Official Metrohacks-Crew thread [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CrewToon, Sep 15, 2003.

1. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    i'm changing my prediction from 0-0 to 2-0 Crew. Two goals from McBride, who has no doubt heard about Wynaldas crap article. I can't wait for Bake's post-game quotes, he usually has something clever to say.

2. MiddleMan

MiddleMan New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Columbus
    I have to agree with Bill & Raoul. The boys are on a roll. Against Dallas they finally showed a desire to play the full 90'. OK, it was The Burn, but you could see more confidence & desire. Although I have no idea what the Mutt's newest signing will bring to the field, Williams is an unknown to them too. I think the Crew will want this 3 points enough to edge out the thugOstars. Crew 2-1. Buddle & Bake score.

3. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    I wouldn't say their on a roll yet.

If they win tonight then maybe... but not until.

4. MiddleMan

MiddleMan New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Columbus
    no losses in the last 4 matches....this season that's a roll.

5. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    And the roll comes to a screetching halt by none other than John Fcuking Wolyniac. WTF!!!

Goddamn, what a suckass day for me. And tomorrow doesn't get any better with the Lions taking on the Vikings.

6. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    The streak ends...damn Rotmasters....

7. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    That's more like it. All that false expectations was making feel weird.

Maybe we should just play Dallas every week.

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Powerfailue at work so I gotta go in tomorrow on my day off, Phils lose the wildcard lead, ND sucks, and the Crew pisses away points in overtime.

*#*#*#*#in Perfect.

9. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice of FSW

Real nice of the rat bastards to let us see the end.

Oh well, the goal is all that matters.

Man Woliugly sure put a pretty goal in on ya.

10. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I think Williams did help in the back.

11. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh yeah when did martino cut his hair?

I didnt even recognize him.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The first 15 were awful after that we played em straight up.

I liked Williams mixing it up early.

Mathis is a joke, try to stop whining and put the ball on net, dickhead.

McBride flubbed a few chances he shoulda had. He aslo went all out, but I'm a bit disapointed.

Denton. ugh.

quote from 3stripe..."Oughton has played like crap most the game but he's had 7 or 8 good plays. It's his best game of the season.

Busch ahd a fe good saves.

Finally....

Frankie, you gotta stay with Wolyniec there...he completely left you behind, Clark had to come over and had no chance. Frankie, cost us a point.

13. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fukc cutting the hair when did he decide to cut back on the talent and heart. Reminded me of Charlie Batch. I do not know if it is the persistent fouling he endures or what but jesus man.

14. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    i'm jealous of mike clark.
    he was the closest guy to Carlos Ruiz's bike earlier this year.
    he also got an up close view of wolyniec's GOTY candidate today.

just a coincindence? the two best goals of the year both victimizing mike clark.

ok, i just read hang's post. maybe it was hejduk's fault, i'll have to see it again.

15. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Honestly, walking out of the stadium I smiled thinking of the fact that somewhere, 400 plus miles to the left, Bill Archer was kicking a TV over.

Pretty ridiculous ending that Guevara serves up a 50+ yard pass to Mr. No First Touch himself Wolyniec who nets the most ridiculous shot of his life.

After the shot, Busch stood by the post and watched it on reply twice, before shaking his head and walking into the lockeroom. Nothing he could do.

Payback for the game you took on the Cunningham goal early in the year, I suppose. Neither team played well enough to win or lose, but the ridiculous over time rule allowed Metro to steal one.

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, your Mom's face was closer. so I kicked it instead.

Otherwise, sorry to disappoint you (who the hell are you anyway?) but I just can't get exercised about getting beaten by miracles.

I really liked William's quote today on the foul on Mathis: "I wanted to leave a little bit on him"

Classic.

Look, bummer that we lost but flukes like that can't discourage you. They aren't likely to happen again so what the hell. Was it Frankie's fault? Probably, but he's been terrific all year and with the effort he gives game in and game out, I'll let him have one.

Next!

17. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I'm just disappointed that, for once, other results seem to break the Crew's way so there was the opportunity to gain some ground/put distance between themselves and New England yet they couldn't do it.

FSW does something every week that makes me shake my head. Unfortunately my DVR didn't record the Shootout version and I had to settle for the FSW version. Max Bretos makes me want to puncture my ear drums.

18. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'll say it again... why? I don't get this at all! He makes one or two bad crosses or giveaways - and frankly, who doesn't on this team - and gets taken to the cleaners by the fans. I thought he did a good job defensively, showed for the ball, passed well, and combined well with West going forward.

Williams played reasonably well. That yellow was bogus. He's not terribly fast, tho.

As much as I hate players not fighting thru the foul, Buddle should just go down next time if he's not getting that call by trying to fight it off. He cleanly turned Addo and had him beat - that was a penalty.

ABMOD was lucky that was only a yellow, IMO. That was a brutal elbow that could have caused serious injury to Martino, and was clearly delivered with intent to injure, IMO.

