Official MetroStars @ DC United PRE Match Thread :: Semifinals, 2nd Leg

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    --------------------------------
    MetroStars @ DC United
    --------------------------------

The second leg of a home-and-home aggregate goals series.

DC United leads the series 2 goals to 0.​

Date & Time :: Saturday, October 30 @ 7:00pm EST
    Television :: FSW, HDNet, DirectKick (gotta check on CSN)
    Audio Webcast :: MLSNet
    Broadband Video Webcast :: MLSNet
    PBP AIM Chatroom :: BigSoccerDCU :: Directions Here
    Match Previews :: DCUnited.com/MLSNet
    Referee Analysis Thread

Items in gray will be updated as information becomes available.

Suspensions & Caution Points

No suspensions.

DC United Caution Point Warnings

Joshua Gros: A caution worth three or more points in the next playoff game in which he appears will result in a one-game suspension from the playoffs.

Dema Kovalenko: A caution worth three or more points in the next playoff game in which he appears will result in a one-game suspension from the playoffs.

Ryan Nelsen: A caution worth three or more points in the next playoff game in which he appears will result in a one-game suspension from the playoffs.

MetroStars Caution Point Warnings

Jonny Walker: A caution worth four or more points in the next playoff game in which he appears will result in a one-game suspension from the playoffs.

Here's the reference page with the caution point tallies and the caution point rules that govern the playoffs.

Superstition

I went with the clean shaven look last week. And so it shall again be this week.

No Flames - No Trolls

--------------------------------​
    --------------------------------​

2. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Gros didn't get a card last game.

3. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
  4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is gonna be fun. I can't wait. A ton of banners, everyone in black and Bringing it!!, the atmosphere will be great.
    I hope someone cuts off the electricity to the visitor's locker room so the Metros can experiance a "blackout" of their own.

The playing style we should employ Saturday has been beaten to death in other threads, but I get the feeling we will score 3 or more goals. And I predict I will be hoarse on Sunday, and probably Monday and Tuesday.

Get to RFK early and join one of the tailgates, or have your own. This is the playoffs, baby!!!!!

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Nicky, Crosses, and Dead-Balls

Tim Regan did, though.

After watching the FSW broadcast, a couple of things became apparent. One was the ESC made much more noise than was picked up on the CSN or MSG broadcasts :) They do deserve more credit than was given in the last thread.

More importantly is Nick Rimando and his positioning on crosses and free kicks. On about 4 crosses into the box, Nick came out and looked to be in arkward positions, making lunging punches or being caught out in "no-man's land," once being saved by a defender. On 4 free kicks, NY/NJ got a clear shot on goal, needing Rimando to save a sure goal. At least one of the kicks went over DC's wall. No one had jumped. Nick's reflexes and positioning are what gets him by, and any one of these could have resulted in a goal, especially the free kicks, where we have seen shots go in just because Nick just isn't the tallest keeper and just can't reach that extra inch. And on the crosses, Nick has been burned before. All it takes is a strategically placed defender, and "it's in the net". Hopefully the team works on the free-kick setup. I can't suggest putting EZ into the defense specifically for height in the wall, but maybe he should be the first option off the bench late.

Thx,

Jay!

6. BaileeMay

BaileeMay New Member

Aug 20, 2004
    U of Mary Wash
    I will say that I am not quite as optimistic about this game...I think the good guys will come out on top, but it's going to take everything they have. If the scum lose, that's the end of the season for them, and I am willing to bet that they are going to come out with guns blazing, and be looking for blood.

PS, I wouldn't discount Colombus so much either. I have read in other threads that people are already excited about the Conference Final being held against the Revs at RFK, but the jackasses in yellow went through the longest unbeaten phase in MLS history. Damned if they can't make up a one-goal deficit.

Sorry I am not so much a ray of sunshine...That said, VAMOS UNITED!!!

Bailee

7. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Re: Nicky, Crosses, and Dead-Balls

I could hear them on CSN too, they have some different chants. On stadium I could hear both group in middle of stadium, I could hear us on ESC side, but not them on our side. Their problem is they seem to stop singing after first goal and upper half of section just disapears.

Anyways, we haven't lost home in 5+ months, welcome to the Hell, Metros

8. Hezbolt

Hezbolt New Member

Jun 4, 2001
    La Norte
    On MSN.COM they had a lead story asking a question...this question actually...

"Are Metrosexuals More Successful?"

Well the answer is obvious....

No, Metrosexuals are not more successful, they suffer from MPF (metro playoff failure).

9. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I think the game will be hard fought just like the last time the Metros were in RFK... I don't think the score will be similar though.. I think this will be a low scoring game.. 1-0, or even a tie... (the 1-0 With DCU winningof course...)

