Official MetroStars @ DC United PRE Match Thread :: Semifinals, 2nd Leg

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of. Instead of changing the team though, they should have changed the player's name, it was the Metro that Gros fouled who got the yellow, not Josh.
    Unless Josh got one at some other time. I was singing, I may not have noticed :)

2. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does anyone know how ticket sales are coming along?

3. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I forgot to ask the ticket rep how many seats were gone. But I was able to get 3 seats together in sec 232, a pretty good section, about an hour ago.

But I hope the place is packed!

4. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First goal is the key. A goal by us would break the Metros' backs and what precious little remains of their spirit. A goal by them, and we've got a game on our hands. My concern is that we come out playing like we've got a two-goal lead; we need to come out as though this tie remains finely poised and take the game to them. If we let the Metros attack hoping to defend our current advantage it's a recipe for disaster. But Nowak is too good a coach and the team is too full of confidence to let that happen.

FWIW, I recall last year the Metros had to go to NE in a virtually identical situation--down 2-0 after losing at home in the first leg--and could produce nothing more than a dull 1-1 draw.

For this game, I imagine something similar. I think the teams will trade goals early then DC will slowly wear the Metros down, until late in the game when we've got matters in hand and maybe break out for an icing-on-the cake goal or two. In any case, I'm aware that anything can happen but am cautiously optimistic that we'll be in the conference finals. My more ambitious prediction is that the Revs and Crew will tie and that the conference finals will be in RFK.

5. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    I'm thinking that we are going to GIVE a 6-2 asswhoopin'!!!! I have some seriously good feelings about this game. I'm not worried about overconfidence, because in our case I think it would only make us play better, rather than sloppy or worse.

And I think the 'Tards have some serious moral issues already. But if we can get that first goal, I think the whole game is just going to be a MetraTard Asswhoopin' Fest. MAF!!!!!!

--kravi

P.S. Seriously, though, we've just got to pin Guevara and Wolyniec (G-d his name is tough to spell). We cover those two, and we should be good to go.

6. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one of the most accurate typos in history. :D

7. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My ticket rep. said it was in the 10K range as of yesterday.

What time do you need to get to the stadium to hang banners (being that I am normally with my dad and do not get a rail seat).

8. perctarit

perctarit Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ward 6
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And my ticket rep said at noon today (October 28) that current expections were for 15K to 20K.

We should all be disappointed if it's not at or above the high end of that range. Given that United averaged 17K for the regular season, its fine play over the last few weeks, its exceptionally fine performance against Metro last Saturday, and a pretty decent weather forecast, it would be a bit of a letdown if only 15K showed up. And I don't want to hear anything about the dampening effects of next week's election either.

perc

9. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    That would be a very bizarre reason to not go to the game on saturday.

10. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    those darn EuroSnobs.... always voting on weekends....

11. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Benny and Nellie were just on NBC-DC news at 6 plugging the game and saying to wear black :)

12. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think this factor cuts in the other direction--the casual fan may be deterred from this game thinking it's all over so there's no suspense. I hope for a great turnout, but the playoffs are always harder given the loss of the season-ticket cushion.

13. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm psyched for this game. I know that Nowak isn't going to change a thing about our style of play, mainly because we all know that would be pretty damn stupid and Nowak seems to be a pretty intelligent guy (soccerwise anyway). DC has been moving the ball around very well and with pace, the Metros are slumping and their psyche has to be hurting and, most importantly, we are palying at home. After hearing our fans ROCK the Swamp, I can't wait to hear what will be in store for my viewing pleasure this weekend. I will be in Raleigh playing in a tournament and will hopefully be bringing some teammates, and maybe some opponents, to watch the match at a yet to be determined location.

DC 3 Scum 1
    And we advance to the Conference Finals!!!!

oh yeah, and the Scum have no morals!!! :D

14. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    If anything keeps the crowd down, I'd say it's that Saturday is Halloween Party Night. Seems like all the Casual Fans are dressing up as one of the Cheneys (Dick, Lynn, Mary, Don, Lon Jr.--doesn't matter) and planning to swill $12 martinis w/ orange food colouring. Is there some way I can subtly send them to the Barra after-party on the sly? Come to think of it, the ESC party might be even better.

But 15,000 for the playoffs isn't inflated with absentee season tix, etc. The 19,000 for the U.S. Nats last month looked to be about 50 percent larger than our 19,000 for the Revs. And we're gonna get a real 19,000 Saturday, and it's going to look and sound great.

15. perctarit

perctarit Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ward 6
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least 50 percent larger; we all noticed that.

An actual 19K would be ideal. Here's hoping...

perc

16. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    (greenbill raises hand in embarrasment :eek: )

Since I live about 1-1/2 hours from DC and I've gotta go to a party that was planned months ago...I'm one of these people.

Here's hoping we host the conference final.

17. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I guess this came won't be on CSN, as Texas Tech at Kansas State is scheduled. I just hope I will be able to watch it over the internet.

18. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    I know me and at least five of my rec league teammates will be adding to the turn out for Sat. Hopefully we make make up for the halloween partiers who miss out.

I'm hyped for this game!

BTW- Where is the post game DCU party at?

19. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lot 8 man, lot 8 :D

[​IMG]

Come up to the tailgate beforehand :D

Might want to bounce if you've ever wanted to try it before now..could be last game with bouncy stands thanks to baseball :(

Anyway..onto the analysis. I think the first goal for United is crucial. We need to hammer in the last nail, as it were. United has stated it wont be giving up its physical agression, and I expect the Metrostars to come out fast but United will eventually impose its will on them. Even if the Metrostars score early (which I hope they wont), United can still pull it out and win the game as well as the series.

20. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Hay Natty!! Where the hell are you?! I got a house full 'o Barra and Eagles makin' banners!!

21. dcgoonies

dcgoonies New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Maryland

True............only place I could find it was FSW.
    I thought there was some talk of ESPN2, but they have college football also.
    What happened with second leg on the duece?? Was that only if it was Sunday?

22. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Since this game has already been over analyzed, the only thing I have to add is, make sure everyone brings it loud. The players keep saying the reason why they win at home is because of the fans and the atmosphere.

23. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see a tense draw or an old fashioned boot stomping. I'm hoping for the latter. It all depends on when Nowak reigns in the offense & starts to think ahead...

Coming up from Richmond with some buds to watch our boys eat the living guts of the Tards - this one is simply too good to watch on the box!

NO QUARTER - NO MERCY - NO PRISONERS

24. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I get a(non-religious)n AMEN? ;)

AMEN!

GM