Official LA Galaxy @ DC United PRE Match & PBP/Live Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Official LA Galaxy @ DC United PRE Match Thread

Tollbooth was what I had in mind. ********in' Galaxy.

2. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill

Gotcha.
    Little slow today I guess.:eek:

3. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United

I mean I'm ok with the Fredo treatment too, Fredo gets whacked on a boat. Either way. :D

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought that was Tommy Lee :)

5. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have an East German flag that I bought at the Berlin Wall back in 1990.

It's pretty much the same as the current German flag (which is the same as the West German flag) but with a Communist emblem in the middle. Some kind of hammer and anvil or some such nonsense.

Maybe I should bring it to the game.

6. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Damn thats good

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Hmmm.

What will be real interesting to see in this game is:

1) If LA attacks us defensively as Chicago, NY, and Colorado have done recently. The 'ol Chi-town Lockdown. That means that they won't be content for us to control the ball. They definitely have the players to do so. If they do then I think that will send a big message to United that they have to learn how to deal with it if they are to advance in the playoffs.

2) And if we deal with it. We haven't yet done a very good job yet though we are getting better.

8. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United

I gotta go with the "Shoot the ball" idea. So has this really always been the way United's played? I remember in '03 when Ray wsa still coaching I was howling about how many time guys would pass in the box. Shoot, damn you SHOOT!!!!!

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Game summary, with referee info, finally up on MLSnet. (ref info still not on ussoccer-data, the slackers)

D.C. UNITED v LOS ANGELES GALAXY
    RFK MEMORIAL STADIUM, Washington, D.C.
    7:30 p.m. ET (HDNet; KWHY)
    Aug. 26, 2006 (WEEK 22) / MLS Game #142

Two teams who reached the final four in the U.S. Open Cup at midweek renew their rivalry at RFK Stadium, with both looking for victories, though for different reasons. D.C. United, holders of the league's best record for nearly the entirety of the season, haven't won in four games, their longest such stretch of the campaign. For the Los Angeles Galaxy, still in last place in the Western Conference, it's another in a string of near must-win games if they are to keep their ever-present streak alive in the MLS Cup Playoffs.

REFEREE: Mark Geiger. SAR (bench): Steven Taylor; JAR (opposite): Rob Fereday; 4th: Abbey Okulaja
    MLS Career: 20 games; FC/gm: 31.3; Y/gm: 3.9; R: 3; pens: 8
    MLS 2006: 4 games; FC/gm: 25.7 (avg: 29.0); Y/gm: 2.7 (avg: 3.53); R: 0 (MLS: 20); pens: 2 (MLS: 26)
    Games involving United: P4 W2 L1 T1; FC/gm: 32.5; Y/gm: 4.3; R: 0; pens: 5
    Games involving Galaxy: P3 W1 L2 T0; FC/gm: 29.0; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 0; pens: 1

INJURY REPORT:

D.C. UNITED - OUT: DF Devon McTavish (knee surgery); PROBABLE: MF Christian Gomez (popliteus strain); DF Brandon Prideaux (MCL strain)

LOS ANGELES GALAXY - OUT: FW Cornell Glen (L knee sprain); MF Kyle Martino (L hip strain); PROBABLE: DF Ugo Ihemelu (L knee sprain); DF Tyrone Marshall (R hip flexor strain)

SUSPENDED: none
    WARNINGS:
    SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: DC: Alecko Eskandarian
    SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: DC: Bobby Boswell, Brian Carroll, Christian Gomez, Josh Gros, Ben Olsen ... LA: Chris Albright, Herculez Gomez
    INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none

HEAD-TO-HEAD
    ALL-TIME (26 meetings): United 11 wins (1 shootout), 34 goals ... Galaxy 13 wins (0 shootout), 40 goals ... 3 draws
    AT RFK STADIUM: (14 meetings): United 6 wins (0 shootout), 22 goals ...Galaxy 7 wins (0 shootout), 25 goals ... 1 draw

# This is the second of two meetings this season between the long-time MLS powers, their only encounter at RFK Stadium.

# A year ago, the teams split their two meetings, each winning on the other's home ground. The Galaxy have won games in Washington in six of the 10 MLS seasons.

# United's win last year was their first in the series since 2003. They've won just three times in the last 12 meetings between the clubs.

