unless you retract a lot more seats (from both sidelines in crescent shape). It might work financially (and only in few cities like New York) if they can cut out the middle man, organize the events themselves, and keep all the profits. But then they would probably have to start a whole new business like Cricket United Marketing (don't abbreviate that). A lot of headache for not much gain, compared to hosting more concerts.

This is one of the few reasons cricket is where it is in the US. The investors couldn't just kick the tire and rent any football stadium like soccer, rugby and other less popular sports were/are able to. In most places they would need to go all in and invest big (in cricket specific stadiums) from the get go.

adrenaline11 and SYoshonis repped this.
  24. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Yes they sure did.

25. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+