Official Hyundai A-League Thread

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by Andy TAUS, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Champagne Football

Champagne Football New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    LOL, you must be a real jet-setter. You list your location as Croatia, but you were in Melbourne last week for the MVFC game. You get around!

BTW, the new stadium can only have a maximum capacity of 20,000 initially. When Telstra Dome was built, they had a contract with the Victorian Government that no other new stadium with a capacity of over 20k could be built in Melbourne within 10 years of TD opening. TD opened in 2000, the new stadium is due to open in 2008. So hopefully they will be planning in methods of upgrading the capacity sometime after the first two years (if justified).

Sorry, but we're stuck with the 20k capacity for now. :(

2. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    thats stupid i swear...but then its reasonable

3. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    remember the USA who have a larger population than us are building stadiums for 20-30,000.

come on people get down to the games and support your local A-League club!

4. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Very tight comp lads. Melbourne is last yet;

- 2 points of 2nd place
    - if we beat Adelaide we would have been first

:D

Gotta love the salaray cap.

How is it stupid?

If your going to build something in the league of the Telstra Dome they would expect you dont have too many rivals in terms of mega stadiums - more so when you have the greatest stadium in the world next door.

Anywho - I beleive the newly buildt stadium for Melbourne Victory will be 20k with the abilty to be extended by 5-8k if needed.

Im not fussed. Selling out a 20k ground every week is much better than half filling a 50k ground. I went to Hindmarsh last game (loverly ground) - the atmishpere will be amazing.

:)

5. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    it is official, Perth is NO LONGER the bench mark team and the Mariners like their Northern Spirit alias in the NSL are a right royal flop. WOOOAH 5k a game is quite an effort, the AFL/NRL lads will be laughing at us.

plus the attendance figures have fallen SHARPLY, come on support the A-League!!!

6. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Im not worried. In middle of a plethroa of finals, Ashes etc.

The whole idea of the A-League was to thrive in summer where there was little compition for it.

7. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    didn't i say it was reasonable :D

8. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    the cap will soon change, i reckon in season 2 it will be 2.5 mill.

9. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Excuse my ignorance, but does your league have relegation?

I’m guessing not , right?

10. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    we just started it and have 8 teams
    no relegation yet

11. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    How about promotion?

Do you have lower leagues?

12. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    No. (Not yet I spose)

Yes but not in the traditional sence. We have state leagues:

ie. the Victorian Premier League.

Some of the countries biggest clubs from the old domestic soccer compition play in these leagues (such are South Melbourne Hellas) so they get good crowds and are of quite high quailty.

13. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    yeah every state has a premier league

ie
    WA Premier League
    Victorian Premier League
    SA Premier league
    etc etc

there are also territory and regional leagues
    Tasmania, Northern territory & ACT. and Newcastle (Hunter valley) has a league under the Northern NSW federation which the FFA are wanting to disband and merge with Soccer NSW (Football NSW??) so there are exceptions. Plus there are lower divisions under the premier leagues and then it starts again with Premier Amature Leagues and so on. They have promotion and relegation but the A-League will not and SHOULD NOT for a very long time as every time it has been in it has been a failure.