# While the Galaxy hold the upper hand in the league series, United of course have two victories in the MLS Cup Playoffs, both coming in MLS Cup Finals, in 1996 (3-2) and 1999 (2-0).

# Coaches record: Frank Yallop v DC: P7 W4 L2 D1 ... Peter Nowak vs. LA: P5 W1 L2 D2

More at MLSnet.

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

For what it's worth, the team does have 9 goals already from outside the box. You could add up the last three seasons and probably not get 9 goals scored total.

While they haven't been doing it lately, mostly due to better defensive tactics by the opposition, they will take the shot when it avails itself.

I think something that gets lost with some soccer fans is that while watching live at RFK or at home on TV, it appears at times that players have all day to crank up a shot. Sometimes that is the case but most of the time the defense is closing fast or there are players in the way or the goalkeeper is cutting out the angle. Therefore they don't shoot or look for other options.

Believe me, they're not trying to not score.

11. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia

Our Lord in Heaven ..... please make sure the other 3 referees remain sound of mind and body until about 10:00 PM Saturday night. Amen.

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Exactly what I was going to post. If anyone knows Mark Geiger, he's welcome to stay at my house. I'll drive him to the game myself. His safety is all but assured in the hands of DC supporters this weekend.

Thank God there's no reserve league game Sunday for Abbie to screw up.

They usually don't put the refs up until game day. I've yet to see it on the night before. And usually they aren't on at 730 when I'm getting up to watch EPL.

Are we sure Landon wasn't absent in Germany this past summer :)

Thx,

Jay!

13. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United

yeah thats kinda like screaming about not getting shots on goal. I mean its easy to sit in the stands or on your couch drinking beer hollering about not being able to hit the broadside of a barn, but think about sprinting around for 30 or 40 minutes ans having one snap chance, and send it into row z. I know they're not trying to not score, i know its hard, and they see angles and defenders that im not paying attention to cause im watching the ball. Still im just saying knowing how talneted jaime is it kills me watching him dancing on the ball at the top of the box. I am quite literally salivating cause i KNOW he's gonna either find a steaking gros or gomez for a tap in or carve up 3 defenders (a la NE last year). And he sometimes gets shut down, i know it happens, still Im screaming SHOOT THE BALL!!!!!!!! I really like how Erpen has an absolute cannon,and he seems acurate as all get out.

14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Brian Carroll will shoot from range, and he seems to keep the ball down and often on target. He had a screamer just wide left last match - with his "off" foot.

15. mj23drj

mj23drj New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Harrisburg

Is Gomito ready to play on Saturday?? Haven't heard anything yet. Who starts if he isn't able to go? Do we put Ben in at AM and start Simms ?

16. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's a key thing. Most can't transpose from their view of the play to the player's view.

17. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville

I think this is a wonderful opportunity to tell Abbey how much we like him, how much we appreciate his skills and especially his experience.:rolleyes:
    I believe as the 4th official, he gets to just stand there and listen to our expressions of admiration.

asitis
    4/10...5/11

18. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005

I am concerned that the thuggery factor may once again interfere with our beautiful game. We are leading the league in the fair play race, and guess who is dead last? That's right, the GALS. They will hack us up to break up our passing game. I hope the refs are all over them.

19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Goff's article today has these predicted lineups. He's never right :)

D.C. Probable Starters (3-5-2 formation): GK Troy Perkins; Ds Bryan Namoff, Bobby Boswell, Facundo Erpen; MFs Josh Gros, Clyde Simms, Ben Olsen, Brian Carroll, Freddy Adu; Fs Jaime Moreno, Alecko Eskandarian.

L.A. Probable Starters (4-4-2): GK Kevin Hartman; Ds Chris Albright, Ugo Ihemelu, Ante Jazic, Troy Roberts; MFs Nathan Sturgis, Cobi Jones, Peter Vagenas, Santino Quaranta; Fs Landon Donovan, Alan Gordon.

The article is all about LandyCakes and his "success" in Germany. But if you read the opening right, it sounds funny.

[​IMG]

Thx,

Jay!

20. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha......Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha....Ha Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

21. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005

We're on! Let's go boys.

22. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005

Pre-game featured Jaime, Bobby, Landon and Tino.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I haven't read the whole thread, but does anybody know why this isn't on MLSlivetv

24. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005

Gomez and Adu on the bench. Walker on the left wing, Olsen as the AM. No Prideaux on the bench yet.

25. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    HDNet exclusive.