Official "Make the Cauldron Rock for the Playoffs" thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Oct 20, 2003.

1. JPNutter

JPNutter New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Kansas City
    To quote Al Capone in The Untouchables “I want them dead, I want their family dead, I want their house burnt to the ground and I want to piss on their ashes.”

Or a two goal win, either or.

2. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Beautiful.

"You will looosse"
    -Ivan Drago

On that note, the last time Colorado came for a playoff game, I showed up early with a painted sign. I though it would be a good idea to use the same leftover paint I used for my flag stand. (It's Carolina Blue). For some stupid reason I put this on blue poster board. I held the sign up in section 134 across from the Rapids as they warmed up. After a while a few of them motioned to me like they couldn't read it. They could, but it was hard to read. One of them, a smaller guy, finally yelled to me that he couldn't read it. My response: "You know what it says little man." The security guard got a giggle out of it and most of the Rapids' heads that heard it dropped. What was on the sign, you ask?

YOU
    WILL
    LOSE

They did.

Home field, baby. Bring your own heat Saturday! Don't let anyone you come with wear anything but blue. Seriously. Go to Wal-Mart and get the hair color. Bring the signs. Rest the vocals. Wear gloves that make noise. Bring it hard.

3. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    810 and promotion

WHB has been giving away tickets to the game all week. When I called between the lines yesterday (I was WizardsChris), they asked if I had tickets and I told them I did but they asked if I wanted them anyway. I took them, I figure I can use them to get some more people to the game.

I say we flood BTLs phone lines today and tomorrow and promote our playoff team. I'm sure most of us will get some tickets. Then, when you do, if you aren't using them yourself, find someone to take. Remove the excuse of not having money to pay for the ticket.

Bring everyone you can. Even if they don't want to sit in the Cauldron, bring them.

As for the Cauldron on Saturday, dress warmly. Get those little heat packets. Long johns (in blue, if you have them). Hmm, I need a blue turtleneck too :) We need to make some noise.

Chris

4. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Re: 810 and promotion

Yeah, the high for Saturday on weather.com has now dropped from 55 to 45. The low is 41 and Saturday is 60. So I'd say 40 degrees is what to count on.
    Go to a sporting goods store and buy some Under Armor. Stuff works great.

5. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under Armor

Amen brother... But make sure you get the "Heat Gear" version, as the turtleneck is offered in a Turf and All-Season variety as well.

And on a good note: I've got someone else coming to the game with me! My dad won an auction on eBay, and wanted me to help him pick up his stuff in Jeff City. I told him that I'd only go if he went to the game with me... :)

6. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something that's gotten lost in this whole debate over the long-term stuff and CJ's Q&A session....

We'd initially looked at doing a processional entrance and some pre-game chanting in front of the stadium. Are we still interested in doing this? I'd spoken with CJ, and he seemed quite cool with it.

Sam (or somebody), can you pick up TBAD from the office and bring it to the tailgate? I think it'd be a great statement if we could make the walk from B5 to the GA gates with the general manager of the team (not that any of the casual fans would recognize him... :D) in our throng.

If we're doing the processional, would CJ be willing to change normal policy and tape off the first few rows of 114 for us, or will we need to send someone in with Matt's flag to drape off seats? -- Do we even want to do this, given our "unwelcoming" perception?

Also: Spoon, don't forget the Forza Wiz banner. I'm seeing a parade-style march from B5 behind it.

Let me know, and I'll e-mail CJ.

7. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony was on 810 this morning... told people to come out to the game & be loud. Encouraged everybody to come sit in the corner w/ the Mystics.

8. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Re: Under Armor

Hmmm. Now that is an interesting tactic. OK everyone. Extortion. Get the dirt on someone and "make" them go. :)

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Thats awesome. Thanks Tony!

As for a processional. People will just have to be resigned to go in at 6:15ish. Get there early and get your eating done. As cold as it will be, I'd be surprised with a HUGE crowd. For some reason I'm thinking 10K, so I doubt we have to move too many people from the Cauldron. Not to mention that most, if not all, the people that would be at a playoff game will have been to a game before and will know that we stand there. Not to mention if 50 or so people come marching in, banging drums and chanting I'm pretty sure most everyone would get out of their way.

10. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    I'll be there late. Probably not even in time for the Q&A or the tailgate. I don't know about the rest of the Lawrence contingent, but I'll probably be coming straight from the KU game.

11. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to Arrowhead tomorrow to take care of some other stuff, so while I'm there, I'll grab TBAD, tune it up, get the hooks in straight, the whole bit.

12. JPNutter

JPNutter New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Kansas City
    Re: Re: 810 and promotion

Or drink a 1/5 that will warm your ol bones up

13. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I'm certainly bringing a flask with me...bailey's or peppermint schnapps in coffee is sure to keep one warm AND loud.

Looks like I won't be bringing anybody with me. I'll try my best, but not sure if I can convince people.

14. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    I called in on 810 and their Out Of Bounds show with Tony tonight. They took a lot of callers who talked about the soccer game Saturday. I mentioned that I would be in the Cauldron and Tony had me try to explain to the radio audience what the Cauldron is all about. I hope I did a good job]

Tony brought up the fact that the K.C. crowd is one of 6 finalists for the soccer fans of the year. They also talked about how Preki and Klein are finalists for MVP.

They also said that John Renshaw, from the morning show may join the Cauldron Saturday night. Soccer is starting to get some more radio coverage. 980 was even talking about the Wizards on the Between The Lines show on Wed.

15. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Betwwen the lines is on 810.

16. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    As usual, you are right Spoon. My fingers and brain don't always work together. Any soccer talk is great. It's nice to hear it on other stations besides kckn 1340.
    Speaking of 1340, are trying to move in on Kent and Flavio's turf? It was fun listening to the show.

17. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I thought I remembered hearing something back when Renshaw started about how he was a big soccer fan. I'm gonna email him and invite him to the section. It'd be awesome if he had fun and mentioned us on air even more. Maybe by next season we could get even more air play. Anything is a good thing, right?

18. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "It's better to be talked about than not talked about"

"There is no such thing as bad publicity"

19. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard some talk on 97.3 the Planet when Tony was on yesterday morning at 7:00 that Renshaw said he was going to join the Cauldron. Not for sure, but I think that's what Steven St. John said-I hope so-It would be great publicity for the Cauldron.

20. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    That's amazing if true. I'm really pumped about the Cauldron tommorow if Tony, Renshaw and various callers on various sports rtadio show pimped the Cauldron. I just hope we're allowed to move up the tarp if we over fill the section.

Ben and Matt: if you need to go in early, perhaps someone can call your cell to let you know to come up to the gate to join the procession, that way we get numbers and the section reserved...just a thought.

21. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned it at the game but incase you didn't hear me I shall repeat it. There were hardly no little brats running around the Head last night. Sure there were some but they were mostly in there teenage years. A nice change that lead to a better atmosphere for the game. Anybody's thoughts?

22. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly the ammo we need to present to the media. 10,000 ADULTS choosing to attend a soccer match.

23. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I'm gonna unstick this since we wont be having any more home games until April or so. I'll probably try to get an all inclusive "Cauldron thread" going once the season is over.

24. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City
    Agreed Spoon,
    I thought it sounded much better and less distractions with little kiddies running around everywhere always running up and down the stairway.

25. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    My favorite part was when the lettuce told us to curb thr cursing, because "there are kids around" The only kids near us were Mark's, and as he put it to the security, "I'll say whatever I want around my kids."