News: Official Fire Jay Berhalter’s Brother Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by sXeWesley, Oct 15, 2019.

1. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude the part of my post you didn't quote is the part where I argued that this was not my position with Gagg; my take is that he's so bad we should fire him now and get an interim while we search for someone better. And given how poor he's been the pool of "someone better" is pretty vast.

2. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I'm aware of this, I was disagreeing with your take from years ago w/regards to that consideration in firing a coach. I apologize for not including the whole post though, I intended to respond to part of your approach to determining whether a guy should be fired, and I just flat out disagreed w/that line of thinking you applied ten years ago. There are always options, our fed is just not remotely interested in researching them, or being even slightly creative in addressing potential openings (one of the reasons the wicky hiring is so odd, as it runs so against that trend). As someone else posted, there hasn't been any creativity, or extensiveness in hiring searches going back 30 years.

um_chili repped this.
  3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Why do you think I'm making an argument that an "Adams should be our RB?" Man, the standards of this place are really slipping...

4. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever happens in Orlando is inconsequential. Berhalter should be fired already, he is damaging the program and we will get humiliated at the World Cup... if we even get there over better teams like Canada.

Oh, when we say fire Berhalter it means the both of them.

LodiSoccerFan and metnostar repped this.
  5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I hear Wenger just turned down the Bayern Munich job.

6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well........ I don't think he did so because he has a secret desire to go shopping in midwinter on the Magnificent Mile....;)

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  7. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julian Lapitague called US! We didn’t even interview him. We hired Gregg...

The only thing standing between us and a competent coach is our own federation.

8. LodiSoccerFan

LodiSoccerFan Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Lodi, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like several posters have already said, I believe that Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Yedlin and other young guys should refuse to play for Behalter. The inbreeding and arrogance of the USSF that thinks they can force a farce of a coach on us - without even considering alternatives - is genuinely corrupt. The fact that we beat Canada in Orlando does NOT mean he has more time - Greg Berhalter should be fired now!

Namdynamo repped this.
  9. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire Jay Berhalter immediately. Tab Ramos confirms what we knew all along; Nepotism, corruption, incompetence and unqualified executives running the soccer side. The coaching "search" was a complete sham; fire Earnie, Jay's brother and everyone who signed off on this and start over.

WSJ: USSF Struggles Deepen

Buethe (USSF spokesperson) said there were no conflicts of interest in having brothers serving in two of the federation’s highest-ranking positions because Jay Berhalter has nothing to do with the technical department.

But Jay Berhalter has played a broader role behind the scenes than his job title suggests, according to Tab Ramos, a prominent former U.S. men’s national team player who left U.S. Soccer in October to become head coach of Major League Soccer’s Houston Dynamo.

Ramos, who coached U.S. Soccer’s Under-20 men’s national team to unprecedented success, said that Jay Berhalter often waded into matters of soccer staffing.

“For anyone who’s worked at U.S. Soccer the last four or five years, it was clear that the technical message was coming from Jay Berhalter,” Ramos said.

At a meeting about three years ago in Chicago, Ramos recalled, he said he wanted to establish a goalkeeping program for the youth national teams, which Ramos oversaw as youth technical director. Berhalter pushed back, he said.

“He said, ‘Why would we need a goalkeeping program more than a forwards program?’” Ramos said. “I was really surprised that someone that doesn’t have the technical knowledge could be involved in the decision-making of technical people.”

Also who is this freaking guy, U.S. Soccer spokesman Neil Buethe and why is the federation wasting money on a spokesperson, when people like Cordeiro, Jay, Earnie and all the execs have nothing but time on their hands to speak for themselves?

Statman, Namdynamo, Burr and 4 others repped this.
  10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This really burns me up. Like I said in a different thread, two players I don't want Berhalter to call up are Sargent and Delgado because he'll wreck both of them.

Just as Sargent is ready to break thru on a strict schedule at club, here comes Brainhalter and plays him vs. meaningless Cuba and next thing you know, after a couple of T/A flites, he's down for the year with a hammy tear and will only be back next year.

This isn't helping anybody.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...osh-sargent-rest-werder-bremens-2019-schedule

LodiSoccerFan repped this.
  11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, only USSF could even think of hiring Jay Berhalter as CEO with the track record (or lack thereof) he has had. There is simply no accountability.

Berhalter's track record at any reputable sports organization would have had him fired a year ago.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He knows things.

13. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point of order: Logical fallacy Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc. Just because B followed A does not mean A caused B.

And: soccer players get hurt playing soccer.

tomásbernal repped this.
  14. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    The idea that the COO and the CEO and the CFO or any other C-folks you can think of don't discuss most all important matters whether they fall within whatever imaginary walls they construct on paper is absurd. Add in that the situation at the federation has been a farce over the last few years, and rewarding current leadership under such circumstances is beyond absurd. I mean, it's nothing more than standard issue corporate bullshit that happens everywhere really, but it sucks when it happens to an organization you really care about and you can't really do much but sit around watching it burn.

TOAzer and sXeWesley repped this.
  15. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the biggest issue has been the complete vacuum of leadership.

I've long been on record asking exactly what Dan Flynn did to continue being the CEO of US Soccer. I know he's had health issues (a heart transplant certainly qualifies as a major issue), but when Sunil was USSF President it seemed like he basically ran things with Flynn being a rubber stamp. While all of this has been going on with Flynn, Berhalter has seized advantage of the leadership vacuum to become the de facto CEO.

This SHOULD be how an organization like US Soccer is organized and run.
    • Board of directors led by a chair. The member organizations vote on board members nominated, and then those board members elect a chair.
    • Board selects the CEO, who is the only employee the board manages and evaluates. The CEO runs all day to day aspects of the organization.
    • The board is responsible for governance matters (final budget approval, ethical issues, asking general and visionary questions of the organization). The board should never be actively managing any part of the organization except the CEO.
    • Commercial and sporting are separate organizations, each reporting to the CEO. The CFO and legal counsel would also report to the CEO.
    • The sporting director then sets the direction and structure of the sporting organization. If the SD wants to have a GM for the men's program and women's program fine. That's the SD's call.
    The issue here, as so many of us have pointed out, is you have the commercial director running the sporting side of the organization. Jay Berhalter doesn't have the big picture understanding of the entire organization. This is why I've advocated for someone like Mark Tatum (deputy NBA commissioner) to be the CEO of US Soccer. You need someone enough vision and big-picture viewpoint to ask the right questions in areas outside of the CEO's expertise, but right now the clear perceptions are 1) the business side of US Soccer runs everything and 2) Jay Berhalter doesn't know what he's doing to even ask the right questions on the sporting side.

TOAzer, Namdynamo, Burr and 2 others repped this.
  16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Namdynamo, sakibomb523, TOAzer and 7 others repped this.
  17. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    feels like a cloud lifting. can you even imagine making a soccer federation a toxic workplace?

Patrick167 and sXeWesley repped this.
  18. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TOAzer repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We did it guyz

Time to wrap up this thread
    [​IMG]

truefan420, Statman and Doogh repped this.
  20. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    So, is this a function of the horrible attendance at Carson and in Houston for the women?

21. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gregg: "Hehe, I'm in danger!"

23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i think gregg will succeed or fail on his own merits but definitely feels like his leash got shorter

Namdynamo, TOAzer, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  24. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is his Brother's thread... or, is there more news?

25. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now fire his idiot brother Egg and I will start supporting the USMNT again.

Master O repped this.