OFFICIAL DC vs KC Post-match thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Lowecifer, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just back from the game so impressions are from beer fogged memory rather than video influenced rationality.

At least three goals game from a single slip between midfield and 20 yards out leaving an attacker 1 v. 1 with Perkins.
    1. Erpen slips allowing Harrington in on Perkins.
    2. Gros slips allowing another cheap goal
    3. Gomez gets stripped near midfield allowing a completely out of form Johnson to score. This one was the killer.
    4. Perkins makes a nice save out of a very dangerous situation but no one is there to clean up the mess and Sealy blasts it home.

There is no way that a breakdown by a solitary defender should lead to 3+ goals. Where was the cover?

On the other hand, Emilio's goal was a mile offside and Hartman had no business letting Gomez's free kick slip through his fingers. I was very proud of the team to have battled back from 0-2 down, but we were fortunate to even be in that position at that point.

I'm getting very negative 2000 season vibes here. DC has shipped 6 goals in two games against one team that is solid, but not very imposing, and another that missed the playoffs last season.

I'm not sure we've got the depth to go to a four man backline but I seriously doubt that we cough up four goals under similar circumstances tonight with an extra defender in the back. Erpen bashers must be in a frenzy as unless he was pulled for injury, his substitution confirmed their criticism of him.

2. Saduhvi

Saduhvi New Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Our defenders rarely score on corners, so some of them could stay back if there's a quick counter attack which are good chances to score

3. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back to Fred'burg. Let me be the first to say I'm tired of having to wear a poncho at games and this rain shit has got to stop. that said...

Erpen? Yeah, good move pulling him at the half. Fred? I'm not as ready as others to say he's anything but another player - Thiago Martins was Brazilian, too. I'm not impressed...yet.

Okay, Gros bashers -- he should have been wearing TWO JERSEYS during the first half: #17 & #5. He covered Erpen's ass more times than I can count. He is solid and we're lucky to have him.

Other than that, my positives are that Emilio has a scoring streak in MLS, but he shouldn't try to pass the ball, only receive.

Carroll didn't use to suck, but now he does. He needs to see a sports psychologist, either that or he needs Nowak to corner him in the locker room and kick him in the jimmy.

Kansas City has a solid team and we should feel lucky to not have been completely worked by them. They are a good team with some great players. And were our guys wearing led boots or what? KC was passing us like we were standing still. That was beat.

My #1 takeaway? It's only the second league game. I'd rather kick ass at the end of the season than now.

Oh, and did Bretos say anything about a "donnybrook" at about the 11th minute? Just curious. ;)

4. RednBlack

RednBlack Member

Jun 28, 1999
    Lake Ridge, VA
    To me formations are just numbers. One team will line up in the 4-4-2 and sit back and defend, rarely sending players forward. Another team will line up in the same formation and all out attack. To me, tactics are how you approach the game regardless of what number is put up on the board before the game starts. Like I said, it's only my opinion.

5. the_phlip

the_phlip New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    NoVA
    Just returned myself...

DEFENSE SUCKED! PERIOD!

Fred looked good, and I noticed that he seemed a little more comfortable when he was in the middle as opposed to wide right. I can see him really making an impact soon.

Gros looked comfortable on the wing and he really took it to KC. Very impressive!

Our attacking trio looked good, but I do agree that it seemed they were trying to "outdo" each other with the cute passes...shoot the damn ball!

Great goal by Gomez...but goals like that are expected!

Anyways, on the elevator ride down, Will Chang voiced tat he was VERY unhappy with the current use of 3 defenders and that we need to make a change and quick! I wonder if his comments will result in a change...He was very unhappy on the elevator and was not scared to let everyone now...Will Chang has really gained some points in my book...

Time to go to bed...

Til next game!

See you all from the club level!!

