Official DC United vs MetroStars PRE Match Thread • Atlantic Cup Matchday 4

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Namoff out there. Ivanov had some nice overlaps (that's one of his strengths) but I prefer Namoff in the back.

It's hard to sit Quintanilla if he's healthy. He hasn't disappointed in a long time. I worry about using Etch only because I think Bradley knows how to paly against him. However, Etch has been playing well lately, and I think he could do some damage if his passing is on target.

Stewart was great in the midfield yesterday. I would like to see hiim stay there. Martins presence may have helped free up Petke on the set pieces.

So what do we do?

--------------- Warren -------------
    Prideaux - Nelson - Petke - Namoff
    ------------- Kovalenko ------------
    --- Quintanilla --------- Olsen -----
    -------------- Stewart --------------
    ----- Cerritos --------- Martins -----

Subs:
    Convey - for tired or underperforming midfielder
    Esky - up front
    Etch, Ivanov - if we go down a goal

If Nelson is not yet ready to go, then use Ivanov and push Prideaux inside.

2. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Why pull Convey after a good start? He's rested and ready to go. Q2 isn't a bad option, but I think there has to be a good reason to pull Convey and right now I can't think of one. If you sit Olsen, I can understand that. He's probably due for a rest.

3. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Whoever is mentioning Q1 here must have missed that he had knee surgery this week and is pretty much out for the season.

I don't know what to think about the lineup. Have to see who got banged up when they get to training tomorrow but having options at several positions is a good thing, right??

4. Cuchulain

Cuchulain Member

Feb 18, 2003
    bardo city
    Etch yes, but I don't see Q2 starting. sounds like it's convey's job to lose again. personally, I'd like to see the jersey lineup remain, but oh well. I'll be glad next season when home game no longer automatically means marco starts.

does ivanov start with nellie back and the other boys playing well?

anyone else praying we don't see hristo? ever again?

5. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now imagine having the triple threat on set peices when Nellie's back.

At this point, with second place and the playoffs hanging in the balance United should be totally focused on Sunday's game only. So the lineup should remain intact with the exceptions of keeper and Nellie.

Beat them solidly again, and they could be broken for the remainder of the season.

6. Frog Boy

Frog Boy Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United

Not me. I want Hristo back in the lineup immediately!

7. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    F analysis..........

what we need to do is win the 2nd game, finish the job..........

FINISH THE JOB.................

FINISH THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NEED TO DESTROY THE METROSTARS

8. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    What's wrong with...

Ivanov Petke Nelsen Prideaux
    Olsen Dema Convey Quintanilla
    ----------Cerritos Stewart

Gets your best available XI on the pitch.

9. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU WINS

DC-2
    NY/NJ-1

10. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect to see Earnie back up top w/ Cerritos. Etch inserted w/ Convey starting again and Eliseo a 2nd Half sub. Depending on how SICK Nellie is..he may or may not get the nod.

Ivanov was great flying up the left flank though.

I say Ivanov wide w/ Prideaux backing him up..Namhoff and Petke in the other Defensive spots.

Hopefully Nelsen is fine he goes back to the No. 5.

Dema on the Right side and Convey on the Left. Earnie is his new role w/ Martins + Cerritos.

This is for Sunday.

As for Open Cup play..well...

Etch gets a start Quintanilla gets a start as well. Olsen returns on the Rightside w/ Nellie in the backline and Alegria getting a start.

The 2 forwards..hmm..Cerritos + Earnie. w/ Stoichkov a sub.

11. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
  12. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    '...United having won the competition in 1996 while MetroStars have yet to play for an honor in club history." was a classic sentence fragment in that mls preview

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    So it's 3 points for DC, 6 for the Metros, and 4-4 in the aggregate going into the last match in the vaunted Atlantic Cup. A win gets another piece of silverware for DC (and leaves the Metros empty handed, as they should be)!

14. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    What you been smoking?????
    Hristo is nothing but a liability.
    Keep him in a suit, and on the sidelines.
    Mark

15. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    from last Sunday to next Sunday (Oct 4 vs Columbus) is 5 games in two weeks - DCU has the depth now to use our best 14 or 15 (plus strategic subs) over the long haul - constant use of only our "best" 11 will grind many of them down

the trick is realizing which players need to play more to keep their game sharp for the following game - versus which need a rest NOW to keep sharp for the following game - versus which subs to use strategically

Forwards: play Martins - so who needs a rest the most? - I'm comfortable with alternating Stewart and Cerritos upfront with Martins over the next two games

Middies: Q2 is rested so he plays - Etch could play back at Central/Off Mid but thats the only place best suited for him - Convey needed some patience and playing time - he's back - maybe not the heir apparent at Central but def dominant on the wing - give Olsen a rest? - maybe - Dema? - only to sub him out in the 2nd half if the game is well in hand

