Official hex draw reactions thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Nov 30, 2004.

1. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Home venue predictions:

Guatemala -- This could be anywhere but HDC. There's a little over 500K Guats in the U.S. and 40% of them are in California. The game takes place during the European season, so the east coast is more likely. RFK is out as baseball will be starting that week. Probably in Foxboro as there won't be lines on the field (although they did play an october quallie there in '01)

Prediction: Foxboro

Costa Rica -- The midwest gets a bone. Either KC or Chicago. Both are MLS cities. KC represented well last time around while Chicago did well with the Poland match. Chicago might have a shot if the last game goes to Dallas as the Hunts will be getting a game.

Prediction: KC

T&T -- This would have been the natural RFK game as there's just not much of an opposition to worry about (it ain't Jamaica or Honduras). But with baseball in play, this could be the time to go to the West Coast as Columbus will be needed later.

Prediction: Toolbox

Mexico -- Here's the easiest call in the bunch.

Prediction: Columbus

Panama -- Of the MLS facilities that haven't hosted, Dallas seems like a natural fit. It's new and Chicago is out because of pointyball and you probably want a smaller venue that can provide a significant advantage if you need the points.

Prediction: Dallas

2. A_Bomb

A_Bomb New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Lee's Summit
    I wasn't sure I liked our draw at first, but after I have looked at it some more, it isn't bad. I really like playing T&T first and Panama last in each successive five match days. This means that at the very least we should be able to open each successive five match days and close each successive five match days with at worst a draw. I also like having Panama at home the last match, because if we need points I think we can almost guarantee 3 points here. If we can get 4 points out of the first two matches (win at T&T and draw at Mexico) we could really take control of the hex with two home games next (Guatemala and Costa Rica).

3. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match Day 1 - Wednesday, February 9
    Panama vs. Guatemala 0-0
    Costa Rica vs. Mexico 1-1
    Trinidad & Tobago vs. USA 0-1

Match Day 2 - Saturday or Sunday, March 26-27
    Costa Rica vs. Panama 2-0
    Guatemala vs. Trinidad & Tobago 3-1
    Mexico vs. USA1-0

Match Day 3 - Wednesday, March 30
    Panama vs. Mexico 1-2
    USA vs. Guatemala 2-0
    Trinidad & Tobago vs. Costa Rica 1-1

Match Day 4 - Saturday or Sunday, June 4 or 5
    Trinidad & Tobago vs. Panama 3-2
    Guatemala vs. Mexico 2-2
    USA vs. Costa Rica 2-1

Match Day 5 - Wednesday, June 8
    Panama vs. USA 1-2
    Costa Rica vs. Guatemala 4-2
    Mexico vs. Trinidad & Tobago 3-0

Match Day 6 - Wednesday, August 17
    Guatemala vs. Panama 1-0
    Mexico vs. Costa Rica 2-0
    USA vs. Trinidad & Tobago 4-1

Match Day 7 - Saturday or Sunday, September 3 or 4
    Panama vs. Costa Rica 1-0
    Trinidad & Tobago vs. Guatemala 2-1
    USA vs. Mexico 3-1

Match Day 8 - Wednesday, September 7
    Mexico vs. Panama 4-0
    Guatemala vs. USA 1-1
    Costa Rica vs. Trinidad & Tobago 3-1

Match Day 9 - Saturday or Sunday, October 8-9
    Panama vs. Trinidad & Tobago 1-0
    Mexico vs. Guatemala 2-0
    Costa Rica vs. USA 2-1

Match Day 10 - Wednesday, October 12
    USA vs. Panama 3-0
    Guatemala vs. Costa Rica 2-2
    Trinidad & Tobago vs. Mexico 1-1

1. USA 22 points
    2. Mexico 21 p
    3. Costa Rica 15p
    4.Guatemala 10 p
    5.T&T 8 p
    6. Panama 7 p

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2005: the year we beat Mexico at the Azteca.....oh I said it.

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal should be to qualify by the 10th game.

6. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra

The owners of Qwest field have stated that they would "bring in the grass" if we hosted a WCQ.
    Would they be true to their words, who knows, they also told us that if we voted for that giant stadium that we would land an MLS team. Now we are told (by MLS) that we have less of a chance because of the staduim.

Hell, just give us another friendly against some Asian country...South Korea sounds about right :eek: :(

7. iawt

iawt New Member

Aug 21, 2000
    Landenberg PA
    One positive about opening with two aways and having Mexico be the second one is that Arena is more likely to have the team play aggresively for a win at T&T. My guess is that Mexico is not happy about its first two games. They go from having a cake walk through the last round to playing at Costa Rico and then playing us, a team that really has had their number. Its very realistic that Mexico could come out of the first two games with 0 or 1 points (although I guess its also realistic that we could also come away with just 1 point).

As for where the home games will be played, Arena has typically preferred east coast (or Columbus) venues when the Euro based players have to travel. Given our success at Foxboro and Columbus, you have to think they will each get atleast one game. It will be interesting to see who gets the one game that used to be played at RFK. My guess would be either Foxboro or Columbus gets an additional game or the game is played at the Linc in Philly, FedEx Field in DC or possibily even Birmingham.

8. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I expect Foxboro to get a game, and Panama makes the most sense. I think RFK will be locked out due to stadium issues, but I disagree with Fidlerre's earlier post that had no games on either coast. I could see shutting out either HDC or Foxboro, but not both. Playing games in KC, Den, Chi, Col & Dal is a nice thought, but I don't see it as all that realistic unless the idea is to cater to midwestern tailgaters. Our record is best at Foxboro, I can't see them ignoring that.

I think USSF will put the Guats at Columbus, as they'd look to put it in the most US-friendly place possible after 2 road games that could go against us (in theory).

And if you are putting games on the left coast, the June game is tailor made for it as the Euros are out of season, and for the August game they are either still in training or just getting their season started, so I don't see it as that massive an issue to put the T&T game in LA. Magnifies the jetlag, yes, but that's assuming that teams won't release players until Sunday the 14th. Who knows if that will be the case? In 2004, that was the first weekend of the EPL and Eredivisie, but we don't know that teams won't release players (Boca, Reyna, McHead, Beas) prior to Saturday the 13th. Think about it, the Sept game is an international weekend (no league play, 'cept MLS) so they aren't "missing" them then, and we could already qualify by Oct 12th, meaning the Euro guys might not have to travel, or if so only to Boston. This could be the one game in the 05/06 calendar that US players would be "missing", and I wouldn't totally discount them getting a pass on it. In all reality, it's not like we're asking Barca to lend us Ronaldinho and miss a La Liga game. Few if any of our euro players are such main cogs on their teams that their teams can't bear w/o them for 1 game.

As for Seattle being a non-MLS city, it wants to be an MLS city, and they are trying to get an investor to "promote" the Sounders to MLS. Throwing 30k into a stadium on the heels of another Champions World game might help, who knows.

That said, heavy mystery time as follows:

3. Home vs. Guatemala on March 30, Wednesday - Columbus
    4. Home vs. Costa Rica on June 4-5, Sat-Sun - Seattle
    6. Home vs. Trinidad on August 17, Wednesday - LA
    7. Home vs. Mexico on September 3-4, Sat-Sun - Columbus
    10. Home vs. Panama on October 12, Wednesday - Foxboro

It's not all that $$ friendly, but it gives us the best chance to win. And I'm glag we're getting Mexico in March and not the summer (avg. high of 75).

9. Joe Gannon

Joe Gannon New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    New Market, Md.
    Joe,
    On a side note - UM -v- St. Johns = Sat. 1. I'll be there.

10. Skunk

Skunk New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Zurich
    It's funny how fifaworldcup.com predicts that USA will no doubt choose some place freezing to hold this game. Hello? clue? where is it freezing in early September? Alaska...at night, MAYBE! Anyway, I'm guessing the USSF will be greedy and hold this at Foxboro--which means it will be up to US to buy all those tickets fast. Okay, Labor Day in Massachusetts--plan on it!

