Official DC United vs New England Revolution POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    You're making my point though. I was saying that there was too much pressure on our wingers (i.e. Bobby) to play D. If I had to pick an out and out left back I would choose Ivanov over Convey. Bobby's involvement in the offense was minimal b/c he was too busy playing D. Yes, though out the game DC would move b/w a 3 and 4 man back line, but it was always Bobby who was focusing on D. It actually happened several times on the right when Quintanilla made some fantastic defensive plays in the box. I'd rather see those guys pushed up more. They were a little cautious during the match when they had the ball at their feet b/c they didn't want to upset DC's defensive shape. The result was an Etcheverry-esque hold the ball style of play.

2. TheBrow

TheBrow New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    Triangle Hat Land
    just weak

A few observations from a frustrated long-time fan (but first time poster so go easy on me) having had the rare opportunity to see a DC game up here.

A pretty half-hearted battle between two depleted teams. We looked like a team who was playing together for the first time. Which may be understandable given injuries, etc. but it was as though there was a strategy in practice and we forgot it when we got on the pitch.

The lack of urgency was also concerning - being cautious on the road is one thing - but the long desperation balls out of the back that NE consistently won, and our now-normal "get the ball up near the box, kick it around, and then either lose it or send it back to our defenders" was infuriating. While El Pube (Q2) made some good defensive plays, as time went on his aggressiveness faded.

A few bright spots - Warren was incredible, particularly since he was clearly hurt. Martins also showed some good signs, having the courage to take on defenders (my one recent complaint with Olsen). Namoff continues to find his place.

A few dim spots - Prideaux was thoroughly embarassed by Ralston. Turned him like a corkscrew. Convey was lost in outer space. And the lack of meaningful subs - that approach may have worked for Arena - but if you know you weaken toward the end, then sub!

In the end, like many of these games, it was intestinal fortitude that lost it for us.

3. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Brow I moved your thread into the ongoing post game discussion..

4. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    well we play a flat, dull game, look like we have a real shot at the win and the killer instinct stays in our back pocket.

this was a match we could have won. i like the fact that this team is doing things to put itself in position to win, it has had its chances in virtually every game of late. but it isn't gonna do us much good if we don't take the next step and win these type of matches.

we need to raise our level a notch and when a team is on its heels, we gotta rip its throat out. right now we aren't quite there yet.

real nice game out of warren and i thought petke was an absolute rock, he had some textbook plays. prideaux had some problems for sure, but i also remember some good defensive plays by him, especially a real sweet clearance early in the game. ralston is a good player, he's gonna beat you sometimes. it was certainly a legitimate foul, he didn't hit him that hard but had his hand on his hip, no way that doesn't get called.

i would have thought ray might have subbed hristo in a bit earlier and i think i might have brought chino on. we needed some new legs in the midfield at about 60'. we were very leg-weary (as was NE) and didn't have some of our recent urgency.

i thought namoff did a better job connecting with teammates. i thought dema steady but would have liked to have seen him pop up in their third a bit more.

i thought we had some problems in the first half with earnie, bobby and dema pushed back and too far from marco. this really made it hard to generate too much up the middle.

i thought martins continued to show improvment. i thought cerritos had his worst game to date.

i saw cheyo, earnie, martins and marco all take one-time shots at the goal, none were too dangerous but i did like that, there wasn't alot of that old square pass across the top of the area crap. that was a good sign.

bottomline is time for improvement is over, the games all matter and matter a hell of alot. we have to win, its win or go home time.

5. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Re: just weak

Sorry, I have not seen the game just yet !! But, I would say this. Every time we got un "undeserved" penalty kick we grow angry the soccer Gods !! Before you know it we are gonna pay it back !! Remember the Stewart penalty in Kansas's game ?? That was faked too, IMHO. We have paid for that as well !! So, in the future, when we get an undeserved penalty, remember we will pay for it, sooner or later !! The soccer Gods are fair ones !!!

6. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    believe

columbus also have a -5 goal diff we have a +3. about olsen i thought he would be back in 3 weeks. if that were true then spuculating we made it far in the playoffs we could have him back for mlscup 03.
    anything could happen from then on.

7. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    In the previous match with the Revs Marco's flop in the corner of the box after a nudge of his foot by Knate that set up the PK for tie and eventual 4-2 win is a good case in point. With his propensity to flop I'm amazed that he had the b---s to make such a stink with the Ref after the PK call last night. I wonder if his actions will get him a suspension. For sure he will get fined.

George

8. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    what about in the beggining of the season when kreis brought down quaranta in the box the ref did not say *#*#*#*# where were the soccer gods then

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: believe

I don't know where you get 3 weeks for Olsen.

He's pretty much out for the season.

http://dcunited.com/index.cfm?section=main&cont_id=207075

10. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: believe

Which was three weeks ago. If Olsen feels he can help the team, then he will be back as soon as possible. I expect that he will try everything in his power to be back for the playoffs.

11. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    oh well never mind then

12. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I hate overtime, but that being said, it's part of the MLS game and is the same for everyone. Is there any team with a worse OT record than us?

13. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    Just out of curiousity, who wore the captain's armband?

Cherno

14. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earnie, which seems to be what usually happens when Ryan's not around.

15. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Re: Re: Re: believe

Actually, it was like 2 weeks ago, which means if we make it to the Cup Final, Olsen may be ready to go. (On Saturday's evidence, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.)

As for the last two weeks of the season, let's look at the bright side: at least the OT loss on Saturday keeps things interesting for us. What would we all be doing with ourselves if not for the gnashing of teeth and second guessing. Really, the boys did some of us a big favor on Saturday. As if we have lives to get back to or something.

16. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    yeah, every time that I'm like "Sormun is stupid", something like this happens. For the love of God ONE GOAL? We couldn't score ONE? Against NE? Was so sure that we were there, ya know? Getting beat is no fun, getting shut out blows. And Bob-o better do somehing dammnit. Have spent countless time posting defense of him here instead of doing stuff at work, and I know that scoring goals isn't all there is to the game, but come on ! Produce, Mr. "Premiere League wanted me so bad"! Otherwise I am looking at becoming a bitter crumudgeon, and will call myself "Sormun squared" No shtick intended, your just mr. antioptimistic.

17. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    I hope that Ben will not try to get back for one last game this (post)season. As much as I would like to see him out there, Ben has a history of trying to come back from injury too fast and making things worse for himself. Someone strap Ben to his bed!

PK, no PK; OT, no OT--DC didn't score, didn't put the game away. We lost. End of story. If we can't do better than this, then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

18. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, but we can still bemoan the inherant unfairness of OT, right?

19. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm probably going to be sorry I asked

In what way is OT inherently unfair?

20. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Well, if all you want to do is boost your post count :) sure. But the fact remains that if, in any of those games, we had managed to put together anything approaching a seriously threatening offense, we would have won them with no OT. OT isn't at fault for our finishing regulation without having scored (or scored more often). THat's *our* fault.

Mr Bud, could you stand back a little bit? When the lightning from the outraged Soccer Gods strikes you, I don't want to get fried by the spillover.

21. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I already wrote why OT is unfair, but just for fun here its is again:

Here's my number one gripe with OT: it only rewards the team that plays better in OT, not in regulation. If two teams play evenly (or unevenly, it doesn't matter) and play to a tie, then let it be a tie. Neither team is punished, both walk away with a point. The only time OT should ever be used is in tournament play. I have no problem with any of the playoff games going to OT. Those are games that need a winner. Regular season games don't warrant that same priority.

22. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Do you have a gripe with playoffs and the MLS Cup deciding the champion?

Watch this - "Here's my number one gripe with the post season: it only rewards the team that plays better in the playoffs, not in the regular season."

If you want to be a "purist," why not go all the way? Take it to an extreme, and the season is already over for everyone but San Jose. Might as well give the Rothenburg Trophy to them.

23. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well then by your reasoning, any sport is unfair because it rewards the team that plays it better while it's going on.

I don't think OT for regular games is necessary or even desirable. In fact, I hate it. But I wouldn't say that it's unfair. It's simply stupid.

24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Which is more significant: a regular season game or a playoff game?

OT's purpose is to have someone win. That's all it's there for. If no one wins, then its effectiveness has been compromised.