Official LA Galaxy @ DC United PRE & PBP Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Aug 17, 2005.

1. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Official LA Galaxy @ DC United PRE Match Thread

I remember being completely shocked when I first saw that, um, spread. I can't believe that came before the 2002 World Cup. Jayzus! Who signed off on that idea at US Soccer. [maybe the same people who gave Sampson the job full-time for 1998 WC.]

To Saturday's game. LA, as we all know, is a "weird" place by the residents' own admission. But, man, I gotta wonder if the Galaxy is doing a collective Brian Wilson lately...just flaking out beyond what all living in California excuses will allow. For example, on MLS Wrap, the post match interviews from LA's last game with Chicago had me scratching my head. Peter Vagenas ended his post match comments with "mission accomplished." I really wasn't listening, I mean, it's a jock talking, "blah, blah, team, blah blah, 110%, blah blah, working for each other," but then I remembered the Galaxy lost 2-1. So, Peter, what mission was accomplished? To lose yet again on the road? To lose 2-1 to a team you probably outplayed? The Gals had a perfectly good game tying goal disallowed. How about that, Peter? Of course, LA is home to Hollywood and the Gals are owned by an entertainment group and their home announcers (Max Bredos and Alan Hopkins) live in a fantasy world, blowing sunshine up the Gals collective butts, and, as we all know, there are plates of cocaine everywhere in Los Angeles, but at some point reality is reality and losing is not mission accomplished. I think this bunch of Gals are flaky, incoherent on and off the field, disorganized and unmotivated. 3-0 for DC United, out favorite score line. :D

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

I still am unsure who I hate more on that team, Donovan, Jones, or Sampson.

We just need to do our thing this week, two early goals and that team is done. I would expect Simms in for Olsen, other than that I would think the normal lineup. I would rather Epren not start this one, our D has been tight and I don't want to mess it up in a league match. I say bring him in late to protect our lead and give him a start in the Open Cup on the 24th.

During an in-match interview last week, Adu said he was ahead of schedule, I wonder if he might be ready this week, at least as a late sub.

3. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA

Donovan...for the hail mary, ritual, kiss-the-wrist bullsh!t he does before every penalty kick he takes.

Wait...no...Jones...cause he's a worthless pile of poo.

Uggghhh..

GOD I HATE LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA

I think LA has talent on their roster. But I seem to recall reading that LA, not only hasn't won on the road this year but LA has not beaten a team besides Chivas (home OR away) in the last two months. Quite simply, this is a team (LA) that is finding a way to lose games right now. I'd be interested in Knave's thoughts on tactical considerations for LA.

I hate to discount an opponent--I think this is how you set yourself up for an upset. But LA is in such a funk and such a bad space right now that I'm not sure it matters a great deal what they do. I think if we show up sharp and also shut down the midfield (so Donovan doesn't get space and must show for the ball down the field), we win and do so easily. This is one of those matches were our midfield play will be critical. They have talent on the backline and in goal. So we need to overwhelm it with lots of chances and continual pressure. And that starts with our midfield play. If we deny their midfield space, put them under continual pressure, and force their mids to show for the ball in the defensive zone, than we've got this match.

5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Uhh...maybe we should call Sigi and see what he thinks."

6. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

With all due respect to young Adu, I think we have done just fine so far without him. I say keep it the same for now, give the kid more time to ensure a solid heal, and then bring him in later in the next match. But as you probably can tell, I am no pysiotherapist nor coach so....

7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia

Why choose? Hate them all.

8. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA

Well said. We will need Adu down the stretch when we have all the games to play with the Sudamerica and MLS games and then the playoffs. Let's get him back good & healthy, we can wait another week or two if necessary, especially with Moreno coming back and Jamil and Tino coming through like they are.
    It was also good to see Nickell get some time vs Chivas, the more development of our bench the better. He seems to be trying to play a Tino-type game, possessing the ball and using his size. He is raw so I couldn't tell what his future holds in the 15 minutes he had.
    With the heat on Saturday, I think LA may take the same approach to us that we took out there a few weeks ago (pack the middle, don't chase the ball until they come into our half of the field to save energy). We will need to spread the field to break them down and open up space for Tino/Moreno/Gomez to combine. Kovalenko and Gros on the sides will be key, as will our back three and Carroll/Simms to keep the middle tight. We probably will not get a lot of space right outside the box like Chivas gave us, so moving the ball around will create opportunities. I got the feeling from the LA game that they are not as good at spreading the field because they don't have proven firepower in the midfield outside of Cobi Jones, so if we can keep them wide at least on defense then we can wear them down maybe. Speed of possession will be very important.
    I guess we'll see Erpen getting his paces, if he is as smooth as I have read it will be fun to watch.
    The earlier comment about Landon being run down may be right on, too. If he can't push the pace, especially in the second half, then they will be wanting for service to Hercules up top and he will be stranded. I like the Hercules-vs-Boswell matchup, our d-mid will have to shadow Donovan.

