Official DC United vs New England Revolution PRE Match Thread :: Conference Final

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Re: Official DC United vs --------------- :: Conference Finals :: [NE vs CB -R-]

What's the deal with this anyway? All regular season evening matches started at 7:30, correct?

Looks like it's going to be television for me, which is a shame.

2. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Official DC United vs --------------- :: Conference Finals :: [NE vs CB -R-]

what what whaaaaaaaaaat? :(

3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Re: Official DC United vs --------------- PRE Match Thread :: [NE vs CB -R-]

I've had 'rhoids. The last thing you want to do is sit down. Andrulis didn't screw the pooch, he screwed the whole kennel.

4. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

The more I think of Nelly being out, the more I think this game could be very, very dangerous :(

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

No, I really don't know. How do they award it? Top of the table at the end of the regular season or winner of the final?

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At the end of the regular season, no one "wins" the conference.
    One team wins the Supporter's shield (this year, unbelievably, Cumblowus);
    The rest of the teams are merely "seeded"
    Columbus and KC #1
    DC and LA #2
    Colorado and NJ #3
    Revs and Earthquakes #4

The East winner will be eaither DC or, unlikely, NE
    The West winner will be KC or LA (I'm putting my money on KC)

The League Champion will be DC of course :)

7. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am psyched as sh!t that we're hosting this game. Can't hardly wait for it. I have to say it kind of shocks me that we're facing the Revs. I remember beating their asses last time out and thinking that was the end of their season (recalling the "Revs, enjoy your early vacation" banner from the Barra). I would never have predicted that we'd be rematched against them in the conference final. When you think about it, the Revs have probably been the best team in the east in the past three years based solely on their post-season performances--can any other eastern team match three conference finals appearances and one MLS Cup since 02?

And while I think this is an advantageous matchup for us, it's mostly because it's a home game, not because I think the Revs will be easy meat. They've played us close all four games--including pulling out a late tie in RFK that was a real downer. And I remember them looking sharp and dangerous in their last outing against us--at least for the first ten minutes or so, when they seemed to give up. We're definitely the better team and should win, but they're on a little run of their own and should not be taken lightly.

But as with the Metros I have faith that Nowak will not let overconfidence be a problem. I think it's going to be a hard-fought 90min but I don't see us getting surprised like Cbus did (that has to be the worst playoff performance by a supporters' shield winner ever). I suspect we'll pinch an early goal, Revs answer back shortly after halftime, and we then get two more to finish it off and punch our ticket to LA. Hope the atmosphere at RFK can rival last week's--it might be harder b/c there is not as much time to create buzz.

8. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Top of the Conference Table at the end of the season merely gets you the #1 seed in your conference playoffs (Top team overall gets the Supporters' Shield). The conference trophy goes to the Playoff Conference Champion.

It's similar to the Wales, Campell Trophies in hockey (East and West Champs in the Playoffs).

Don't ask about when Three Conferences roamed the country.

9. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Thanks for clearing it up.

After the regular season, a bunch of Crew fans had "Supporters Shield and Eastern Conference Winners" in their sigs, so I was confused on where the title is awarded.

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That one was obviously in their mind :)

11. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Hell, why didn't they just name themselves League Champions if they were going by the regular season table?

Silly yellow bastards.

12. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC

I look for the boost from the home crowd, but DC's last game at home against NE was a 1-0 win that was pretty tightly contested. Nelsen and Kovalenko both played in that game and they aren't available on 11-6. NE used the same line up against Columbus last weekend that they used in the 1-0 game in DC, with the sole exception being Kamler starting in the DC game and Marshall Leonard in the Columbus game. They have more roster continuity of late.

Of course, if Avery John or Marshall Leonard dish up those hospital back passes to Reis, DC should be able to produce a goal or two. And if Rusty Pierce or Jay Heaps play like thugs, they could get sent packing. New England has some playes that can produce goals (Dempsey, Noonan, Ralston and Twellman) so DC will have its hands full with its second choice center back. It will be up to the midfield to provide defensive cover.

Based on the box scores, it looks like the visiting teams have a short bench. Not sure that makes much difference but it will llimit Nichols' tactica options.

14. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC

You and me both. All this talk about how we're going to kick their butts seems very premature. We didn't exactly blow them out this year, and let them come back for a draw. Both Petke and EZ scare the hell out of me when they're in the middle. One dumb play with Noonon or Twellman or Pierce running on goal, and we could be toast.

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

I think that the scariest part of this game is how well Reis has done. The Crew had an MLS record 20 penalty attempts in a row scored, and he stoned them on two.

Say what you want about Sanneh's crap shot, but if Reis had just been guessing and went the wrong way, it still would have rolled in.

16. FCGalaxy1996

FCGalaxy1996 New Member

Oct 19, 2004
    LA

IT all wont matter after you guys do(most likely)/if defeat the thing that they call a team (new england) you will venture 2 our house here in LA where RUIZ, KIROVSKI , & Jones among others will lay the smack down on these DC pretenders.

17. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Now I'm scared. We'd better lose to NE so we don't have to face LA.

18. FCGalaxy1996

FCGalaxy1996 New Member

Oct 19, 2004
    LA

U know we toasted JOE cannon (MVP Candidate) on our home turf and If U saw the game it could have been worst. Nick Rimando wont be able to contain us at home in front of a sell out crowd with our riot squad. You better pray given that you make it to the championship that were not there.

19. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass

You wouldn't have to face LA. It'll be Wizards.

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

:confused: Hello??

21. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

22. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Too much LA sunshine has bleached his brain Chico, not to worry! Even if it is LA that we face for DA CUP it won't be hard to take these twits off their game. Ruiz is nothing but a diver and can easily be stopped. And as for your wise cracks about Rimando little Galaxy man, you obviosly haven't been watching him lately. Don't know why I even bother wasting my time trying to defend out team against LA, you guys won't make it past KC.

23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

I for one am not too worried about Chain Smokin' Jones. After all, what incentive does he have to try if he doesn't have Eddie's leg to hump.

[Cue picture...]

24. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

25. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When did this turn into the MLS Cup Pre-Match Thread?