Official hex draw reactions thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Nov 30, 2004.

1. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    We'll know our schedule later today. From the 2005 schedule thread, I read that it's supposed to be at 7 am eastern. Also from that thread, here's the match days.

1-February 9
    2-March 26/27
    3-March 30
    4-June 4/5
    5-June 8
    6-August 17
    7-September 3/4
    8-September 7
    9-October 8/9
    10-October 12

Hoping for a repeat of last time, playing Mexico at home in the first game. Facing them, or Costa Rica/Guatemala in the first game in February is definitely to our advantage. On the other hand, it would be nice to start off with two games against Panama and Trinidad & Tobago, to give us a nice head start.

2. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Match Day 1 - Wednesday, February 9
    Panama vs. Guatemala
    Costa Rica vs. Mexico
    Trinidad & Tobago vs. USA

Match Day 2 - Saturday or Sunday, March 26-27
    Costa Rica vs. Panama
    Guatemala vs. Trinidad & Tobago
    Mexico vs. USA

Match Day 3 - Wednesday, March 30
    Panama vs. Mexico
    USA vs. Guatemala
    Trinidad & Tobago vs. Costa Rica

Match Day 4 - Saturday or Sunday, June 4 or 5
    Trinidad & Tobago vs. Panama
    Guatemala vs. Mexico
    USA vs. Costa Rica

Match Day 5 - Wednesday, June 8
    Panama vs. USA
    Costa Rica vs. Guatemala
    Mexico vs. Trinidad & Tobago

Match Day 6 - Wednesday, August 17
    Guatemala vs. Panama
    Mexico vs. Costa Rica
    USA vs. Trinidad & Tobago

Match Day 7 - Saturday or Sunday, September 3 or 4
    Panama vs. Costa Rica
    Trinidad & Tobago vs. Guatemala
    USA vs. Mexico

Match Day 8 - Wednesday, September 7
    Mexico vs. Panama
    Guatemala vs. USA
    Costa Rica vs. Trinidad & Tobago

Match Day 9 - Saturday or Sunday, October 8-9
    Panama vs. Trinidad & Tobago
    Mexico vs. Guatemala
    Costa Rica vs. USA

Match Day 10 - Wednesday, October 12
    USA vs. Panama
    Guatemala vs. Costa Rica
    Trinidad & Tobago vs. Mexico

3. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that a USA home game in MArch against Mexico?

4. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it.

Than again, I would have liked any kind of schedule.

Finishing at least 3rd (really 4th) in this Hex ? Should not be a problem for us.

I could see having it nearly clinched after week 4.... win in T and T, tie in Azteca ....4 pts going into two home games versus Guat and CR. I'm optimistic.

I predict we will have it mathematically clinched by week 8 as T and T and Guat will get few or no away points and will take losses at home.

I'm excited...lets start NOW !

5. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I assumed home teams are listed first.

I think we have Mexico over Labor Day weekend. Sounds like a road trip to Ohio to me.

6. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    If the big three clinch early then this draw is great for Guatemala who have to play them for their last three games, if 2/3 stumble and need to win at the end it sucks.

7. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We get screwed by being the only team to play its first two games away. One positive is that the first away match is against one of the weaker teams, and when the weather is a bit nicer there: mean temp for feb. 9 in port of spain is 77 degrees.

Playing in Mexico on the weekend, and then against Guatemala midweek won't be easy.
    But with Guatemala being on March 30 (in Denver perhaps?) we could get at least one cold factor game.

OTOH, Mexico's early games don't look much easier. Away to Costa Rica, home to the USA (their toughest rival), away to Panama: it's certainly possible for them to come away from those games with just two points.

Another plus is that we get to play Mexico at home near the climax of the MLS season, with the home based crew in better form.

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Definitely don't like starting with 2 on the road, but it's better than 2 at home. At least T&T is one of them, although I would've liked that game at the end when they will already be eliminated.

Guate has the big three last, and that may help them, as was said.

February is the best time weather-wise to be going to T&T.

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this schedule doesn't exactly fit into my plans to travel to a tropical place with the kids during their summer break. :rolleyes:

Also, we don't get any kind of cold weather advantage as we're playing away in the cold months.

10. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Home team first, right?

11. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    With three "double-header" weeks on the schedule (i.e. two games in four days), I expect that Bruce will rely a great deal on our depth. The schedule is set up so that each team plays one leg of the double-header at home and the other away. On the surface, that appears fair, but it's actually much harder on the US. Compared with other Concacaf teams, our home games and road games are generally much further apart.

I think it's also a bit unfortunate that we open with T&T. Although they shouldn't be much of a challenge for us, it's often easier to face a team like that after someone else has knocked them down a few pegs.

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Nut-now you got me confused. Is the first team, the home team?

13. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Let's look at the caribbean/central american rainy season and the waterlogged field factor.

Good news to have T&T in Feb.--yes they may have the most hope, but the field and the weather have the best chance of being non-factors in the game.

June in Panama--I think that's into the rainy season, but not the worst of it.

Sept. in Guatemala--depends where this is played in Guate, but that would have steamy, heavy, waterlogged pitch written all over it.

Costa Rica now plays on fieldturf instead of that tall grass that used to give us trouble. I think that helps us.

At least the weather in March in Mexico shouldn't be a factor.

15. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I'd think the Wed. March 30th match would have to be in Columbus.

Trying to get an atmosphere on a weeknight in cavernous Gillette, for example, would be impossible.

16. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Sorry, I deleted my post because I got the home team first thing screwed up. My bad.

I like this draw even less now knowing that we get to travel our first two games, and two out of our first three games are in the middle of our domestic league's offseason. Arena has a massive January camp in the works, and I wouldn't be surprised if the players get a small break after February 9th and then have another two weeks of Arenacamp.

With so much of our experience and leadership now in Europe, this cycle is going to be interesting. Guys like Landon, DMB, and Bocanegra will get to see what it's like to fly around the world, get in a very short camp, gel with any newcomers to the team, and play intense games in the region's snake pits.

Don't expect any screwing around or experimentation in the February or March games. Arena will go with the tried and true - looking for players who are familiar with each other and who can become a team on very short notice. Unless Reyna and JOB's health both take a drastic turn for the better, I don't expect either one of them to be ready for game one.

Best-case scenario after the first three games is 7 points. I think 9 is wildly unrealistic. Most likely scenario has us with 4-5 points and in the middle of another qualifying dogfight.

17. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah but its not the weather factor in Mexico that is the factor i worry about

18. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    My first thought was "Oh crap, the first two on the road."

But playing at Trinidad is certainly to our advantage. It's an away game that we should win. Yes, away games are tough and no, we didn't look that great at Jamaica or Panama this last round. But Bruce will have a lot of the team for the entire month of January, so they'll be prepared.

I think Mexico has a pretty rough opening schedule. Away to Costa Rica, home to the US, then away to Panama and Guatemala. That's the spot I didn't want, having to play three of the first four away.

19. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Certainly not the worst schedule in the world, is my initial reaction.

20. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I'm thinking the Aug. 17th date vs. T&T has Home Depot Center all over it.

Especially since it's a stand-alone date, which makes travel to the west coast more feasible.

21. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Aug 17 seems like a perfect game for Legion Field. Before college football season, not the east coast but closer than HDC, B'ham is not filled with Trinadadians and we support all things US.

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    we're in trouble if we're not in good position heading into the final 3 matches. @ Guatemala and @ Costa Rica? ********

23. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    We definitely need to win the first two home games, against Guatemala and Costa Rica. Coming into those matches, we could conceivably have one point. That's not out of the realm of possibilities. Imagine then having one point and not beating Guatemala and Costa Rica. We'd set ourselves up for disaster.

24. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    The only match that could, for ethnic and weather reasons, be played in the new FC Dallas stadium would be the final Wed. night Oct. 12th vs. Panama.

Again, midweek we'd have a much better chance packing a smaller venue.

There aren't TOO many Panamanians in North Texas.

And playing in August in Dallas would hurt our team more than T&T because of the chance for miserable heat and/or violent weather.

So, if I were a bettin' man, I'd say...

Guate @ Columbus
    T&T @ L.A.
    Panama @ Dallas
    Costa Rica @ Foxboro
    Mexico @ ?????????

25. Joe Gannon

Joe Gannon New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    New Market, Md.
    Damn. I'm a whiner and this sucks. Mexico during Labor Day? Where?
    Oh well - - let's get the ball rolling.