The Galaxy's offense has not been getting the job done lately, I think we have the horses to run away with this. If we can get the first goal early, they'll have to abandon the pack-it-in strategy and it will open the game up even more, and I think our fitness will prove decisive as the game wears on.

9. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT

I've actually seen LALA's play quite a few times this year with insomia and Direct Kick. When LD's not on the field they suck. He's probably only going to play a half again this week, due to tonights game.
    Pondo shoots probably 50% of their shots and probably only 5% of them are on target (soft grounders at the keeper). None of their other players comes across as dangerous (except for Jones and LD in those pics).

So, get a goal or two early and shut down LD when he comes in. Let Pondo shoot from the half stripe and bag another 3 points.

10. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

With teenagers they heal so fast that I can imagine him playing, sut as a sub. With Benny I see him sitting one more game. As with Moreno last game Benny sitting has a silver lining: with all the games we are facing it's good when any of the normal starters can get a game off if possible. Like Jaime for this game, Benny for the next game (and Freddy) will be well rested.

BTW it will be great if Sampson rests Donovan again at the start.

11. Bwana

Bwana New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Darnestown, MD

According to Rimando on DC 101 this morning, he said that Freddy still didn't have good lateral motion and he estimated he was 2 weeks away at least. I don't know if that was his own personal estimate (although he does have some experience with hinky knees) or if he was repeating an assessment from the doctors/trainers.

12. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

For those taping the game on Saturday. Here are a few options.

1) For those south of Baltimore the game will be on Comcast live

2) For those in the Baltimore area (like me) the Ravens game is on. However, there is a repeat at 1:30 AM on Comcast.

3) For those of you with the DirectKick package (like me) can simply tape the game off of that feed at 7:30 (DirecTv channel 790 has the game - don't know about DISH or any cable stations). As far as I can tell, this is the only game on the package on Saturday.

13. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United

Any plans for Bayer Leverkusen songs/banners to welcome Herr Landon?

Maybe a Liverpool song or two would be more appropriate, since the 'pool Champion's League game was Donovan's Euro Waterloo.

14. Hunter R

Hunter R New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Me, Myself and I
    Club:
    DC United

Any advice on how much extra time to give myself I am coming up 95 from the South? I hear the Wilson Bridge has been horrid. Dont want to miss minute one of this ass kicking.

15. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso

that was last week, plus you really wouldn't want to take the wilson to rfk, faster just to go up 395

16. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Those with FSC still on at 7:30pm. Regardless of location.

17. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Technically I'm north of Baltimore but I'm also a bit more west than most. What should I do? :)

18. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.

If LD has a nite like he did tonite, he won't be much of a factor.
    He couldnt finish to save his meager soul.
    Mark

19. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

He was bad on two levels. His performance, and the fact that players like Armas continually passed up opportunities to get the ball to players in better positions in favor of dumping it off to Landon.

20. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

True dat, but you have to suffer thru Christian Miles. Personally, I'd rather drive a nail gun thru my left gonad.

21. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]
    Leverkusen Reject!

22. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC

A Western Conference team actually came through for us! C-Rapids not only dominated the Revs, they managed to extract a yellow card out of Clint Dempsey (suspends him for our game with them) and a red card out of Matt Reis (for a rugby tackle on a poor Haitian kid)!

So a very manageable win against the Lil Gals and a stiff encounter against Doug Warren and half his buddies from the Reserve team and we will be in 1st place!

This game against Landon and Co. is huge. They are at the point where they will need to be playing for pride and their coaches job (C-Rapids are playing very well and have a very favorable schedule for catching the Gals). With Jaime back and the team clicking - there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to hang another 3-spot on the board and get 3 points.

Then its on to New England for a huge match. If we pass them at that point, I don't see us giving up first place. Let's round into championship form and go for 18 - 20 wins. With our depth and with our schedule - there is no reason not to put everything on the line and aim for a treble (Supporter's Shield, MLS Cup and Copa Sudamerica) or even a quad (throw in the US Open Cup). Let's prove once and for all that parity in MLS is a myth. Especially since some crappy Bundesliga team is likely to rob us of the services of Piotr Nowak no matter how we do (the rumors are increasing).

Wouldn't it be great if Kevin Payne could lobby Bozo Lalas into a Cue/Hamilton type bet and be forced to walk through Screaming Eagles and Barra Brava, shaking hands while wearing a sandwich board proclaiming that DC United is the only superclub there ever was, DC United is the only superclub that there is and DC United is the only superclub there will ever be? Since Lalas seems to care so much about looking classy - we might as well help him out. And what does Kevin Payne have to lose?

I am already thinking about how I can make the 600 mile trip (complete with 2 month old) for some games in the run-in :cool:.

23. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

And I'll be waiting at this year's Cup Final, watching our boys bag another!

24. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

IMO LD didn't have that special snap he usually brings to Nats games. Maybe he is wearing down: whatever, it's fine with me.

25. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I need to find a place to watch this game around some Galaxy fans. To bad I can't be in DC for it.