Official DC v. NE Pre Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Footer Phooter, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Official Dc_ne Pre Match Thread

It's Wed, so I can start one....

No Flames
    No Trolls

We win....

DC 2
    NE 1

Thank you Luis L Couso for agreeing with me!

(in advance!!!)

2. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I predict no monkeys, no Ramos toys in sexually explicit positions, and most importantly rival fans that can spell and avoid d**k jokes...

DC 3

NE 1

Why?

Because we have to turn this season around at some point don't we?!

3. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Good call, not NY or Cowtown fans...is it possible tha there is intellegent conversation coming our way?

4. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    Last week I made a ridiculously optimistic prediction and we won. I will continue the trend this week.

DC 5 NE 0

--Sergio Salas returns and scores a hat-trick in the 1st 10 minutes
    --In a bit of irony Roy Lassiter has his jersey stolen. The perpetrator sneaks into the matchday squad and scores two goals. The really shocking part is that the thief is Chris Albright.

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Jaime FINALLY gets the monkey off his back. Rimando comes up huge AGAIN. The defense shines once more and the offense dominates run of play.
    DC 2 Revs 0

6. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    In a very close fought match, United finally breaks it's duck on the road, 2-1 good guys..

Photo Footer, that is a pretty lame thread title ya got workin there..

Perhaps a moderator could guss it up a bit?

7. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Since my prediction of us losing last week worked so well, I will try again. NE 3-1 with Twellman getting two and Rusty Pierce scoring on a header.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I predict we'll be the first team to win 3 in a row.:)
    4 in a row. 5 in a row

9. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    The season is on the line.

The money players step up.

DC United-2
    NE Revolution-1

10. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I agree on the score, Jose.

My question to all is: what is the over/under on at what time in the game will His Holiness move into the center forward channel along with his Kiwi sidekick?

11. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Can we get Diceson to tell Ray not to insult Taylor Twellman this week and get him pissed at us?

If so, we have a shot.

If Ray decides to insult him again, he nets a hat trick against us and we lose.

12. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official Dc_ne Pre Match Thread

Good guys 2:1 Revulsion

Twellman scores early to force our collective head out of the rectum and we come from behind again. Jaime and one of our central defenders will tally. Rusty Pierce gets red carded late in the game.

13. DC Forever

DC Forever New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Rockville, MD
    In a startling move, United lines up in a 6-4-0 formation, with Ivan and Lazo as "attacking defenders." Rusty Pierce, confused by having no opposing strikers to hack, takes off after Twellman and breaks his ankle . The beer vendor guy with the cool gizmo for opening cans shows up as a late game sub for Etch and scores the game winner heading in a high cross from Benny while standing on Nelson's shoulders.

1-0 DCU.

14. morenolsen

morenolsen New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Couldn't agree more, but I think it'll be from NelsEn's shoulders. ;)

15. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both teams will be sky-high for this match. DC is looking to break the road winless record, but must score to do so. DC has the momentum coming into the game. If Jaime doesn't suffer another mysterious muscle pull or twinge, he will travel with the team and might very well score.

In my book, DC's defense will offset the home field advantage. The niggling question is CAN WE SCORE???

If we score, we win. If we don't score we lose (even if we draw, it's a loss).

I predict a one-nil score as both defenses play well, but DC finally converts on one of about 15 shots late in the first half or around the 60th minute.

Of course, if Brian Hall is the ref, we lose.

GM

16. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    HAVE WE NO SHAME

Do you SERIOUSLY think we're going to win this game?? Of course, w/Jose L Cuoso we will never lose, and w/sormun we will never win, but EVERYBODY PREDICTING A WIN?? Reality check time!

I mean we may win, we may lose, we may tie (how's that for a prediction!) but for EVERYBODY TO PREDICT A WIN W/THIS TEAM IS A JOKE

My prediction-who the f knows anybody's game, but we'll probably lose, then most probably tie, most improbably win

If we come out w/that 1-forward road lineup again, no question chalk it up as a loss

I say we go out pretending we're down 2-0 and beat the living s out of New England while panicking to get a goal w/2 forwards

Overconfidence won't do it...

17. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Overconfidence won't do it, but Confidence can.
    This is not the same pathetic team we've seen thru out the season. I really think Olsen in the starting lineup has changed the dynamic of the team. It gives our midfield more options.The team speed has changed and with Q2 and Jaime starting to work together, we will score. Villegas is good off the bench. Defense is solid. Rimando? superb, game in game out. It's a new team and a new season. Stand by your boys, they might surprise you. :)
    ps....PLEASE keep Lassiter on the bench.

18. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Well said.

But leave Lassiter off the traveling roster. Let him race go karts at Planet Splash and Play.

19. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

While I agree with you that most of our fellow posters are guilty of overconfidence, I am certainly not one of those guys.. I have been predicting losses most of the season based on the fact that we simply don't have the quality players in the lineup..

It's entirely different right now in that for the first time in eons, we are spoiled for choices in our starting 11..

Having a bench that consists of Villegas, Zambrano and Prideaux is much better than having Lassiter, Alavanja and Alegria...

That makes all the difference in the world..

If Moreno plays and plays well, we SHOULD win, but with our luck this season, we just don't know what will happen..

I'm actually going against the grain of what I normally do and I am predicting a 2-1 victory..

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    EXACTLY!

Very well said.

Very well said.

Me, I tend to believe even if there is very little chance of success. I play until the final whistle blows.

However, the team playing now is a very different team.

With Eddie Pope scoring a goal, a message has been sent to everyone on the team. Methinks the team will respond.

This is no longer a team looking like a deer in front of the headlights.

21. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Just to play devils advocate here for a second, what message is being sent?

Isn't 3 years of losing enough of a message?

With all due respect Jose, Pope's goal was great but it is hardly a message being sent to the rest of the squad..

As for the deer in headlights comment, it's really very simple..

United now has better players available, plain and simple..

It's much easier and better to go to a bench to get a Prideaux, McKinley, Villegas or Zambrano than it is to rely on stiffs like Lassiter and Alavanja..

The dropoff from the top 15 players on this team to the reserves is the single reason why United has sucked this season and the past few seasons..

22. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Budwiser, I do think we will win this game. And beyond that, I SERIOUSLY think we will win this game. We have a starting lineup that is actually without any holes(as long as Moreno is there). Our defense has tightened up and Rimando has been stellar lately. We scored four freaking goals against San Jose, I think we can manage two against New England. Now, if we were playing the Galaxatives, the Clash, or Burn at home, I might think differently, but it IS only the Revulsion we are playing.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little leery...I feel optimistic about how well we'll play, but the Revs have just as much to play for, and they seem to finally be getting their act together. And their problems have been defensive--now they have home field.

Somehow, I'm still going to call it 2-1 for DC, but I have a nagging feeling it's going to be a draw. I hope that's just the pessimist in me...

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Either way, I think it's great that we're playing a game this late in the season THAT MEANS SOMETHING. :D

25. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999
    OK guys, I am tired to be the " rational" around here. I have no choice but to predict another loss for our beloved DCU. Why am I saying that ??
    Because I have two good reasons to say it.
    First and foremost, this DCU team is not a true professional one, to induce someone to believe that they have turned the corner and they will be able to show a good performance every game from now on it is a little bit irrational, to me.
    Secondly, I truely believe the players have played ,last game, having in mind the " pink slip " at the end of the season.They still are thinking about that but, the NE game will be on the road and the oponent will play with the same dedication, we have played last sunday. I do not think,this time, our defense will be able to cross the midline, having Twellman on their back. Without the scorring imput from the defense we are still struggling to score.

Logical conclusion : We are gonna lose!! A tie is the same as a loss, in our situation .