Eddie Gavin is already a diving punk. I really hate Bob Bradley - he sure knows how to bring out the best in his players.

Bill's right about Wooly's goal. Even Shep said he could never do that again in 100 chances. I say 1,000,000 chances. I hate the OT period. Frankie lost Wooly, and Clark couldn't get there fast enough.

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    As for Denton, it's just a simple matter of turning the ball over too often with poor clearances and a few lazy throw ins. I know that sounds absurd, but we should be able to keep some sorta possesion of a throw in and no throw a one hop 50/50 ball having our guys get killed trying to keep possesion.

I think Williams said a lot to the Ref after the first foul on Mathis, dissent probably played into him getting the yellow. It's too early to tell what his impact will be on the team, but either he got in Mathis's head enough with teh jawing that Mathis was unable to get a shot on goal all game, or Mathis is washed up. Probably a combination of both.

Once again there was a parade of horrendus fouls, clutching, and diving by a bradley coached team. No need to be suprised, just expect it. How the hell did Richie Williams argue his foul on Martino. A forearm to the head is evena fine in the NFL.

A photo of Addo's desperate tug at Buddles shirt is also seen in the the "Desperate defending When you are Outclassed" chapter of Bradley's soon to be published book. That chapter runs pages 2-298.

20. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decent game with a disappointing result. We blinked first...

re: fouls
    Williams should have been gone, nice forearm ya lawn gnome... Oughton should have been gone, too - it was a tackle from behind and just stupid on his part. Gavin should have been cautioned for acting, I've see pro wrestlers from Ohio Valley on television that could sell contact better than that punk. Addo should have been booked for the shirt tug in the box on Buddle (and no Buddle shouldn't just go down - it'll be Cunningham syndrome all over again).

re: players
    McBride should have finished at least one of those chances. Luckily Mathis is more washed up squandering far more chances. I don't think Denton and Oughton had terrible games, better than usual however (more involved). Everybody had a good game but it just wasn't enough to finish things and we ended up losing again on a highlight goal.

I'm not going to complain about Bradley's hackers and shirt tuggers: if Andrulis knows (and should) that is is going to be the game plan then he needs to compensate for it. They do it every time - pack the back and put up a suffocating wall of six midfielders that hack and grab and foul to disrupt play. If you can't outcoach the obvious, what can you do?

21. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't think Oughton should have been gone after that tackle. It looked clean to me in real time and in the slow-mo replays they show. He got all ball, but Gaven took a page out of Guerava's book and floped around like a chicken with no head. Maybe if Martino rolled around or just lay there like he had a concussion or something instead of jumping up in Williams' face after the foul, Williams might have gotten a red. However, by Martino's reaction it made the foul seem less harmless or about as harmless as it was. Martino needs to go to the Guerava school of acting and get Williams that red card.

Tough to get disappointed about this lose. It's really hard to feel anything for this Crew team when they are going for second place in the league and have no organization, plan of attack or motivation to win. The "Season of Hell" continues after a short respite.

22. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    OK, sorry but SOS - where was our A-Mid. Kmart's got talent, but all I saw was bump backs and no ball movements or even switching of field. Some Ok D, but Richie is no big offensive threat for THEIR team. Did Richie mark KMart out of another game? When APC came in at least he moved it forward and switched the point of attack.

11 shots (Generously including McB's NASA probe) and 5 SOG (including slow rollers by Frankie) aren't enough to excite me or scare any team. Our shots from the top of the box were embarassing jokes so it would seem logical the box is ALWAYS packed. No other team takes our shots from 20+yds out seriously - why bother shutting down giveaways.

Does this team ever practice shooting from 20-35yds? Clark's shot was a beauty that almost beat us. I watched Munchen tie Leverkusen and 4 0f 6 goals were shots from the 20-30 yd range, but we can't even scare the keeper with our efforts. Have we forgotten how hard it is to stop a 25 yd, 50mph nuckler or dipper? We only seem to try them from dead balls now.

23. sweeper5

sweeper5 New Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Gaven did more on the field in less than 25 minutes as a sub than most of your players did all day. Forced 2 more experienced crew players into yellow cards by superior quickness and intelligence, played beautiful through ball to Guevera that nearly resulted in game winner in regular time, and hit volley from top of box that just went over bar. As for the slide tackle by Oughton - Oughton lifted his legs up like a dirtbag to try to break Gaven's legs on the play after Gaven outmarted him and got around him. You should be asking more intelligent questions, like: How can a 16-year old kid outplay guys that have been in the pros for 5 or 10 years?

24. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    What's Columbus' all-time record vs. Bob Bradley?

25. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    He did have a good game and Duncan's foul was late and deserved the card he received. How he'll do over a whole season as a regular player would be considerably in doubt, though. It's quite a bit easier to come in as the unknown quantity in the 65th min. and look good. When the rest of the league learns his strengths and weaknesses AND he doesn't have the fresh legs advantage - we'll see what he can do.