Official "Make the Cauldron Rock for the Playoffs" thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Steve DuBois

Steve DuBois New Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Lenexa, KS
    Well, I've been gone for over a month. Same period the team started winning. Coincidence? I think not.

The question is, given my established record as an ill-luck charm: do I stay away and ensure victory in the playoffs? Or do I show up with an entourage of noisy high school nerds? We'll see.

2. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    The later.

Alex, keep in mind we only need LOUDER when we're not singing. When we're singing we want background.

3. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got off the phone with CJ, and have a few good things to report.

Although I'll spare the entire recap, he's all for what we're looking to do. We just need to plan things and let him know, so he can make it happen smoothly.

What we talked about:
    - Having a pre-game chant session near the "Soccer Celebration" area. Chants WILL be g-rated. This is an opportunity for people to see that we are an organized group of passionate fans, and that it IS okay to cheer. This is also an opportunity to invite fans to join us for this evening and the future.

What we'll need:
    - Chant sheets (I've got 1,000 already done, and if you think we'll need more, I'll take donations to defray paper and toner cartridge costs.)
    - TBAD -- needs one of the loops that the carrier attaches to fixed.
    - Other drums -- Duh.
    - TBAF
    - Spoon's Forza Wiz "blanket"
    - A whole bunch of not-quite-so-drunk-as-usual people to chant.

Curt was very interested in this idea, and mentioned (as expected) the overwhelming passion -i.e. profanity- as the main sticking point as to our current plateau.

Something to think about:
    As we saw in Tulsa, by making our tailgate accessible and inviting the general public, we expanded our fan base. Not by much, but as a percentage of the available fans, it was pretty good. Extrapolate, and the numbers stagger.

Problems with that scheme are obvious. The costs could be outrageous, and there have been questions about the legality of it, but there may be some merit to it.

Curt suggested that we may get some success in having our normal tailgate, accompanied with chanting and drumbeats. What may be more interesting, is to do a "Meet the Mystics" night, tailgating in the main parking lot right by the Soccer Celebration. Bigger tailgate, try to offer it to the masses. Yes, we'll need to make it simple or cheap. Yes, we may have to sacrifice the keg. But would it be worth it? Probably. The "uber-passionate" (profane) elements are the sticking point btw us and a greater front-office presence. Curt as much as said he wanted one large supporters group.

Interesting thought, to be sure.

4. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City
    does CJ realize that you can't have both a large passionate supporters group with out some profanity? There are very few things in life that provoke more emotion and heat-of-the-moment passions then soccer. Hell, wars have been waged over games in fact.

I would venture to guess that CJ is banking on the fact that a family that comes to one game a year and buys food and drink brings in more money then does a season ticket holding kit wearing scarf toating beer swiging profane supporter. God I miss the the feeling of being at Old Trafford during a CL game. Nothing like it in the world.

Sorry to recap what others have said.

5. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    If he wants a larger supporters group (ala Section 8) then it needs to be decided upon and followed through with until the end. Words mean nothing, actions mean everything.

As for the playoff game...I'm not sure if I follow what you and Curt discussed.
    Basically you want to uproot us from B5 and locate us in the C lot near Soccer Celebration?
    I have an easy solution for providing tailgating for loads more people. The Wizards buy the supplies. :)

My original idea was for everyone on these boards to contact every possible person that would come to a Wizards game and get them in the Cauldron, if only for one night. Anything on top of that (i.e., that has lasting effects in future years...) is bonus.

6. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    CJ has been given many opportunities to improve and enhance the Mystics. He lacks the forsight, wisdom, and character to make this a priority that will work.

7. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Devil's Advocate

I really don 't think the problem is CJ. I think the problem is the numbers in the cauldron, especially season tickets in the cauldron. I see it as a cost/value type of thing. What has the Cauldron done for the Wizards? Is it worth the effort from the front office to deal with the headaches that comes with a loud loosely organized group of supporters? Has the "leadership" of the Mystics lost control, and effectively disbanded the group in favor of a more general supporters area? If we ignore them long enough will the "problem" go away? How much do we really need this core group for marketing? How many season tickets do these people buy?

end Devil's advocate

In all honesty maybe we (the cauldron/Mystics) have not made ourselves valueable enough to the organization, or maybe the fail to see the value. To me it is all about numbers. When we visited Chicago, Peter Wilt gave us some suggestions. 1. Local ethnic groups 2. Local High School teams. 3. College teams. Those are the people he said that supporters should be marketing to. I don't know about any large enclaves of ethnicities except for Mexicans and WASP. High School and College teams on the other hand is something that can be focused on. More numbers means more value.