-rw

6. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    My $0.02,

After reading the last 3 pages of posts, I think we need to address our restarts coming from Troy. In the first half, KC got alot of quick offensive movement that resulted in goals and shots "near" goal. During the entire game, I can't remember Troy trying one quick restart. He always waited until the Wizard's defense was already set to re-start the play.

Other notes:

Bench: Erpen & Carroll.
    Erpen suuuuuuuuucked... he was always on the ground when IT MATTERED!!
    Also Carroll has not had his head in the game for the last month.

Give the following a spot at starting:
    ****Fred--he is finally starting to settle in and looked good tonight
    ****McTavish--He looked good before last year's injury and played descently in both positions during the game...if he scores a goal this season, somebody burn an "F"ing couch outside RFK so this West Virginia Mountaineer knows it's an important accomplishment.
    ****Simms--has played better in D-mid than on the wings
    ****Moose--shows promise, but very spotty at times
    ****Casal---a project with potential, surprised he didn't see the field

"Murr" is the word

7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't usually jump right on big soccer when I get home from a game, but Jesus H, our defense sucks. Cosmo Boy - time to get your hair gelled head out from your ass and start playing some defense. The only way you are going to Europe is as a tourist. Erpen - go back to the Argentina 3rd division. Soehn - I thought a former defender might be able to organize the defense??? Luciano - averaging a goal per game, keep it up, but you'll need to triple that at least if we're ever going to win a game.

8. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    The only bust-up I recall being discussed was at the end of the first half when Conrad was angry about a Jaime elbow. Did you see something earlier? Do tell.

9. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sit Erpen and play Mctavish. Sit Jamie and play Fred. Sit Carroll and play Simms. Too many of our players are too comfortable.
    It'd look like this:

----------------Perkins
    Mctavish------ Boswell -------Namoff
    ?-----------Simms---Benny------Gros
    --------------Gomez
    --------Fred ---------Emilio

I'm at a loss for who plays wide on the right. Any Ideas?

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slowest backline in soccer history,not helped at all by "near post" Perkins and "givaway" Carroll.:(

Shouldn't the home team know how its field plays in a moderate rain?? Does this team have an equipment manager???

It may not just be the backline,this team has looked much slower as a whole than its last three opponents.......

Decent offensive play, but you are not going to win many games 5-4.

11. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC
    The reason why formation matters is the way that it allows teams to plays us. We get no adantage in the midfield because it is too cluttered. On the wings, other teams attack with their outside midfielders and fulbacks. That engages both our outside midfielders and outside defenders. This leaves Bobby in the middle, often alone, marking two center forwards. DC United could play with center halves, drop Carroll, and play a 442. That would give other teams less time with the ball on the wings and give additional support when Bobby get beaten.

12. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I've just blasted the 3 man backline myself, and I'm thrilled that Chang hangs out with the supporters in the parking lot, I do wonder if Chang knows shit from shinola about soccer. Otherwise he's nothing different from an unhappy, raving Steinbrenner who really doesn't know anything about the sport of the team he owns.

13. us_hooligan

us_hooligan New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    If I was playing against us I would have a run a down Erpen's side as well. I haven't always been a big fan of Erpen but he did not seem to have much cover either. Is it time to look at a replacement for him in the back line?
    Any time you run a counter against us we are going to be short on that back line and that is where he needs to be able to stand up the most.

14. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    I don't think this is good news. Chang is an owner, not a coach/manager. He needs to let the coaches coach while he and Victor give them the players they need. Everyone knew we needed to sign a right midfielder in the offseason, but the team (for whatever reason) didn't get it done. (Fred is NOT a right winger, IMO.)

15. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    As others have asked, should DC consider going to a 4-4-2? For the first two games of the MLS season DC has been shaky in the back. Maybe adding one more defender would help close up some of the spaces in the back. If DC were to go with a 4-4-2, maybe John Wilson would be a good option in the back. He played well last year before the injury, and he is athletic and fast. If DC were to go with a 4-4-2 in the next match, here is a line-up to consider:

Namoff---------Erpen-------Boswell-------Wilson

----------------------Olsen------------------------

Fred---------------------------------------------Gros

----------------------Gomez----------------------

------------Emilio------------------Moreno-------------

Tonight Erpen got beaten on the first goal. And the end of last season, and so far this season, he has made more mistakes in the defensive third than is good for a defender to make. However, I thought that other than the first goal, Erpen played reasonably well tonight. He did have a couple of nice long passes, some good tackles and a good long shot. His overall passing seemed to be good. However, the key point is: Other than the first goal. If defenders make mistakes that contribute to goals, then, even if they play well otherwise, their grade usually shouldn't be high; as their one error often contributes to a disappointing result. Soccer is a low scoring game, so one error often means the difference between a good result and a disappointing result. It is important for Erpen to avoid mistakes in the defensive third. I would start him next game, as he has shown some good things. Moreover, if he were to start in a four man back line, there would be more cover for him than there is in a three man back line.

Olsen played well tonight. He showed good ball control and good passing. Olsen is playing so well right now, and he covers a lot of ground; so it would seem that DC would be fine with a four man midfield.

Fred played reasonably well tonight, and he got better as the night went on. He has good skill and is a good passer and trapper of the ball. The ball over the top that he had to Moreno was excellent. Too bad Moreno wasn’t able to settle the ball and shoot it on goal. On the downside, Fred’s crossing wasn’t great, and he is going to have to adjust to the physicality of MLS.

If DC were to go with a 3-5-2 in the next game, I would consider starting this:

--------Namoff----------Boswell---------Wilson-------

-------------------------Carrol (or Simms)--------------------

Fred---------------------Olsen------------------------Gros

-------------------------Gomez----------------------------

-------------------Emilio---------------Moreno-------------

What would be better for DC to start with: A 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2? At this moment, I favor a 4-4-2.

On a different note, during DC’s first game against Chivas, I was uneasy with Clyde Simms at right midfield. But after DC’s first two MLS games, I think Simms is a reasonably good option at right midfield, and one of DC’s better options at right midfield. He played well defensively against Chivas as a right midfielder, and he generally helped maintain possession. His passing against Chivas, though not the kind that would break down a defense, was pretty good. He is also a good athlete who will improve at the position. He can improve on crossing with more concentration.

Also, should Simms start over Carroll at defensive midfield? I wasn't able to formulate much of an impression on Carroll tonight.

16. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    How about Erpen? He seems to do best when he's able to move forward.

17. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Also, he needs to not bash the system while in the elevator with random people after games. That's not exactly productive.

18. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    Based on performance season-to-date, I vote YES.

19. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think that'd work.

20. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he didn't break his hand punching the elevator wall and then blame it on a confrontation with Dodger fans.

21. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are 100% absolutely right .... that is very very bad when an owner opens his trap publicly in front of the customers ...... he needs to zip and keep it behind closed doors. This is troubling .....

22. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    McTavish had a horrible game on the wing but did much better in Erpen's slot.

23. wrightcor

wrightcor New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Maryland
    Well, as long as we are all pissed off here is something to add to our fire, well at least for me. We are in the same company as Toronto. We are the only two teams in MLS without a point.

24. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit Will Chang is the least of our problems. Jamie suddenly looks very old. The league has figured out our defense. And we are leaking goals everywhere. Finally the Coach hasn't a clue what to do to solve it -- at least on the evidence so far. Those are our problems -- not Will Chang talking in "the elevator".

25. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    He's probably also annoyed because the Giants suck even though they spent big bucks on Zito in the offseason. However, this team/system has made a giant sucking sound since the All-Star break last season, so I don't think Chang is having an unfounded temper tantrum. This team doesn't have the personnel for a 3-5-2 because it has no wing players for that system except Gros and the 3 defenders have little pace -- Boswell being the worst of the 3. Put Boswell and Erpen in the center with some cover outside and things might calm down.