Obviously you have never been to Crew Stadium ... ever.

11. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    That OSU.Miami (Oh) game will be a Noon kickoff on ESPN2 or ESPN+

It will have no bearing on the USA.Mexico game seeing as it will be a 7:30pm kickoff.

It'll be a hell of a day for me: My Redhawks upsetting the Buckeyes and the USA putting a pounding on Mexico.

12. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Sounds about right. Although, I would've liked to see the Northwest get one.

13. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

and that won't take root

meaning players slip and slide everywhere

and it that has been done before... and it was a nightmare

not happening

14. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    This is a good point for TV then, with college football in its first full weekend of action, ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 won't put USA-Mexico on.

Fox Sports World for this one perhaps? The only way it could get on the Mouse is if the game was played on Sunday, and I don't think Arena wants to do that either. Maybe another early morning kickoff from Crew Stadium?

15. blueman2

blueman2 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Chicago
    I'd also like to point out that the Latin American population in the Pacific Northwest is possibly one of the smallest in the nation. Could be a big advantage.

16. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    They don't give you bonus points in the WC for that. You still start at 0 points and 0-0 in all your games.

Injuries, suspensions, bad breaks, weather, ... all make this unpredictable. We should easily end up in the top 3 but if we end up third by goal differential with 15 points then I will be happy.

17. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico - Columbus - Must. That will be our Azteca/place of horrors for them.

Portland did well when we played CR there a while back - and CR will probably be strong again next year.

Keep in mind - Dallas' field won't be ready until May. And since it will be a new field, probably isn't a good choice until at least the T&T game.

From what I've seen/heard, I'd like to see:

Guatemala - PNW
    CR - KC
    T&T - HDC/Dallas
    Mexico - Columbus
    Panama - Dallas/HDC

18. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    That's not really the case. Oregon's hispanic population is 8%, Washington state is 7.5%, which is higher than 34 states, including most of the Northeast and Midwest. It's not a coincidence that Portland got 14,000+ for an exhibition between Chivas and Cruz Azul a few years ago.

That being said, Portland is a great home advantage for the National Team. Ask anybody who was there in 1997 if they've seen an atmosphere like that a Nats game before or since. And the fact that PGE Park is an incredibly loud venue (the below-ground bowl keeps the sound in), plus it's 26,000 seats for soccer are likely to be packed, I think it would be a perfect spot.

I'm totally biased of course, but Portland has shown itself to be a great venue for the national teams.

[​IMG]

19. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    a few comments:

1)mexico starts off going to costa rica, then hosting usa...very tough start to the hex for them

2) don't mind starting off going to t&t and mexico all that much, because it'll mean euro guys will form the core of the side, and I think 4 points would represent a huge start towards qualifying..

3) sept 7 in guatemala after having hosted mexico looks to be the critical phase to me...key will be getting 4 points there, then comfortably surviving the two october matches with some kids...

4) do like hosting panama match day 10, just in case a result is needed...panama I'd fully expect to be out of it, and the 6-0 semis should be a barometer of what will happen again...

5) finally, if anyone gets to 17 points, they'll qualify...getting to 15 points would give you 4th at worst

21. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Right :rolleyes:

Completely obvious. Because I stated that nowhere in the US is it below 0 degrees in early September--you can safely deduce that I've never been to Crew Stadium. (Even though I've been there more than a dozen times--including February 2001 when we beat Mexico).

Keep workin' on it Sherlock.

22. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Where's all the conspiracy theorists? Anyone look at T&T's schedule? Gad!

23. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That'd be a great day, to go see both my schools (undergrad and grad) on the same gridiron, then drive over and watch the US pound Mexico!

24. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    I suppose you're hinting at the fact that they'll conceivably be eliminated by matchday 4--having already lost 3 of their home games.

;)

25. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I'd go against putting the Guats anywhere on the west coast. Hell, Canada had their Guat game in VANCOUVER and the Guats were still a significant presence.