Def (assuming Nelsen is back): Namoff has earned more playing time and a potential starting role for next game(s) - give Ivanov a rest? - but he's playing really good now - maybe he needs to keep on playing to stay sharp - give Prideaux a rest? - maybe - give Petke a rest? - no - he's got too much to prove against NY - play him until he drops and he's too good in set pieces

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Open Cup, it's a player choice maybe too. Remember, Ray said he'll let Nelly and some of the guys decide if they start guys like Esky, Namoff, Stokes (and Warren...) and maybe even Carrol, the guys who got them there. Frankly I'd love to see stokes stand Cletus up, but I'm not sure I should let my imagination go too far with that matchup.

17. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Considering that Cletus is suspended for the match, it would be a pretty wild imagination seeing him on the field against Stokes..

18. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    That has got to be the best news I heard in a long time.

With Guevara out for the Sunday game and Clint out for the US Open Cup game, the Mutts are going to be hurting in the continuity department.

I feel very strong about DC United's chances in the US Open Cup.

19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been accused of having a rather large .... imagination ..... I had forgotten that, good, then maybe I'd like to see Stokes stand up the large Pole. Bring the bastards on. By Wednesday they will realize they have no hope at any hardware yet again....

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there is only one problem with this scenario as well. Martins CANNOT play in the Open Cup match. He played in the tournament already for the Riverhounds and thus cant play with another team in the same tournament. I think you are right though. With Martin unable to play on Wednesday, you MUST play him in the game on Sunday if only to give the guys who will play on wednesday a rest. The question is what do you do with Cerritos and Stewart? do we really expect Stewart to play 3 games in 7 days at the age of 34? whoa, that's a tough one. do they keep him out of one game? if so, which game? Can Cerritos play 3 straight? when does Etch play? do you pull off a hot Olsen? bench a fresh guy, like Convey????? which game do you think is more important ........ sunday or wednesday in the cup?? maybe people disagree with me here, but I actually think that Wednesday is the more important of the 2 games because it's an elimination game that would put us ONE game away from a title if we won it. This is a really difficult lineup choice for Huddy. I would hate to be him.

21. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Convey is NOT playing in a central mid role. Say it slowly and clearly. Right now he isn't as good as Marco, Stewart, OR Cheyo in that role. Why do certain people refuse to accept this? (end my Sornum like rant...)

My bet is Marco and Cheyo both start this Sunday... Of course I may be wrong... but i still bet you several beers that Convey doesnt start in the playmaking mid role!

(skipping my prediction b/c its bad luck)

22. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    1) the combo of Earnie and Martins is what made our set plays so dangerous.

2) I was impressed by how "at home" Martins seemed to be up top. I think it should be a no brainer to play him again Sunday given he can't play Wed.

3) Earnie's not going to play on Wed, I'd guess, because he hasn't started any of the open cup matches and he'll need a break. So play him Sunday.

4) None of us know if Q2 is really 100 percent. If so, then possibly give Ben a half off. Also none of us know if Nellie is 100. No need to play a player who is not.

5) We've got ourselves a team now, and it would be foolish to mess much with it.

SO

Warren (could not stop laughing at the faces he was making)

Ivanov Namoff(Nellie) Petke Prideaux

Olsen Convey Dema(D-Mid) Stewart(A-Mid)

Martins Cerritos Eats Fritos(R) (CEF)

My question to each and everyone of you special peeps is WHAT would you do differently if you were Bradley, given Guevera. Might be more interesting to look at that bench. I wonder if we'll see Perchie boy, who has done a very good job of shutting Ben down in the past.

DHS

23. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    he started and if i recall correctly, played 90 minutes at wilmington. though i am sure they must plan to rest him at least a half somewhere in the next two.

24. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Earnie is the one guy I doubt will take a rest. That guy used to play for Breda on Saturday, fly back to the US for qualifiers on Wednesday and head back to play again the next Saturday. Cerritos should also be OK since he played so little for Dallas. The midfielders and defenders could use some rotating.

25. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    You mean people like Bruce Arena who started him centrally against both Wales and in a more important match against Costa Rica in the 3rd place match during the Gold Cup?

I see what you are say though. I think right now Convey will be better suited for playing on the left.. But to dismiss his ability in the middle of the field is foolish IMHO..

People have really short memories when it comes to Convey's effectiveness in the middle of the field.. Who was that guy playing beside Marco last season during our late season push to get out of the cellar?

I think Convey is probably most effective centrally in a 5 man midfield where his defensive responsibilities aren't as overwhelming..

Just don't dismiss his ability in the middle.. Arena doesn't and that's good enough for me.....