Official: LUdwig and Namoff out

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by John_Harkes_6, Aug 8, 2002.

1. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    And how many sitters has Roy missed? Why is he still around if we need to free up a roster spot (which I assume is what this is all about).

We've done poorly at drafting *and* at developing young players over th past couple of years. The coaching staff has changed a good deal over that time, but the senior manager, KP, has stayed the same. I'm inclined to think that's where the problem is.

2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many has Roy scored over the years to afford him a break or two?

3. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Over the last couple of years? Precious few.

4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true but Ludwig last scored in college, and I don't mean at his frat house. ;)

5. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Not to break up the hate fest for Roy and why oh why did DC United let the superstar Ludwig go...but perhaps Ludwig was chosen for waiver over Roy because Ludwig would get picked up by another team. See after July 7th or so, ALL contracts in MLS are secure - that means if a player is waived, MLS still pays the contract out. Which means, DC United still has said player on the books! However, the 'out' clause is that if the player signs another contract, they are no longer paid by MLS and hence off DC United's books.

Easy choice really:
    Ludwig - off the books because Richmond signed him.

Roy - if waived, he's still on the books because no one would pick him up...so you might as well keep him around in case he actually does score.

6. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes, but if the team signs no one, then what was the point of releasing him?

7. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    He may be gone next season for all we know - that's why I said time will tell if it was a good decision. Dallas decided to take that chance while DC did not.

Vaca had also been touted as the next Etcheverry, and as a result had already generated interest in Europe when MLS signed him. Tino, Convey, and Mapp had absolutely no name recognition outside the US when they were signed. That's the difference.

Finally, DC thought Etch would still be the go-to guy, so there was no sense getting another playmaker at that time, especially since they thought Vaca would leave DC just as Etch was retiring.

Additionally, I'm not the one who came up with this. It was widely discussed at the time of the draft, so don't kill the messenger if you disagree. I'm just giving you the facts.

Finally, of all the stupid decisions made by DC in drafts/trades over the last three years, this decision is the one I find least objectionable. Why the focus on this one pick?

8. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    how many rings does Roy have and how many does Ludwig have? The idea that a DC United fan can even put Ludwig in the same boat as Roy (even in his current crap state) speaks volumes to the "what have you done for me lately" mind set of our "fans"...

I can't what to see the next Marco is crap thread, but before we go hitting that button check out Ray's latest comments about him.

9. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Actually, we also have Petter Villegas and a second round draft pick out of that draft, since we got Ziadie and Lisi in that draft and then traded them for Villegas and Perez and then traded Perez for Chicago's second round (I think) draft pick.

I think I'm helping to prove your point.

10. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    That is the point. You don't free up the roster space until you have somebody to put there...or at least have a very strong idea that somebody that takes that spot is coming real soon.

So, who fills that spot?