Official DC United vs New England POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Official DC United vs New England POST Match Thread

<center>Not again ... :(

New England 1 : 0 DC United

No Flames
    No Trolls</center>

2. type_32

type_32 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    320+ scoreless minutes.

3. dcuvabeach

dcuvabeach New Member

May 9, 2002
    Let me keep my weekends open in October...AGAIN...We officially suck

4. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    SOME ONE PLEASE PUT THE BALL IN THE BACK OF THE GODDAMN NET....

5. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Maybe this winter MLS should combine United and the Revs. Outside of one play really United domintes this game:

-overall good defense with Nelsen giving notice that he can be the man in the middle and with Prideaux and Reyes doing their part, which lead to
    -lots of posession that lead to
    -good creativity and interesting runs, leading passes and good crosses (mainly by Convey) which lead to
    -no finishing at all.

Thought Q2 looked good and Olsen is BACK.

Snakebit we are when we lose a game such as this.

6. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game --- huge crowd, lots of countrymen there to support Eliseo, all happy and polite from what I saw but....... we couldn't score with a nickel wh*re! I've never seen so many sitters missed, crosses to no one, and chances spurned. Q2, Convey and Benny worked hard but to no avail. The bloody Revs scored on one of their two chances for the night! WE ARE OFFICIALLY THE WORST TEAM IN MLS!!!!!!!

7. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    The lack of finishing was beyond embarrassing. How can a team look so good inthe buildup and look like such a bunch of fourth-graders on the finish? Lassiter's "Chil-oopso" was particularly woeful. The only thing that felt remotely positive about the game was seeing Beninho back running his wee heart out (though puffing like a 70-year-old).

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    As an aside, we have heard that the player who is supposedly going to be traded to the Cows already knows. One would think than that said player would not have seen the field today. Three non-injured, non-GK guys rode the pine today: Namoff, Curtis, and Lazo.

9. bbarrie

bbarrie New Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Charleston, SC
    what do we think of our new forward... eddie pope?!?

he looked a bit uncomfortable up there, don't you think?

congrats to the salvadoran community, welcome back to the fold -- we missed having you guys on our side.

10. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    During the first half, there were a number of occassions when Hudson looked livid on the bench when Lassiter would screw up--especially when he fanned on perfect crosses in front of the net. (He was also pretty frustrated with the officials, and he threw his hands up at ABMOD's give-aways a couple times too.)

In any event, it's obvious Lassiter's about to take a seat behind OTC on the bench. The fact that he put Olsen in at half-time knowing he could only go 25 minutes and that he'd then need to put Pope at forward says it all.

Olsen looked great... the difference between him and Lassiter was striking. Olsen was dangerous though he should have scored.

It was a great crowd tonight--the hooliganism didn't seem to be present. Even the quiet side of the field was making noise. Quintanilla looked pretty good. I don't see him sitting for Lassiter or Curtis anytime soon.

11. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gazza is either licking his chops waiting to get on the pitch, or he's on his way to Dulles as we speak.

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    For the third game in a row....glad I missed this one.

13. dcuvabeach

dcuvabeach New Member

May 9, 2002
    I second that one...Glad I didnt make the 7 hour round trip for this crap...But that is my job's fault :(

I firmly believe Hudson should schedule a game against the Hampton Roads Mariners, whomever loses is relegated to the local U-9 House league

14. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Anybody want to join me in a big group cry??

This is absolutely rock bottom (again)..

To get shutout at home to a team that had leaked in 46 goals in 21 games is inexusable..

The lads tried their hearts out tonight, I'll definitely give them a big thumbs up for putting on a very entertaining effort, but, this little niggling thing called goal scoring is starting to piss me off a bit..

When McKinley missed that diving header, I knew right then that this team would not score tonight.. You can see it on their faces, they are a defeated team and nothing is going right for them..

We can't even get a simple PK call from Valenzuela on 1 of about 3 handballs that I saw all the way from the mezzanine.. With our luck, we would have missed the PK anyway..

Say hello to the basement of MLS and that my friends is where we will stay until next season..

Just for laughs folks, go over to the Revs boards and read the post from a guy named Jon Martin who posted "The Revs deserved to win anyway"...

I simply shook my head in amazement and wondered exactly what match he was watching....

Side notes:

Q2 looked mighty impressive to me.. He traps very well and has very good vision.. He sent the cross to Bitchie Williams in the 1st half and Richie the Tard inexplicably chested the ball straight into the arms of a charging Adin Brown.. Q2 also sent Olsen thru on a pass early in the 2nd half and Benny toepoked it towards an open net only for it to scoot agonizingly by the post.. In better times, that one easily finds the net..

Bobby Convey was almost a man among boys out there tonight.. I defy Sormun to come on here an put his performance down..

Moving Reyes to left back and putting McKinley into central midfield was one of the only strokes of genius we will ever see from Ray Hudson.. Ralston was nowhere to be found tonight after previously torching us in two earlier outings with McKinley playing left back..

Nelsen is a stud..

I LOVED the Eddie Pope move late in the game and didn't look in the least uncomfortable as one previous poster mentioned.. He was in the game for one reason only, to be a target player and he did very well for himself..

15. Darryl

Darryl Member

Nov 27, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    A few thoughts:

* So good to have Ben Olsen back. He was a little rusty of course but he also created some havoc and was a huge improvement over...

