Official Gregg Berhalter Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Dec 2, 2018.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disagreeing with you. All I'm stating is LAG should have done better with the payroll they have.

gogorath repped this.
  2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Precourt's ownership of Columbus was scandalous. Many observers are certain that he actively sabotaged the team so he could then trigger a clause that allowed him to relocate to a city of his choosing. The league, under pressure, negotiated a deal where the Crew were sold and Precourt relocated.

TrueCrew repped this.
  3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    An interesting dichotomy is taking shape in MLS, though the sample size is a little small. If you want to win the Supporter's Shield, the best way to do it is to have a deep squad. The only way to have a deep squad in MLS, is to have good homegrown players with an integrated USL team. 5 of the last 8 winners can be described that way. Although, teams that have elite DPs can still win it.

To win MLS Cup, you need a veteran team with low cost proven MLS talent supporting highly successful DPs. This was brought home when Aiden Morris started the Final and was the only the 9th "rookie" to start a final and the first since 2016. Of course, "rookie" used to exclusively mean someone who went to college and was drafted (Jordan Morris was the last rookie in 2016, when he was 22 e.g.).

Morris was the youngest ever to start a final. A. Morris is older by a year than Gio Reyna or Yunus Musah. So, he really isn't "young" in the modern game. But it shows you the formula for Cup success. It is a formula (veterans and DPs) that Arena uses at all his stops, that some expansion teams are emulating, and in reality most teams are.

bsky22 repped this.
  4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Since we more or less agree, I'd just like to note that Gio Reyna and Yunus Musah are exceptional even for international soccer.

Nineteen is still a very young soccer player anywhere. I think because Americans tend to focus on an incredibly small subset of elite teams and players, we get this image that there are breakthrough 17 year olds left and right; there aren't.

I'm not a big Aidan Morris fan, but he's still young in the modern game.

Pegasus, deejay and bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    where does Arena fit in? The Revs have (arguably) the worst record of developing young talent of any MLS team.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Good point. We are almost spoiled...

19 is young, I was probably reacting to the over the top analysis that they were playing some kid. Makoko is playing at 16 in the Bundesliga, Busio plays in MLS, Caden Clark at 17 started a playoff game. He is not old, but to go so bonkers over starting a 19 yo is just sort of proving of MLS and many of the long time coaches and pundits view young players.

gogorath repped this.
  7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Bruce came up with the formula or learned it quickly a long time ago. You get some super DPs from abroad (Gil, Bou) then you bring in some cheap American vets to do the dirty work. Look at the moves Arena made, he basically brought in older 20s Americans and big time DPs. The team actually doesn't do that well in the regular season, but was dangerous in the playoffs, simply beaten by a team doing the formula better.

If young players come into these teams they are usually not in the spine. Fullback is a great place to save money and some winger depth. Bradley did basically the same thing to start at LAFC, with Vela and Rossi and then a bunch of vets like Benny, Nguyen, El Monir, Blessing. Atlanta did it with Almiron and Joseph along with Laurentiwitz, Guzan, Parkhurst, Pirez, Zizzo, Nagbe, etc.

The important thing is to get high performing American veterans of the league on sub-TAM contracts. Wasn't there until recently a restriction on using TAM on that type of player? Everyone understands. Some teams are just too cheap to do it all the time. DC United did it for a season, New England only recently did it when Kraft was embarrassed. But other teams just don't really do it all out on the DP end. DPs sometimes miss too. But the key is getting guys like Parkhurst on the cheap or keeping Besler and Zusi on the cheap back a few years ago.

8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    New England did start Turner, Kessler, Jones and Buchanan. All young American or Canadian players. None of them are vets, really, for their position.

They basically went with a homegrownish defense across the board.

It's not an exciting-teenager-sell-for-a-profit group, but it was key to shoring up the team.

And maybe someday they will have someone worth being excited about.

mace repped this.
  9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    You are kind. I am less kind.

gogorath repped this.
  10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should just stop posting about all things related to MLS because clearly you pay zero attention to the league if the whole PSV sabotage, Save The Crew thing, which went on from late 2017 into 2019, slipped by you. You missed that?

For the record, Mensah was here prior to the ownership change. And Zelarayan was a record signing. And Nagbe was brought in as well. Our two most influential players in my mind. Though Zardes, Mensah, and Santos are close.

Point being, that little bit of extra quality can go a long way. It is not inpossible to win with a lower end budget, but it is certainly more difficult. I mean, look who wins the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, & League 1 every year.

The players brought in by the new owners were: Zelarayan, Nagbe, Room, Diaz, Etienne, Francis, Tarbell, Mokhtar, Cadden, Adi, Morris, Berhalter, & Keita ). Though the last 3 were homegrowns. Also Alashe, Boateng, and Nemeth. Maybe a couple minor moves escaped me. I believe all those guys saw PO action save for Mokhtar, Berhalter, Keita, and maybe Nemeth/Adi.

Holdovers: Mensah, Zardes, Santos, Artur, Afful, Valenzuela, Jimenez.

The FO the new owners brought on with Bezbatchenko and Onstad is also outstanding. Porter, like Berhalter, is an excellent coach. But he had more help. Owners willing to spend. And two qualified guys running the FO. Berhalter was also the GM (Sporting Director).

