Official (Live Action) DC vs. NE (9/9) POST-GAME Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sachin, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I included it in the "ugliest" category because it looked like the kind of goal you see in old guy pickup soccer. I'm playing tomorrow and expect to see a couple of those!

2. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    I agree completely. I posted something similar on Goff's blog: before Vanney, DC was 6-2-4 w/ 17 GA. Since the trade, they're 8-2-2 w/ 10 GA. For every goal he has cost United due to age and relative slowness, he's prevented 5 through leadership and improved defensive organization. It's astounding that so many people fail to realize the vast improvement in the backline's team play since his arrival.

I'll stipulate that Erpen beats Vanney in speed, individual talent, and ability to track a single attacker. But Vanney beats him in leadership, team play, and not screwing up in some bizarre fashion at least once every single game.

3. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC
    Well I hope one of them belongs to you (as long as you're not the keeper).

Edit: meant as a 'good luck', not a snide comment... it reads kind of funny.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Benny was fouled by Smith. Instead of acting like a **********, he got up. Benny did get Smith's leg some before he got up. It's a no call. I was just glad Benny got that revenge after moments before Reis had me wishing Benny would take the red card and just kick him in the face when Olsen challenged Reis. I didn't like how Olsen made an attempt to not kick Reis and Reis still grabs Olsen and then hits him afterwards. Abby was the Abby we have all come to expect today. I'm glad the good guys won.

5. soccerfamily

soccerfamily New Member

Nov 7, 2005
    I prefer Boswell to Vanney on the back line (and additionally brings more to corner kick scoring potential), and I would give more credit for the improved record to Namoff's return to the line-up instead of Vanney's addition to it. Vanney's record while Namoff was out was 1 - 2 - 1 **** When Namoff came back the record changed to 6 - 0 - 1. Just sayin' that I don't see Vanney as the great salvation and I think the credit should go to Namoff.

6. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Add Khano Smith to the long list of Rev players I truly hate.

7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Just saw the replay of Carroll's assist on CSN -- if there was an award for "assist of the year", that one would win it hands down. A truly remarkable run and beautiful cross. Thankfully the two worst Brazilian football players ever had three goals today. Hope someday we can get some good ones.;)

8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Khano Smith has the ball skills of Frankenstein. What a talentless, whining hack. Just like his pot-bellied coach.

9. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

And this my friends is why the trade was made in the first place. It's not always about individual talent or the most ridiculously overused phrase in sports "he's got great upside", it's about what a player can bring to the TEAM.

Erpen simply wasn't capable of providing what Soehn and this defense needed. Vanney has done this.

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

Again, it's about experience and organizing ability.

Just do me a favor. Next time you watch United play (most preferably live) just watch what Vanney does in terms of off the ball movement (of himself and his back line mates) and organizing that he does all game long. It's exactly what this team needs.

I agree that Boswell and McTavish are the future of this team in central defense, but right now Vanney is the man to lead these players with his experience and vocal leadership. I'm pretty sure Tom Soehn thinks likewise.

Boswell was not benched today. Soeh simply gave McTavish a run out.

Don't be suprised to see Vanney take the night off against RSL on Wednesday.

11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you maybe right. :D

12. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    That was the kind of play we usually see in a DC-NE match. Unfortunately, it's usually NE making it. Good to see it from DC in today's match.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bet Nicol was complaining about Olsen getting tangled up with Smith and bringing him down when Smith was trying to get up. Abby judged it accidental or incidental contact, I presume. That's how I saw it on the replay; Olsen's entanglement was so fast it was, IMO, more likely accidental than intentional. But it's not impossible that it was intentional by Benny. In which case, good job Benny!

EDIT: OK, this has been covered and confirmed. Carry on.

14. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That was a heck of a match. The linesman on the rowdy side blew 3 offside calls. The first was the Gomez header. That goal was legit. The second was a ball if I remember that went to Jaime. The third was Fred's goal. He was offside. But it offset the one that was taken away.

The Carroll run was Cruyffest. That was a fantastic run, followed by a fine cross into space, followed by a terrific head by Emilio. Just showing the cross and header does little justice to the entire play. Brian made started his run in his half of the pitch. Not only is that goal-of-the-week material but should be a candidate for goal-of-the-year. But it has to be the entire run, from beginning to end.