* ...Roy Lassiter. He just doesn't have the skill anymore

* Quintinilla -- I like him so far. Unlucky not to have a goal on his couple of chances. Seemed to communicate well with his new teammates. Nice to have the Salvadorans cheering for DC again.

* We played well in the first half, but blew our chances. I almost broke my chair when McKinley's torpedo header went wide.

* Eddie Pope at forward? This just illustrates that Hudson doen't have a clue what to do with this team any more. Talk about desperation.

16. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Chris I'm down for that group cry. This is beyond depressing to say the least.

At least Olsen was back. He had more chances in his first 15 minutes out there than we have had combined over our last 4 games. When he's available to go 90 in a game, maybe we can actually score.

I keep saying to myself that once this team figures out how to put one ball in the net the floodgates will open, but I just don't know anymore.

17. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    the team looked much better than the last home match. but our continued inability to muster a shot in the box killed us again. i don't how many times guys waited for the defense to close or dropped a square ball that wasn't dangerous in this game. that was frustrating.

the new forward had some pretty good skills, though i have to say he was shockingly slow for a guys his size.

it was sure fun to see olsen. he sure didn't play scared and was a real problem for NE, he is gonna be scary in a month (too little, too late).

i can see why villeags needs to leave.

nelsen played one of his best matches, he has just gotten better and better, all seen in his increased confidence.

we played more discplined than before, it helped.

etch was incredibly lazy tonight, on play someone weakly cleared to just past the area and he just stood there and let a rev, who was twice as far from the ball, and he just stood there. organize the tribute match and send him on his way.

what the hell was lassiter doing? he just can't seem to play any more, by my count he missed actually even touching, not even muffing, 5 balls in the area.

man the security dudes are punks. i am in 232 and myself and some other guys usually stand and today some marcia brady starts whinning about us standing and nags her old man to call the stadium guys. the first one comes up and asks me to sit and told him tell them to stand. a second guy, said the same thing and i told him the same thing. a third guy came, and i told him no. each one of the guys said his thing and then just left when i said no. i guess they knew they just weren't paid enough to try and actually make me sit down. they finally came back and moved the marcia brady. as i have since 96, i stood. what punks.

18. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Oh yeah, a few more things I forgot. If MLS refs knew how to call a handball, NE's goal would have been negated and we would have had THREE penalty kicks. Also, Villegas getting raped in the box from behind should've been a PK as well....ridiculous....

Twellman's caution should've been a straight red without hesitation. I guess the ref was afraid to punish the league's brightest American star for a late reckless tackle clearly meant only to injure the fouled player.

Also, it was nice meeting John_Harkes_6, Barbdett, geordienation, Vicar and any of the other BigSoccer posters who came down to La Norte tonight. I know I'm forgetting some of you, just too exhausted after the game. It was a lot of fun though, we should all hang out there more often!

19. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    See how effective Convey can be when he has players that can play the triangles and make intelligent runs for give and goes? I am glad Reyes played on the left, because I was almost willing to suggest that Convey play on the right just so they could combine and it would always give Convey an outlt and Reyes good forward balls.

Welcome to DC Eliseo, you've shown yourself quite well in your first game. :) Keep it up, we won't be the worst team in MLS very long. All we need is a couple of finishers (i.e. Moreno, Santino, Eliseo and maybe one other) to combine with the core midfielders and defenders we have now.

-Tron

20. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I can't agree with this statement whatsoever, and I think monster will back me up on this one. We were talking tonight about how Etcheverry was finally working his ass off, getting up and down the field to contribute on offense and defense, especially in the second half.

21. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Oh, and ZackDCU...when you buy La Norte beers (remember Peter Wilt does it in Chicago), put me down for a soda cuz I'm under 21.

;)

22. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Just a thought, but did anybody else notice just how well Perez, Armstrong and other former-United players played tonight? It seems that our former-team can do no wrong. Goals all the time and dangerous chances even from defenders!

Argh ... our time will come again.

-Tron

23. Soccachic14

Soccachic14 New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    To me it looked like Villegas or Q2 was the best player out there in the 1st half, Convey had some great crosses. It was even in the 1st half but only New England got the goal. In the 2nd half DC dominanted it seemed to me. Olsen came in which seemed to inspire them. Convey, Reyes, Villegas, Olsen(when he was in), and Q2 seemed to work their hearts out but still no goals. Are they ever going to score again?!

24. SoccerEsq

SoccerEsq Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Maryland SoccerPlexish
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed something. When did we start doing this sort of thing to our own guys in our own threads?

25. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WILL SOMEONE (ANYONE?) SHOOT THE BALL WHEN YOU'RE IN THE BOX? HOW MANY TIMES HAVE THEY PLAYED ONE TOUCH TOO MANY, FOR THE "PERFECT PASS", FOR THE "SCORER" TO WALK THE BALL INTO THE GOAL, UNTOUCHED?

SHOOT THE BALL, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE! YOU DON'T GET POINTS FOR PRETTY PASSING DISPLAYS IN THE BOX! GOOD THINGS HAPPEN WHEN YOU SHOOT THE BALL ON NET!

BTW, CAN YOU TELL THAT I'M UPSET? :(

Winoman