8. bladius

bladius New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Lawrence

Clearly CJ hasn't done enough for the Mystics. Since his given us everything we've ever asked for he obviously needs to start doing more.

The Cauldron has more people in it and is louder than ever before. The section still has room to grow and there is work yet to be done but I think blaming CJ is just wrongheaded.

CJ has done much to enhance the Mystics and the stadium atmosphere in general.

9. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to Matt for the Idea...

[Devil's Advocate]
    He sure has... Like turning our chant sheets into a promotion for the Zardmeister, and lest we forget, the Zardmeister himself. Let's also not forget the canned music.
    [/Devil's Advocate]

The front office has done a lot for us, but for every good deed there is something equally bad done.

It seemed clear to me from the conversation with CJ that we have somehow cultivated an isolationist persona. Whether it's by moving our tailgate, not welcoming newcomers, or whatever, that's the persona we've cultivated.

What we have a chance to do for this game is to erase that persona.

We need to do that.

10. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true of the Cauldron/Mystics as well as any other organization I've ever been associated with.

In order to make people feel welcome they must be welcomed. Put yourself in the shoes of someone approaching the Cauldron or the tailgate for the first time. If none of the regulars even bothers to acknowledge your presence, it's not likely you'll return.

Say hi, introduce yourself, exchange BS screen names, etc. Make 'em feel welcome and they'll want to be a part of the group.

11. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I just don't see why we would be thought of as isolationists, even though I can accept that people may think that. Every game we encourage people through the announcement on the jumbotron to come join us, and that they don't need a special ticket. Also, our section description on the website is equally inclusive. Lastly, I haven't read the program in a while, but in the Mystics corner or whatever it was/is, we encouraged people. I'm just not sure how much more we can be inclusive.

I see two or three problems;

1.)Front office not crediting us with our leg work, or promoting us as Wilt does section 8. Ex.: Coach's and Malloy Bros. weren't marketed as "Join the Mystics and wizards fans..." it was "the Official Wizards watch party which the mystics did all the leg work and now we're taking credit for." See also the chant sheets John mentioned.

2.) Competition through the FO for a secondary/official/kid friendly section (and that lame-ass Zard Meister). Take a hint from Chicago. Consolidate all "groups"

3.)Unrealistic views of family friendly pro sports. We're young, we're boisterous, and the key demographic. Of course we're going to be unruly. Does the FO have reason to expect us not to run riot and turn the environment hostile? Of course. Have we ever done that more than once or twice in a season? Not to my knowledge. Asside from two instances of beer throwing, and smoke bombs two years ago (and I think they should be more lienient about the incendiary devices) we've been as perfect little angels as you can expect from fans of professional sports.

Lastly, I think we should really demand that we have a consistant security crew and Fan Assistance crew (and not the crotchity old men that we've had recently.) We had a lot fewer problems when the security new what to expect and knew we weren't bothering anyone. Also, last game I saw a lettuce person at the top of the section turn away people because she told them that "that's where the band sits." I can't even begin to bitch enough about how wrong that is. I realize that the front office doesn't ness. control the security/FA's, but why can't they?

I think a "meet the mystics"/recruitment spree is a great idea, but not for the playoffs. People there probably already know us. But we should focus on this next year, probably at the home opener.

12. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But this has to go both ways.... That's how I did things. I came up to the SuperDraft, and I introduced myself to a few people... If strangers don't introduce themselves, there's really no way to "welcome" them.

Which leads directly into the point of what I tried to arrange with CJ and the front office. During a game is NOT the time to come over and introduce yourself. Before is. That's why we're going to move over some time before the game and chant and try to welcome people.

Maybe it will work, or not.

13. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I call BS on this. Every new person I've seen who has ever introduced themselves at the tailgate or the section has been welcomed with open arms and I've seen everyone be extremly open. People can't come and expect us to do everything. If people come by and don't take the inititive to introduce themselves, how are we to know they're even there? We can't read people's minds or intents, nor can we stop every person in the parking lot and try to recruit.

14. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not playing Devil's advocate, that's just straight-up sarcasm. Get your imaginary markup tags straight.... ;)

15. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Ummmmm.....exactly what he said!

I think we're getting close to a list of demands after many discussions. Feel free to agree/disagree/edit/etc.:
    1) Better, and complete, knowledge throughout the Wizards FO and the security staff of our purpose and goals. Obviously this purpose and goals must be clearly stated by us at some point.
    2) Security needs to be more consistant and knowledgable about our section. Turning people away is NOT acceptable, yet they must help newcomers realize what the section will be like.
    3) Quit stealing our shit. Thats pretty blunt, but the Coach's watch party and the chant sheets really hacked me off. If we've got ideas at least give us credit for them. If fans see is coming up with good ideas they'll have positive feelings about our intentions and our group
    4) Less music piped in over us. More help involving the crowd in our singing/chanting. i.e., work toward a chant with words on the jumbotron.
    5)...

16. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can "call BS" on this but I think you're missing the point. You are part of a group where everybody already knows each other. Now you expect a newbie to come up and introduce themselves? For many people this is a difficult thing to do. I still think the group needs to acknowledge them and try to make them feel welcome and part of the group. Then you'll have a new member of the group who'll come back.

17. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City
    I was thinking about getting a megaphone (lots onb ebay), think they would let me bring it in and use it during the chants? I be the siren would be cool after a goal.

I guess the better question is would I be too annoying to the rest of you all if I bought one? Hell, i might even donate one it to the mystics so that the chant leaders could use it. Any thoughts?

18. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say don't worry about buying the megaphone, because:

1) I already have one.
    2) I wasn't able to bring it in... I am going to try again for the playoff game..

Also - Sam... TBAD needs to be fixed. One of the eyehooks came loose......

Spoon... You and I need to talk, ASAP...

19. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    The preceeding x posts are exactly what I'm talking about when I say that CJ lacks the imagination and leadership to make the Mystics a working priority. CJ for now is the GM. The responsibility of maximizing the participation and consequent synergy of any supporters group to the Wizards lies solely with him. If he can't see the need, orchestrate others to act, or utilize the very group of people who want to belong most; then what kind of leader is he?

A Q&A session with guys at a tailgate is a gentlemanly and social gesture. But, please don't tell me its an overt action meant for him to actually acquire knowledge or bring Mystics into the fold. It isn't.

I'd love to be wrong about this. It's just I have not seen even one thing to indicate the contrary. I understand KCW had paid for certain things regarding the Mystics and provides the grill. Great, thank you. It does seem like the very least that could be done for a block of people providing the vocal and financial backing that the Mystics provide.

[Math]35 people a game average times $10/seat times 18 games is $6300 every year. Add parking, jerseys, concessions, etc. and you are probably talking $10k easy...at least if Ben and Matt keep buying beers :). I'd guess that makes the Mystics one of the larger and more improtant groups annually. Add that the Mystics don't miss games if it can be helped and the Wizards essentially have an annuity. Any effort given to growing the Mystics increases the only number in the equation that can be dramaticly increased - the first one. CJ thinks this either too hard or he doesn't see it in the first place.[/Math]

20. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Woah!
    I bought a lot more than that in the last year! :)
    Regardless, the more the merrier, now get people there for November 8th! PERIOD.

21. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But unfortunitly we are seen as a nusance more than anything becuase we are not apart of their family atmosphere plans.

Imo they really could care less about us. I don't think they see the $$$ we spend and the other things we do for the team. If it wasn't for us there would be no watch parties. Even though it is deamed now as a the "Offical Wizards watch party" As well as a successfull radio show which has never happened in the exsistance of the team.

If CJ really wanted to help us and make Arrowhead rock he would get the music to stop that no one reacts to. How are you to get the other fans into the game when there is music blarring all the time? The only thing CJ has done was get us a microphone. Has the mic helped? Is it really worth having anymore?