It was a great win today.

15. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember...these guys came from behind to win this thing. That's worth noting.

Carroll's run was a thing of beauty. I guess he wants to prove that he ought to be starting...

Which leads me to this...as I was looking down on the guys sitting on the bench, I was struck that this is a team of starters. When Tommy brings in a sub, he's bringing in a starter. We have ourselves a great coach...

And the looking down comment leads me to this...I was in 409 with my wife, due to the lack of available tickets. Well, I wish all those who had those tickets who didn't show up could have made them available...

Which leads me this this. Where I want to be is with my Barra. But I have this wife who loves the game but doesn't want to do the standing thing. So I'm up in 409. And there I hear the future. Three kids...pre-teens...who are singing along with the supporter groups, just substituting kid-appropriate words for those coming from the other side of the field. But not being with the Barra cuts down my vocalization a lot...until...

This. That ass-hole, Reis, swings an elbow at Olsen, who is trying to make nice (although who knows what Ben was saying to him). Well I just lost it, and thoroughly embarrassed my wife and probably bothered some of those around me with what I was shouting at that mfk. A couple of Revs fans near us sort of shrunk down into their seats...

Which leads me to this...how sweet was Ben's reply, on the following play, with his cross from the right that resulted in a goal? Who says revenge is best served cold. Hot and immediate. Take that Reis. God I hate that guy.

I should be calm and happy after that embarrassment we handed NE, but I'm still steamed at that hack keeper of theirs.

But nice match guys. The only negative for me was that Emilio, having scored that header due to Carroll's great work, ran over to the bench to celebrate rather than immediately seeking him out. I don't think I ever saw Emilio acknowledge Brian for that. If he didn't, I'm more than a bit disappointed in him.

16. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    According to the match report, the goal was scored by Kpene on a feed from Addlery. The NE goal came from a PK. Brad North kicked Mansally in the chest on an attempted clearance inside the box. None of the subs from DC's senior match (Olsen, B. Carroll or Boswell) played in the reserve match.

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    the sky is falling

o wait wrong week :D

18. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Srdan, that new BB banner is beautiful.

Wish I could have been with you guys..and gals. You and the Eagles rocked today.

19. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    don't think we had anything new today, in fact didn't bring that much stuff hehe

20. FC Fred's 1st Fan

FC Fred's 1st Fan New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Anyone go to this game or know someone that went? Or more importantly...did anyone get any photos? Or know where I might be able to find any. Two of my guys (Ronnie Pascale and Kelvin Jones) were loaned to you all for the game. Any feedback on how they did would also be appreciated. Thanks :)

21. Gavinmgraham

Gavinmgraham New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    The Bar(ra Brava)
    Carroll"s run made the game worth watching. Not that the game was bad, but that run is the kind of thing you hope to see. I'm glad I saw it.

22. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have ragged on Vanney as much as anyone else in this forum, but I have been able to see (like Chris says - if you get the chance to watch the team play live) the defense actually defend as a unit and look like they know what they are doing.

Before he arrived, they did ok one match, and not so well the next. They could pull-off an offside trap, and then immediately lose their shape and give up a goal or two, due to blown assignments. That appears to have stabilized since Vanney got here, but is also due to Namoff being back, as well.

23. dcbrilloso

dcbrilloso New Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Mt. Vernon, VA
    We all felt the same way in our section; Fred was offside on the goal but it cancelled out the one that was disallowed (and we sit pretty much right at the 18 so we had a good look). Looking at the highlights confirmed it.
    Also on the highlights, the Heaps goal may or not have gone in, but even if it didnt it hit a DC defender in the shoulder so probably would have been a penalty if disallowed.
    Definitely a fantastic run by Carroll, and a huge win.

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Fred's goal was awsome, Emilio is Hot like FIYA! And thank god moreno has scored again! Without a PK. I am happy we are in a good place right now, with the copa sudamericana match coming up.

25. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman's goal was the result of Fred's yellow. Fred's defense after his card declined drastically. So when Smith made a run, there was confusion as to his marker.