I also think Porter has learned a bit from his Portland exit. I think he's a bit more humble. Less inflexible. More willing to listen to others. Less of a d!ck, basically.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  11. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I knew about the takeover, and props to you guys in Columbus for keeping the team there. I think you all did the league and soccer in general a big favor there and it was good to see the City stand up. So I see a lot of credit to go around for a lot of good things. My only point was, I didn't see anything other than basic competence before on the field. Players changed, but Berhalter had Schelotto and he's gone. Players come and go all the time. Relative to other teams improving all the time as well with personnel maybe it is a much bigger gap than I think. There has been a lot of improvement that I can credit the new guys with on and off field. And in the end, I hope Greg does well. I just am still more or less waiting for an answer to what will happen although the El Salvador game was very good and has made me feel more optimistic lately as well as the European guys producing on the scoreboards like we've not seen for a long time with Americans if ever. Still want to see the whole group together. Hopefully something is possible in March. None of us really know what he will do yet with a full squad available so I should withhold judgement a bit more sometimes.

12. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who has watched the movie "Major League" could see that Precourt was following the Rachel Phelps model of team ownership. He didn't do a very good job of hiding it.

I hope the guy falls flat on his face in Austin. If he was an absentee owner (like the Kroenkes with Arsenal) or just bad at spending money on the team (see James Dolan with the Knicks), it's one thing. He was intentionally trying to damage the team to the point where MLS would be forced to let him do what he wanted. If I were the owner of another team, I would have had a VERY hard time not going off on him for damaging the brand of the league and, by extension, my own franchise.

Elninho repped this.
  13. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Berhalter has added the first of hopefully many trophies into his cabinet - the CONCACAF Nations League. And his team beat Mexico in a final, something only otherwise done by Bob Bradley.

Once the dust settles, I think people will have some critical commentary of Berhalter. But I'm going to enjoy the moment.

14. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Good to see Reyna out there

15. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Wait, what?

16. Mt Stone@

Mt Stone@ Member

Apr 30, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'd be glad to see Greg go, despite the trophy.

adam tash and Master O repped this.
  17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good summation, there was things to be critical of, can discuss it over the next couple of days, but a W against mexico is always a good W, credit is given where it is due

2in10 repped this.
  18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad for Tata he didn't know Ream would start on the left. He did know, he would have had Lainez from the beginning.
    The Ream pick almost cost him the game.
    As soon as he saw Lainez warm-up, I would have put Robinson to counter.
    Dest always had Lainez's number I was very surprised that he was subbed out so early.
    Another head-scratcher, GB hardly played Weah, instead of going with Aaronson. What was that about?
    He was lucky putting Lletget didn't cost him because non-factor again.

The boys gave GB a win, a win that he didn't deserve.

19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is going to hold me over till we play in the GC, for sure.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pulisic and Reyna both look better when they pick the ball up on the halfway line than when they pick it up 25 yards out.

adam tash repped this.
  21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    You're right on the first bit, but the second? Dest was the worst US player on the pitch, completely useless in attack, possession, transition, and defense.

22. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just re-engaged with the USMNT again after several years, frankly, being really depressed about the team and their results (so it was easier to just watch the games and not try to discuss them. As we see a good core of young, but really talented players coming into the USMNT ranks it has been exciting, but also frustrating to see their halting progress over the last two years.

I think there is a real need to develop American coaching, and support the idea that we have to give American coaches a chance to learn the ropes, but I have just seen so many cases when the team has been set up in a way that opens us up to be exploited. I worry that GB hasn’t often shown the ability to set his teams up to avoid obvious weaknesses, and doesn’t often change his tactics in meaningful ways once the plan A is going badly. Today’s result was largely due to some lucky events.

Best case scenario GB grows into the job as his young player pool does, but I can see things getting out of control easily. The fact that we are still relying on a 34 yo LB at this stage in the lead up to the WCQ is a problem, and makes me wonder what we’ve been doing these last couple of years.

I guess I’m not in the band that says let’s toss GB right now, but man… is this the best we can do?

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To give him a break he's a right-back playing left midfield.

I thought Reyna looked great when Dest went off and he moved to the left.

24. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm here for a Dos a Cero summer in number of trophies. Our B team v Mexico B team Gold Cup rematch.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The victory means Berhalter will be the coach thru the 2022 cycle.
    There's an understanding that we're going into the Gold Cup with a "B" team so that result isn't really going to mean anything.

People can talk about player selection, tactics, etc. all they want.
    The bottom line for the USMNT is trophies and WCQication.
    Berhalter has coached in two competitions that mattered.
    The 2019 Gold Cup, for which we made the final, and now the Nations League.

So we enter WCQing, and let's not forget that Berhalter's record against CONCACAF is very good.
    4 losses. Only two in games that actually mattered. The 2019 Gold Cup Final and the Nations League match against Canada (after which we spanked them in the return leg.)

US 3 Mexico 2
    US 1 Honduras 0
    US 4 Jamaica 1
    US 7 T&T 0
    US 6 El Salvador 0
    US 6 Panama 2
    US 4 Cuba 0
    US 4 Canada 1
    Canada 2 US 0
    US 7 Cuba 0
    Mexico 3 US 0
    Mexico 1 US 0 (2019 GC final)