Official (Live Action) DC vs. NE (9/9) POST-GAME Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sachin, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to the Fred goal:

I was just looking at the highlights on MLSnet, and while grainy and nearly impossible to pause at the right moment. There's a couple of key things just as the pass is struck.

1. Fred is goal-side of the man marking him.
    2. The defender nearest to the camera may be even with Fred.
    3. The AR is two yards goal-side of either of these two players.

My conclusion, it's a close call that could probably go either way. But the key aspect is the horrible positioning by the AR to not be in a good position to make the call.

2. RedAndBlack

RedAndBlack New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Maryland
    The rule is to give the advantage to the attacking player so the fans see more goals, but yes he was out of position on that play

This was one of, if not the worst crews I have ever seen. The AR was out of position the whole night(Even on the Heaps goal off the corner, so he should have been on the goal line) There were plenty of calls missed or made that shouldn't.

3. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

You said 'rule' when talking about MLS refs.

Good one.

You gotta stop, you're killing me!

4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Actually I think he got both of those calls right. If you need to go to slow motion / freeze frame to check for the offsides, then it's really close and the refs are human, you know. Those were certainly closer than the one at Chivas the other night.

The real take home lesson is that the defense was cutting it close. When that is happening, if the offense keeps attacking like we were, then eventually the defense is going to get burned.

And by the way, FUCK YOU REIS!

5. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put me down for the AR getting it right.

Gomez was offside, Fred was not.

6. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Lucigol is a pure goal scorer. He loves to score at a level that is exponentially higher than the normal goal scorer. I've never seen anyone so overjoyed to score. I think he can plead temporary insanity.

That whole play is so sweet. BC's run is for the ages, but watching Lucigol on the TiVO after the match...man, what a run. And he was so patient with it, timing it just right to burst in between the NE defenders. Pure class.

7. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC
    well when a man has ahold of one's foot, it's difficult to do the right thing and walk away. I imagine the conversation went something like this:

Benny: Pardon me Matt, but I believe you've mistakenly taken ahold of my foot.

Matt: Screw you - Go Pats!! Eagles Suck!!

Benny: Well, that hardly seems called for - oh my, you appear to have a bit of lint on your shirt, let me just get that for you.

Matt: Oh no, my lucky Twellman foot lint - you bastard (shove).

8. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're too generous. We all know Reis can only communicate through a series of grunts, squeals, and spastic gesticulations.

9. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Spastic Gesticulations" would be a great name for a band...

10. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Yup. Dead on. He slowed down to lose his mark, then just shot past him to get to the ball Carroll chipped in. A wonderful goal.

It was a very savvy move. Very much like Dempsey's in the Nats game. You could see him back off his run to get some room.

11. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I am loudly on the record as being against the trade. I'm, erm, well, yeah, wrong. Hey look a bird!

Seriously, I was soooo wrong about that trade. Vanney has done an excellent job with the backline. He really organizes the youngsters into positions where they will succeed. He's given a master class to McT and BB.

12. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Perhaps Reiss was proposing that they paint each others toenails?

13. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No, no, you've all got it wrong. Reis grabbed Benny's foot so Ben grabbed his jersey. At that point, Reis (through his spastic gesticulations) communicated "if you want my shirt, I'll give it to you at the end of the match." At which point, Benny (being a WC veteran) replied, "no, what I'd really like is the shirt off your sister." At which point Reis tried to headbutt him but couldn't figure out how to make it work so instead he shoved him in the face. And since the referee failed to notice this and issue the obligatory red card, Olsen figured he had to cap his insult by creating a goal, thus doing Materazzi one better!

And MattM--regarding the toe polish comment--damn you--I won't be able to get that picture out of my head all day!

14. DMP73

DMP73 New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Alexandria
    This certainly may have been what was said, but I think Bennie gave Reis the old titty twister hoping Reis would punch him and get red carded. How awesome would that have been. Ben would have gotten up, dusted himself off, spit a tooth out and grinned at Reis as he was sent packing.

:)

15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I know for sure about the Benny vs. Reis thing was that if someone shoved a Rev player (*cough*Smith*cough*) like that he would have gone to ground clutching at his face, rolling around on the field begging for a card ;)
    Benny grinned.

16. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    The fans have their loyalties. Late in the game, when we were winning 4-2, the Barra started chanting, "We want five! WE WANT FIVE!"

Clearly we were voicing our suppressed yearning for our good old #5 Facundo Erpen!

;)

17. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit Benny with two assists yesterday. The first was at half time, when he crossed a ball in for the white-shirted kids team.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we wanted a return of Geoff Aunger, to put Heaps in his place :D

19. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC
    6 feet under?

20. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No, it was about a fifth star, so we all have to buy new jerseys. :)

21. jwgreen40

jwgreen40 Member

Jun 18, 2003
    on the quiet side it was really great to hear a spontaneous chant break out towards the end of the game....clap clap "first place" clap clap "first place". that felt so sweet!

22. DrEvil

DrEvil New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Laurel, MD
    speaking of heaps, was it just me or did that ball never entirely cross the line. i couldn't get a good look at it. anyone?

23. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen a good replay, but I think Fred saved it.

24. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    With his hand.

25. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yeah. If you're going to get all detailed about it......

EDIT: Based on this play alone, I suggest that Fred be listed as a backup keeper in front of Nolly.