Official DC United vs Rochester Rhinos PRE Match Thread :: July 11 (TODAY!) @ 7:30pm

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he still at your place? Did he miss the bus?

2. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
  3. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official DC United vs Rochester Rhinos PRE Match Thread :: July 11 (TODAY!) @ 7:3

Well that's gotta be worth....say.....175K right there!

:eek:

4. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Re: Official DC United vs Rochester Rhinos PRE Match Thread :: July 11 (TODAY!) @ 7:3

We'll see how long he lasts in the heat and humidity down here.

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

I'm telling you guys you are giving up on Guppy way too soon.

DC has a ton of games coming up over the next few months and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 30-45 minutes in the vast majority of games and competitions. He's a very useful player because he can come on in the second half of an MLS or Copa Sudamerica game and help to kill it off if DC is winning or if United is losing and the game has become more one dimensional his crossing can be fully utilized. He can also start and go 45-60 in an Open Cup game and really break down some weaker opponents with his crossing ability.

He's going to be very, very useful for DC over the next few months.

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Well I guess David got a little confused. He must have thought that DC was sending him to play for Rochester, which of course he rejected. Hey Stokes, you guys are only going to scrimmage them, and I don't think they were going to ask for a loan either.

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    David Stokes got injured towards the end of the Kansas City game (last ten minutes or so).

DC United had no substitutes and he elected to stay in the game despite not being able to run.

From my angle it seemed like he was trying to play the target forward role (Nana was covering for him on defense for a while!).

The scary thing is- DC United has very little defensive depth, let's hope nobody gets injured today.

8. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Re: Roster for match vs. Rochester (7/11) in Cary, NC

G - Perkins; RB - Van Sicklin; CB - Arena; LB - Kuykendall; RM - Thompson; DM - Carroll; CM - Simms; LM - Guppy; Adu - AM RF - Kuffour; LF- Walker

Leaves a bench of
    Matt Nickell
    Andrew Weber

I put Sick in for Stokes.

I hope that we have a few guest players - hopefully not Allen Handy or Tim Sahayak. I wouldn't mind Brilliant and Quill again. Even Traegger if nothing else.

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

why are we playing this game? It makes no sense to me at all.

10. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

no idea - maybe it is part of the deal for getting John Wilson :D

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because Adu is on the team. I have said this before and i will say it again .......... with it becoming apparent that MLS is going to start getting berths into these other tournaments (ie Sudamericana and maybe one day ............. dare i say it ......... no, i won't just yet ..........), we can't schedule these friendlies so early as to disrupt the schedule. This game sucks, but the Colorado exhibition game in the middle of the season is even worse for us.

12. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United

Well, we did, in a roundabout way, get John Wilson because of this game. I'd say it's worth it.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  14. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Agreed.

Look, we probably wouldn't have gotten Wilson if it wasn't for this game.

From what I understand, the real purpose of this match is to guage interest for a USL franchise in the area in NC where it's being played.

Assuming noone gets hurt, this is a great match for DC. It allows guys like Perkins and Walker and Kuffour to hone their skills because they get spot playing time depending on injuries and the like during the season. Adu can use all the gametime minutes he can get, and it's a good way for Carroll to maybe break out of this slump and for Simms to get some more minutes with United.

As for the rest of the guys, it's great for the reserves to be playing against much stiffer competition than the Columbus Crew reserve team, and it's a good test for what will probably be a lot of players used in the Open Cup against a team of similar quality to those DC will face in the first couple rounds of that tournament.

It also gives Guppy a chance to get closer to match fit, which is very good news.

15. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man, even for Tony, this is fast.

16. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA

exactly. It's basically an extra reserve match.