Official DC United vs New England Revolution POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 11, 2003.

1. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    At least the Mutts didn't win.

2. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I really want to belive that we'll do that. Stokes needs some damn playing time if he's ever going to help our team. Same with Carroll.

3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been this pissed at a result in a long, long time.

Sormun was right.

WRONG!!! What matters at this point is GETTING INTO THE GD PLAYOFFS!!!!

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    :(

But the celebration will begin next week at RFK.

5. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Re: I haven't been this pissed at a result in a long, long time.

We ALREADY HAVE gotten into the playoffs, barring an absolute collapse

6. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm worried

United are back in "Can't score in a $2 whorehouse" mode, one of our most consistent defenders this year makes a completely bonehead move in the box and our friggin coaching staff can't figure out that they have more than one sub to make.

I'd like to be optimistic here, but optimism only leads to dissappointment.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

7. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I'll throw the argument out there that we weren't in a 3-5-2 today.. I know the pre-game lineup said it was, but I clearly saw Convey laying back for most of the first half playing left back..

If it was a 3-5-2, what was the lineup then because I clearly saw Earnie playing the left flank for most of the match while Q2 was on the right side.. That to me said 4-4-2 with Bobby pushing up every once in a while..

It's all drivel anyway.. Most teams switch in and out of formations during matches anyway.. Today was no different for United...

8. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: I haven't been this pissed at a result in a long, long time.

Wrong again.

Who's to say we're not gonna screw it up again the way we screwed it up tonight?

9. futbolrey

futbolrey New Member

Dec 20, 2002
    Burke, Va
    I know it's a little bit to early but I'm thinking about next season....

I want Hudson fired as soon as the season ends even if we clinich the playoffs. Seriously, dc united continues to play bad under the direction of Hudson and so far I give Hudson a big FAT "F" for developing our youth players.

10. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Re: Re: Re: I haven't been this pissed at a result in a long, long time.

This wasn't an absolute collapse.

It was a penalty. In overtime.

It sucks, but it doesn't suck THAT much.

We'll get a point.

11. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I think I'm with Barb on this one...

I don't feel good about these last two matches..

Too many bad things have happened to this team in the last few weeks..

Rimando out

Olsen out

Losing in OT to the Galaxy and Revs

Hitting a bad scoring slump at the wrong time of the season..

I know the Crew have been absolutely dreadful the past month, but we gave them their only lifeline today and I wouldn't be suprised if we choked like dogs...

Yes, I'm that pissed off right now.........

12. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    So let's see if I get this straight..

The goal heading into the season was not to qualify for the playoffs or improve on their on-field performance from last season (which they already have done), it was to develop youth..

I wish I would have known that from the git-go..

You're right, fire Hudson, Trask and Zack.. Throw in Kasper while your at it as well...

13. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    :(

well... I guess in our last two home games, we'll see whether we truely are a big club that rises on big occasions

i do not like going into these last two games needing to get a point against the one team that is fighting to over take us.

I bet Ryan feels absolutely awful. I just hope he doesn't get hurt while in Iran.

14. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    We'll see that in the playoffs. I GUARANTEE we will make the playoffs

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm holding you to this. Boy am I glad I went to see "Defending the Caveman" and dinner at Marrakesh instead of watching what seems like a steaming fetid pile of crap.

Sachin

16. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Re: Re: I haven't been this pissed at a result in a long, long time.

If any team can *#*#*#*# it up, its this one.

17. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: I haven't been this pissed at a result in a long, long time.

agreed.
    I really dont think we can pull the win out of the next two matches. Unless we tie one. We really needed this win.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    After watching the match I drank a 1/4 bottle of scotch and then made the rounds at four bars. And I'm still not drunk enough to deal with how much that sucked.

19. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Lighten up people.

DC United played the last two games on the road against teams in the hunt for a playoff spot.

DC United earned a valuable point against a team directly in the hunt for a playoff spot in Columbus.

DC United played a decent game yesterday and loss on a penalty kick in overtime.

DC United will be playing the next two games at RFK, in front of their fans, needing only 1 point out of the next two games...

20. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    what a horrible mess of a game last night.

At least the AOL BigSoccer chat was fun. Especially as I got deeper into my bottle of Gouden Carolus/Carolus D'Or

21. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: I haven't been this pissed at a result in a long, long time.

Perhaps. I suspect you're right.

However, we don't have it yet, do we?

22. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Several reactions (other than, "it looks like we're facing Chicago boys and girls!")....

1. DCU plays good defense and is one of the best teams in MLS (see the previous Peter Hirdt column) on play in the last 30 minutes (ie: we score more goals then and give up very few). So why the terrible record in OT? I haven't seen all the OT losses--it would be interesting to see if there is a pattern of sorts (the record of being tough in the last 30 but then collapsing like a house of cards in a mild breeze in OT certainly implies something is going on there).

If it was about using subs, you'd see that in the last 30 minutes. If it was about "aging players" (ie: Stewart, Etcheverry, Stoichkov) than you'd see that in the last 30 minutes. I'm wondering if it's something in the style of play, tactics, approach to OT. But we're 2 different clubs in the last 30 and then OT.

2. I argued vigorously for a 442--when Olsen was healthy. In a 3-5-2 he becomes mostly a defender and man-marker. And Chris is right--teams slide in and out of systems. But I think a 3-5-2 is our best scheme right now. Why?
    --Etcheverry and Alegria (who we both need contributions from--at least as subs--b/c of all the injuries) are best in a 3-5-2.
    --We don't really have any pure outside wingers who can kick but in a 442 (Convey maybe but his game is in a funk and frankly, he might be a better contributor in the middle of the pitch).
    --Dema in a 3-5-2 can slide forward more often (and remember who our list of top scorers is--as well as who our best clutch scorer seems to be--at least in the run of play).
    --Our defenders can get it done in a 3-5-2.
    --The argument that we lost most of our games in a 3-5-2 earlier in the season ignores that we had Olsen (who doesn't fit in that scheme well), didn't have Cerritos (who can hold the ball), were starting Stoichkov (who drifted back into midfield to make it a 3-6-1) and the team was playing poorly.

Really the only arguments for NOT playing 3-5-2 in my mind are:
    --Stewart is wasted on the wing in that formation and that may be where he plays from now on.
    --It means we sit a defender and right now, our defenders are probably the most consistent players on the roster. In otherwords, if the objective is to put the 10 best field players out on the pitch in a semi-coherent scheme, than you probably put 4 (or even 5!) defenders our there b/c we've gotten consistently better performance from Namoff, Petke, Prideaux (despite the last game), Nelsen, and even Ivanov than most of our midfielders and better production than from our strikers.

I think we'll get a point (or more) against Columbus. Andrulis is a fool and it's one of the teams that we have therefore have a tactical advantage against. Still, letting it come down to the last 2 games (or, even the last game) stinks.

23. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I won't expect much then. The postseason isn't a sure thing with us playing this way.

We only needed a point, and we couldn't get it done, and ONCE AGAIN we lose to a late/OT goal.

I guess if we could've put it in the net during the first 90 minutes we wouldn't have to worry about it.

I'm really getting tired of this.

24. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's because of one team's mental weakness that we need to change this rule. I think those teams like New England, LA, and Metro who have been the beneficiaries of our late game stupidities might have a different opinion.

This is a team that finds new and exciting ways to lose.

25. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    For Columbus to tie DC, only one scenario works. Columbus must win at DC and win at home against Chicago, and DC must lose at home to Columbus and to KC. That could happen, but it's hard to see Columbus winning out given how they played the last two weeks. When they have their rematch with Chicago Damani Ralph will be back.

I'm glad I didn't have the opportunity to watch DC lose another overtime game. It looks like losing Olsen is turning out to be big loss for DC. He was really coming on when he hurt his knee.

But let's be optimistic. New England finishes with two games against the Metros. After last night's Yankees v. Red Sox game, it could be an interesting finale. DC needs to win its last two, and for NE to win one and tie one vs the Metros. That puts DC in second with 44 points, with NE and the Metros tied with 43.