Official DC United vs The Chicago Fire PRE Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Just because we call him Q2 doesn't mean that he can do the work of two men.

Also, I choose to believe that Eliseo is the Spanish form of the name Elvis. So, I choose to call him Elvis.

Thank you very much.

2. Soccachic14

Soccachic14 New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    On dcunited.com it looks like they are going w/ a
    4-4-2 with Villegas and Reyes staying home and Chino and Namoff taking there place. They are still going with Lassiter and Q2 up front. i guess Convey didn't go with the U-20 team cause he's in the lineup. Well i hope we can get a point out of this.

3. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    This is the projected lineup from www.dcunited.com
    D.C. United- Nick Rimando; Bryan Namoff, Ryan Nelsen, Brandon Prideaux, Ivan McKinley; Chino Alegria, Richie Williams, Marco Etcheverry, Bobby Convey; Roy Lassiter, Eliseo Quintanilla.

That scares me to no end...

4. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999

Yes,I am closing my eyes and I can see what is gonna happen in the next game!! That is why my predictions before the game are true after the game.Sorry, I cannot recall any of yours !!...

5. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be afraid. Be very afraid!

Winoman

6. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Is it just me or is this team seriously cursed?

It's bad enough we lose the only players capable of scaring the opposition (Q1 and Moreno), but to pile on the endless string of niggling injuries (Villegas and Reyes out of the match) just makes for a ridiculous string of luck..

These factors more than anything else should tell you how fortunate we were to have a relatively healthy team from 96' to 99' as it has been a disaster health wise since then..

Also of note, does anyone else think the guy who covers United for the website (John Koluder) just doesn't know much about soccer?

At what point last Saturday was United in a 4-4-2 formation as he claimed? Why does he speculate in leaving Eddie Pope out of the starting lineup although he has been in full training so far this week? He just seems a little clueless at times for a guy who is the main contributor of information for the club website...

7. specialk

specialk New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Birdsboro ,Pa.
    I will be happy if we just get a GOOOOOOOOAL !

8. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going with 'Nilla.

We can throw those nilla cookies on the field when he scores.

Goff has this line-up:

Rimando
    Nelson--Prideaux--Pope--McKinley
    Lazy---Richie--Etch--Bobby
    Nilla----Curtis

I'd expect to see Ben come in.
    Chino, Roy, and Namoff are the other options off the bench.--Guh.--

9. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    You--with the pretzels...

10. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nilla Wafers, huh? God, my kid loves those things.
    I'll follow the Nilla trend, though Q2 is much easier to type.

Now, how to go about getting those delicious little cookies into the stadium without having them confiscated, or turning into a big blue muppet and insanely devouring them, while most of the crumbs fall wastefully to the ground.....

11. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eliseo is the Spanish form of Elisha, from the book of Kings in la Biblia.

12. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Chicago 7 (Wolff 2, Beasley 2, Razov 2, Kovalenko)
    United 0

with revenge on their minds for giving up the only road point to DC, DC unable to score on the road, and Reyes, Villegas, Q1, Moreno all out, throw in the lineup Lazy and Ivan the Really Terrible can we just give up now? Good thing this one isn't on TV!

I had hope, but Reyes out just made me lose it.

13. slacker

slacker Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU's one source of hope might be that Chicago is also playing somewhat depleted with Nowak and (obviously) Armas out from their midfield.

We have to hope that we can frustrate their midfield, and deny Razov and Wolff decent service.

Though with Beasley, Wolff, Razov, and Kovalenko, plus Stoichkov off the bench, they still look to be a lot more dangerous offensively than United.

BTW, I also have to question the projected lineup from DCUnited.com - would Hudson really be starting Namoff at right back if he's the player to be moved for Gascoinge - and against Beasley on their left wing? And Hudson is ready to try anyone but Lassieter up front. Goff's projection is more likely - and hopefully Pope really is ready to come back to the starting lineup.

14. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    DC United gets a road goal!

Chicago - 4 (Razov 2, Beasley 2)
    DC - 1 (own - Curtain)

RS

15. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Fire 4:3 United

(Wolff 2)
    (Beasley)
    (Marsch)
    (Convey 3)

16. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    As I stated earlier, I questioned who this John Koluder (dcunited.com columnist) was and thought some of his thoughts were very bizarre and some of his information just isn't right..

I would rather think that Prideaux is more suited to play on the right side of defense (as he has the past two matches) rather than Nelsen.. Nelsen and Pope work VERY well together in tandem (much better than Pope/Prideaux IMHO) and beginning about this time last season they started playing together and putting some very nice performances in....

I can actually live with that midfield.. Lazo on the right side is probably his best position and considering he will be marking Beasley, and the small dimensions of the field, this will be a tough test for our boys...

I still say 4-1 for the Fire.. I think they have 1st place in their sites after kicking some Metrotard ass on Saturday..

17. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    The reason Pope might be left off is because of the astroturf? maybe ben wont see any action because of this as well. Apparently it's not a good surface for people trying to come back from injuries....something to chew on

18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pope is left out because Hudson wants a foward in reserve on the bench to put in during the second half.

19. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    oh brother not again, that did hve to boost Curtis's confidence knowing he was behind Lassiter and our center back on the forward depth chart.

20. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this a reason for Chicago having so much injury trouble this year? Armas was injured at RFK, so he doesn't count.

21. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Should I have faith or not?

DC:1
    Fire:2

22. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Well they have had a few weird injuries up ther ein Chicago, I know currently Sergi Daniv has a bad turf toe, a couple of MCL's Evan Whitfield comes to mind and whatever else you want to throw in. I know if I were the coach of DC United I would be wary of testing Benny's ankle on that surface this early, and with Pope's chronic injury problems and reported bad knee, would be wary of playing him as well.

23. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Back in the mid-80s Mike Downey, sports writer for the la times, had a hilarious column about astroturf and how it was the most dangerous thing known to man and that if NATO wanted to save money, it would simply put astroturf down and "...10 minutes after an attack, the entire Red Army would be on the ground, clutching their knees."

24. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Maybe we should put Curtis or Lassiter at right back.

The experiment to change A.J. Wood from a forward to a defender was...oh...never mind.

25. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    put 'em right back alright, right back on a bus outta town!