Dave for once we agree on something good post.

22. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me review what happened with the watch parties at Coach's.

1. We learned that MLS and a rather large number of Wizards games were going to be broadcast on HDNet.

2. After checking to see what local bar/restaraunts subscribed to HDNet, Sam Pierron suggested Coach's.

3. I called Coach's to see if they would be willing to have us. They responded enthusiastically that they would.

4. Prior to the first game, Sam and I met with Curt about the upcoming season. At that meeting I told Curt of our plans to watch at Coach's and encouraged him to send out a notice on the Wizards e-mail news service to make it available to everyone.

I did not ask for credit, or in any way construe this as a Mystics party. My whole goal of suggesting it to Curt was to get the most people possible at Coach's. Frankly, I didn't think the Mystics alone could sustain the type of business that bar owners are after. This is not a knock against the Mystics. Rather I say that based on a couple of realities: a) we are not a very large group, b) several members of this small group like to watch from the comfort of their own homes / cities, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I feel it was the right decision to open up the watch parties to everyone. We may have done the initial 'legwork' but the majority of attendance at these events is comprised on non-Mystic, non-Cauldron people. I see this as a good thing. While I would like greater Mystic attendance at the watch parties, I feel the most important thing is we are making a positive economic impact. Obviously Coach's owner felt so good about having Wizards fans there and wanted to encourage us to keep coming back that he opened up the restaraunt on a day he would normally be closed, served us himself, and gave us FREE FOOD on the 4th of July! MLS needs these types of things to happen.

5. The front office does deserve credit for promoting the watch parties. I have not had to send them reminder letters every week. Also, the front office has supplied prizes to be drawn at halftime of each of the watch parties since at least July.

I really don't see a big deal about credit for the watch parties. I understand the theory of creating a better image for our group. However, consider this devil's advocate question: do you think that labeling it as the Mystics' watch party might have kept people away in the first place?

23. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it possibly may have kept people away if it had initially been marketed by the Wizards as such, it would have been great to see the Wizards acknowledge the Mystics and the Cauldron as having taken all the steps to get the watch party going.... I think that would go HUGE to creating the FAVORABLE, RESPONSIBLE image we desire.

As it is, the front office is getting credit for our legwork.

24. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I have to disagree with you, Kevin. I think most people's beef about Coaches isn't that there are non-mystics there, but that we were left out in the cold, and lost a prime opportunity to advertise ourselves. If CJ had the vision or passion of say, Peter Wilt, he would have promoted the watch parties as a joint venture of the Mystics and FO. Thus, we are given more credit as fans, and other fans are aware that there is a closer relationship between fans and FO than in most other sports.

As it were, we handed CJ a prime marketing device (for the Wizards FO solely) without any FO man-hours invested. And they wisely took it. But would it have hurt anything to continue to promote it and us at the same time? Absolutely not. Would it have hurt the turn out if our name had been attached to it? I can't believe that it would have, esp. considering that a number of the games were only viewable at Coach’s.

The fact is that if we keep letting our ideas be pilfered (and used successfully) by the FO, then they're going to keep doing it. They're going to keep coming to us for advice and ideas (I hope, 'cause I know we're more effective than most of the marketing genius' in the FO) than we need to start asking for credit. We don't have to be dicks about it, but we know now that we can have good attendance, so we need to stop being ignored for the sake of "the more people at the 'head the better" and focus on "the more people in the Cauldron and in the Mystics, the better." The first is the duty of the Crusaders, which has worked beautifully. The later is our responsibility. And I for one don't think that we're doing all we can.

I don't want to ness. turn this into "what the Mysctics need to change for next year" but perhaps we should start thinking about it now, while our memories are fresh with what does and does not work.

25. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Jace is onto something with his last sentence....

Lets continue this discussion on another thread once the current season ends. We can all agree nothing major is going to change in one week. But lets concentrate on getting people in a WILD Cauldron a week from today. Personally, I'm not talking at all just so my voice will be as loud as possible. :)
    I really can't wait until next weekend. Being at college I missed the last couple playoff games. I can't wait to be in Arrowhead and celebrate advancing to the semi's.