Official New York vs Dallas Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCU9ted, Sep 4, 2002.

1. DCU9ted

DCU9ted New Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Rockville
    Official New York v. Dallas Thread

Since this game is HUGE for DC United I thought there should be a thread. I think the game is on ESPN2 tonight but for some reason if you cant watch it, I'll put any updates on the page.

2. DCU9ted

DCU9ted New Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Rockville
    Dallas lost to LA Galaxy last night 4-1 and was eliminated from the US Open Cup.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Any injuries, lineup changes...etc to report?

4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official New York v. Dallas Thread

Actually it is tommorrow 8pm on "The Duece" (ESPN2 for those who missed that one:D )

5. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if you DO see it tonight, make sure you start a new thread with an [R] so we won't know the score when we watch tommorrow.

6. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No injuries to Burn players last night, but Cerritos started and played the full 90 as did Martinez (who looked dangerous down lalagals' right flank. These guys will probably be gassed tonight, especially Cerritos. Jordan did not have a particularly good night.

The substitutions might provide a clue to Jeffries' strategy:

Kreis played 45 min, Johnson 45
    Vaca played 64, O'Brien 26
    TBone played 73, Rhine 17
    Pareja played 79, Jordan Stone (?) 11

Kreis, Vaca and TBone all would appear to be substitutions to rest the player, once the score was 3-0.

The Burn defense might be a little gassed, especially Morrow (ahhh it's so delightful to get old) :) and Broome (who ran all night at speed). Suarez was really throwing his body around, so Jersey should keep an eye out for him (especially Mathis and Faria). Suarez and Broome are young and should be about 80% recovered.

The Burn midfield did not play very well last night, so I look for their passes to be more precise against the mutts.

Rhine, Johnson and Kreis should all be well-rested and eager to score.

Dallas has no injuries (except for Gbandi whom they drafted injured).

On the New Jersey side of the ledger, Petke and Jolley still appear to be squabbling and Perch (Ziadie) will miss the Burn match from his red card vs LA. Balboa still hasn't suited up this year and Chronopolous has a strained groin.

But the biggest news is that MAMADOODOO IS OUT FOR 2 TO 4 WEEKS due to ankle contusion suffered in LA on Saturday!

Davis, Mathis and Faria still provide good firepower for the mutts and Moore continues to play dmid extremely well. Lisi languishes on the pine and Ramos is on his spine leaving the offensive midfield in the hands of the inconsistent Williams, Cletus and Paule.

Howard will have to be spectacular, and his skill mitigates the suspect NY defense.

I think Dallas wins this one one-nil. But a Jordan mistake, a Cletus free kick or a Howard superb game could make the game a draw or 2 to 1 in favor of Dallas.

GM

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I read in todays Washington Post where the MetroPukes activated Tab Ramos from the injured list.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official New York v. Dallas Thread

Unfortunately, Chivas Martinez got himself sent off in injury time in Denver Sunday night, so he'll be suspended Thursday night.

9. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    I could be wrong, but aren't Open Cup suspensions only served in Open Cup play and not in league play?

10. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think that's right.

11. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    ElJefe was talking about the Denver game, which was an MLS game.

12. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think I have ever said this twice in the same week.

GO BURN!!!

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    On the game preview on Yahoo sports Mathis is listed as probable with a groin strain, so he may not be fully fit. Without a fit Mathis and with no Diallo, and with Ramos rusty from a couple months off, it could be a tough night for the Metros offense, which is nice.

14. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Who said this is now the Metros' downward spiral? They lost 3-0 to LA, and that was almost guaranteed to be a tight game. Go Dallas! Go DC!

15. DCU9ted

DCU9ted New Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Rockville
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news/ap/20020903/ap-mls-metrostars-burnpreview.html

MODERATOR'S NOTE

Please do not copy and paste articles from other websites into your posts. Doing so is a violation of copyright - that is, it's against the copyright laws that you agree to abide by when registering for this site. Also, it deprives those other websites of hits - and if we value news articles about soccer then we'll value them getting hits.

Thanks - Benjamin

16. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    If Petke gets a yellow, he's out against us.

Dave

17. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to decide if Petke being out is good or bad for us.

18. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    With all their injuries and their lack of depth, losing any player would be good. Petke might be having a crap year, but he's still solid in the air, and seems to be the only player on that team (besides Mathis) who truly understands what DC v Jersey is about.

Ideal would be he gets sent off tonight, with the foul warranting a 2-game suspension. Or else he stays clean tonight, then gets an early red against us on the 12th.

Dave

19. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    I'm not going to ask for a whole lot more than a Dallas win, as long as we still get the chance to play for our spot, I'm happy.

20. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Me too. With Dallas being at the end of their 3 games in 5 days, and having lost both of the first two games by giving up 7 goals total, I'm wondering if their defense can slow down Mathis.

Diallo being out is very helpful to Dallas, as they can concentrate on Mathis and take their chances with Faria. But, both are very dangerous and don't be surprised if Brad Davis steps up and cracks the back of the net. Jordan has played the full 90 in each of these games, and given his level of activity in each, he's sure to be weary as well. Also they traveled to Colorado and LA, so they've logged some frequent flyer miles.

I'm not getting a good feeling about this game. Hopefully the Burn take care of business at home, but in trying to advance in the Open Cup they may have seriously damaged their chances for the Supporter's Shield and their MLS Championship aspirations. :( Beating the Metros tonight would sure help their cause though.

Oh yeah, they should be rooting for us as well. If we take the 8th playoff spot we're likely the only team that can knock out San Jose before the Burn would have to face them. The Burn do not want to play at Spartan twice in a 3 game series.

-Tron

21. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Yeah, no kidding! C'mon our Red&Black friends, enlightened self-interest!

22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    All I know right now is that I spent the entire day in a stuffy little utility closet next to two big water heaters trying to connect up the wiring for a second phone line. First I got too much static so I had to change the wiring scheme several times. Then I finally got that fixed and connected up all the wires ... and damn it all to Hell - three outlets still don't work! What's more is that I've accounted for every single phone wire I have in that closet. They're all labelled and I know where they all go. And they all work! So how the **** do these three damn jacks connect up?!

AARGHH!!!! :mad:

So it's a damn good thing a soccer game is on tonight. It's just what I needed ...

... but if the MetroStars don't lose ... Lord help me.

GO BURN!

23. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    (R) Update

hold on

1-0 scum. Awful Burn defense

24. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    The Metros say "No no no, THIS is a defensive breakdown. You @#$%#@$ing idiots. Do it right!"

1-1. Ryan Suarez must smell bad or something, because no one wanted to go near him.

25. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    same score at halftime

I hope the Scum play this poorly against us.

Go Burn!!!