Dougg

10. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No-way is this match low scoring. If it's 0-0 or 1-0 in the last 20 minutes, the Metros have to send 9 men forward. They absolutely have to have 2 more goals than us by the end of regulation. So unless the strikers for both teams are in a funk, there will be chances a-plenty and therefore a bunch of goals I think.

I've posted my thought on strategy for this match in other threads. Quick summary: congest the midfield, smother Gaven and Guevara, contest every ball and be the aggressive go-for-it team we've been all season. This forces the Metros to play a very different scheme (b/c their preferred style of play is centrally out of midfield and our scheme denies them what they want to do).

I think we'll have some golden chances early in the match as Metro waits to see what we're doing. After that, Metro will adapt. Their choices are basically:
    --go wide (which they don't really have the players to do);
    --play direct/long ball (which reduces the touches Gaven and Guevara get on the ball and requires more skill from their backline);
    --pull Guevara and/or Gaven further back to give them more touches but put them further away from the goal;
    --push their backline up into midfield to try and equalize the numbers (which makes them dependent on the off-sides trap and provides a lot of space behind them);
    --hope that their 4 mids will outplay our 5 mids (something that they haven't don't for more than 15-20 minutes in any one game this season).
    Lousy choices as far as Bradley is concerned.

Nowak will come out playing like we played the last 3-4 matches against them. When Bradley adjusts (to go wide or direct or push up the backline or whatever) than Nowak will as well. I predict we don't see a 4-man backline unless (a) we're up and it's close in the last 20 minutes; or (b) Metro elects to go direct-ball and push Gaven up to the frontline.

11. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Metros will send 9 men forward after the 15th minute. Clark will test his range, Gaven and Guevara will be depended upon to provide some magic. If we hold on or even score and its 1-1 after the first half.

Our counter-attack must be laser-like precise. We need to counter their arses off. We don't have to score on each counter. But force corners and hit a post or 2. And THEN score.

12. Bwana

Bwana New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Darnestown, MD
    I've seen Gros and Walker both listed for that card.

Just curious, why does Walker have a warning? He didn't get a card.

13. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
  14. Blacksheep

Blacksheep New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Ohio
  15. Bwana

Bwana New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Darnestown, MD

Interesting. I'd swear that wasn't there Monday. In earlier versions I saw, they credited the card to Gros but listed his team as the Metros. And I never saw Walker listed.

Not that great to have 3 of our players going forward with cards like that. Especially given our "gentle history" with the Metros these past couple of games.

Does anybody else think that when Gros gets his cast off he'll run with a tilt?

16. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

17. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

18. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling that this will probably be one of most intense playoff games of all times.

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I GUARANTEE it will be intense in the Barra Brava/Nest sections.

20. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct. I save a box score from every United game I go to and I'd copied and pasted one from the official site on Monday and it said:
    Misconduct Summary:
    DC -- Dema Kovalenko (caution; Pushing, Holding) 50
    DC -- Ryan Nelsen (caution; Pushing, Holding) 62
    MET -- Joshua Gros (caution; Dissent) 75

21. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    It'll be intense in La Norte too.. Specially since we are going to be the first and closest line of defense against the metro fans that are coming down...

Oh I am so ready for battle!!!!

Dougg

22. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The historic humiliation will be complete on Saturday.
    4 defeats in 5 weeks, 2 in each house.
    If we score first: Katie bar the door. I see a huge score maybe another 6 goal outpouring for the good guys.
    If we don't score first, I see a lower score, but still plenty of action.
    This game should not be missed.
    Go to RFK and enjoy what promises to be a very exciting day of soccer.
    They have to press and it will really open up an already notoroiusly porous defense.

23. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least they corrected this one. I emailed them about an error in the Municipal box score (they have Esky in for Tino in the 45th, rather than the 59th, even though they correctly have Tino scoring in the 55th) and they didn't bother to fix it or respond.

24. dcgoonies

dcgoonies New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Maryland
    [QUOTE
    Does anybody else think that when Gros gets his cast off he'll run with a tilt?[/QUOTE]

I was beginning to think it was never coming off. I forgot what he looks like without one.
    I'm looking forward to his energy in the 2nd half again but, I hope he controls himself a little - just a little.
    I can also see Freddy getting a little time this week for help late if we are still ahead. His ability to counter will be a great plus. And maybe he'll draw another red card??

25. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Will there be any trash talking, Scum supporting 6yearolds at the match? :p

I sware, that STILL pisses me off. Not the kid, but his "father".

See you at the match!! (or my house at the banner painting party friday!)